Prostate problems

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
Miloman

Prostate problems

Post by Miloman »

Can anybody tell me if the general have the laser system for reducing the size of the prostrate please.
Previously MofArodes on CL
trevnhil

Re: Prostrate problems

Post by trevnhil »

That treatment has never even been mentioned to me in the 9 years or so of seeing the urologist.
But of course that does not accurately answer your question.
Trev..
Miloman

Post by Miloman »

Thanks Trev, I guess I will have to visit and ask if nobody on the forum knows. It is the latest non evasive treatment for an enlarged prostrate which many of us will suffer from in later life.
outasite

Post by outasite »

If your prostate is enlarged get a biopsy as soon as possible. Mine was growing very slowly and I had a biopsy at the General and was found to have the very first stages of cancer. I am now getting treatment for this. I have not been told of laser treatment and certainly the General will not have it as I would have been treated by them rather than having to travel to Nicosia.
Travelling to Nicosia is a small price to pay for the alternative.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I had a biopsy a couple of years ago and all the samples were clear. I am on tablets only... at the moment.
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

I also use the general and as far as I am aware they do not use Laser treatment in Pafos for Prostate enlargement reduction, as far as I know, they just prescribe me pills for the condition and of course blood testing. unfortunately, I could not afford private surgical treatment.
Jim.
Miloman

Post by Miloman »

Thank you all for your replies
Mike
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:16 pm Remember to haggle the price: Cypriots do! Seem to remember my son-in-law got the price of his varicose vein surgery down by about 25%, just from haggling.
I am sure there is a Monty Python sketch in there somewhere. I mean the price haggling, not varicose vein surgery.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
robf

Post by robf »

I was turped in the UK by Mr Bottom (I kid you not), took longer than i expected to recover, but all fine now. I remember reading somewhere that laser treatment is much less traumatic and is done on an outpatient basis, but needs repeating more often.
Haggle sketch from Monty Pythons life of Brian (should be mandatory for those moving to Cyprus :))
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I was thinking more along the lines of a patient going in for gall bladder removal, but by haggling ends up with an appendectomy at half the price, at which point Graham Chapman would enter in his army uniform and tell them to stop being so silly. Or something.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Anyone with Prostrate problems is WORRIED. I also had early stages of Prostate Cancer. My choice >>>>I flew to Athens and had BRACHYTHERAPY. That was 11 1/2 years ago. CURED. I still have a PSA test every year to re-assure myself. I was in Hosp for two nights only. This treatment is also done in the UK. Anyone on a state pension (UK) can get FREE NHS treatment in the UK.
Last edited by Lincoln on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Correct!! unless you're lying down of course :-) :-)
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Lincoln wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:14 pm Anyone with Prostrate problems is WORRIED. I also had early stages of Prostrate Cancer. My choice >>>>I flew to Athens and had BRACHYTHERAPY. That was 11 1/2 years ago. CURED. I still have a PSA test every year to re-assure myself. I was in Hosp for two nights only. This treatment is also done in the UK. Anyone on a state pension (UK) can get FREE NHS treatment in the UK.
Not CURED; you are in remission. My oncologist and my urologist (in Switzerland) have always drummed into me that cancer is never cured. I was zapped in 1995 after a PSA of 28. After 1 year my PSA was about 0.4 and it stayed that way, in remission, for about 15 years with no treatment. Then it started to rise again to 4 over a couple of years (out of remission) and I was put on Zoladex and bicalitamide which has brought me back into remission at about 0.2,

My curiosity: have you had any lasting side-effects from the brachytherapy?
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Can someone please explain what a 'good doctor's digit' test means, please? AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The doctor pokes his rubber gloved finger up your behind to feel if there are any abnormalities
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Devil wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:19 pm
Lincoln wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:14 pm Anyone with Prostrate problems is WORRIED. I also had early stages of Prostrate Cancer. My choice >>>>I flew to Athens and had BRACHYTHERAPY. That was 11 1/2 years ago. CURED. I still have a PSA test every year to re-assure myself. I was in Hosp for two nights only. This treatment is also done in the UK. Anyone on a state pension (UK) can get FREE NHS treatment in the UK.
Not CURED; you are in remission. My oncologist and my urologist (in Switzerland) have always drummed into me that cancer is never cured. I was zapped in 1995 after a PSA of 28. After 1 year my PSA was about 0.4 and it stayed that way, in remission, for about 15 years with no treatment. Then it started to rise again to 4 over a couple of years (out of remission) and I was put on Zoladex and bicalitamide which has brought me back into remission at about 0.2,

My curiosity: have you had any lasting side-effects from the brachytherapy?
No side effects. The director of the Cancer Hospital assured me I was cured for life. Sorry to hear that yours re-appeared.
All things are possible
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

OMG, it's bad enough going to the dentist for a routine check-up and scrape. Let alone to the hospital for someone to poke their rubber-gloved finger up your rectum and feel around...

I thought they had little cameras and x-rays for this kind of investigative stuff nowadays?

Ouch! AL :)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The biopsy is much worse than that :-)
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Thanks, Trev. Going to bed now, shaken and stirred... Cheers- AL :cry:
daveg

Post by daveg »

Having had a PSA test every year since I was 55, €20 Evangelismos Hosp. Just walk in results in 2 hrs, it was obvious that the results were trending upwards to the point of having a biopsy.
Within 10 days I had the prostate removed after the biopsy results showed cancer was in its earliest stage.
BTW the PSA test isn't full proof but anything with a reading above 4 is considered a warning...mine went up to 6.3.....so gentleman get a test.
I Must stress I had NO symptoms....