Chronic lower back pain relief

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
Post Reply
rambo
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:10 am

Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by rambo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Has anyone had any success or otherwise using antepilepsy drugs for treatment of the above.

Paul.

User avatar
Devil
Posts: 2427
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 am
Location: Mosfiloti

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by Devil » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:54 pm

I will not answer your question because I believe it to be outside the remit of the forum such as this. What I will state is that there are tens of possible causes for lower back pain some of which are relatively banal while others can be very serious. The real answer to your question can be given only by a qualified professional.

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 6327
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:11 am

I disagree. I have suffered lower back pain (and sometimes excrutiating lower back pain) for the past 40 years, following an accident in which I cracked/crushed three vertebrae.

My pain is very easily managed using Organic Turmeric tablets like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... =UTF8&th=1 Read the Reviews. Most times I take just one a day at breakfast, but in more stressful times I might also take one at lunch or even dinner. Relief with 5 minutes of taking a tablet. Recommended to this remedy by Jackie on this forum.

If I really stress my back by overdoing it (like extended use of a hedge-trimmer a fortnight ago), Voltarol gel rubbed on my lower back brings complete and utter relief within 5 minutes. We buy our Voltarol from chemists in the UK, as it is stronger than the version sold in Cyprus pharmacies. But I might only need to use Voltarol once every 2 or 3 months. I suspect there may even be a Cyprus version of Voltarol available, but a pharmacist could advise.

Wife and I avoid prescription drugs, except on a very short term basis, like the plague.

User avatar
DocDoc
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:47 pm
Location: Mandria

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by DocDoc » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:11 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:11 am
I disagree. I have suffered lower back pain (and sometimes excrutiating lower back pain) for the past 40 years, following an accident in which I cracked/crushed three vertebrae.

My pain is very easily managed using Organic Turmeric tablets like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... =UTF8&th=1 Read the Reviews. Most times I take just one a day at breakfast, but in more stressful times I might also take one at lunch or even dinner. Relief with 5 minutes of taking a tablet. Recommended to this remedy by Jackie on this forum.

If I really stress my back by overdoing it (like extended use of a hedge-trimmer a fortnight ago), Voltarol gel rubbed on my lower back brings complete and utter relief within 5 minutes. We buy our Voltarol from chemists in the UK, as it is stronger than the version sold in Cyprus pharmacies. But I might only need to use Voltarol once every 2 or 3 months. I suspect there may even be a Cyprus version of Voltarol available, but a pharmacist could advise.

Wife and I avoid prescription drugs, except on a very short term basis, like the plague.
At my age back pain has been a problem, until as Happy in Cyprus has done, I take Turmeric with Cumin & black pepper tablets. One, sometimes two a day if I've stressed the back. Turmeric is a known pain killer.
It's Back to the Future folks ;)

trevnhil
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:12 pm
Location: Polemi

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by trevnhil » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:40 pm

I too take Turmeric tablets, one a day.. Unfortunately I have not seen any great pain relief despite taking a 10,000 mg tablet a day
Trev..

jeba
Posts: 1198
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by jeba » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:04 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:11 am
My pain is very easily managed using Organic Turmeric tablets
That doesn´t mean it will help others who may have completely different causes for their pain.

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 6327
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:29 pm

Well, until you try it, you'll never know, will you? And at £10 or so for a jar you're not going to lose a lifetime's savings finding out.

I tried them on account of Jackie's recommendation on Paphos Life and they work brilliantly for me. If you try them and they don't work, you've wasted £10.

Wife and I always try to seek a natural or herbal remedy rather than go on prescription drugs.

User avatar
DocDoc
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:47 pm
Location: Mandria

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by DocDoc » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:49 pm

trevnhil wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:40 pm
I too take Turmeric tablets, one a day.. Unfortunately I have not seen any great pain relief despite taking a 10,000 mg tablet a day
Hello trevnhil, You don't say if it's just Turmeric, or with the added ingredients. However, this is the nutritional information from my bottle so you can compare. As someone else commented, maybe your pain regrettably doesn't respond to these capsules, whatever the strength or number taken.
.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (147.98 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
It's Back to the Future folks ;)

rambo
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:10 am

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by rambo » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:56 pm

Just to clarify I didn't just dream it up, the anti epilepsy drugs are proposed by my GP however my friend Google tells me that there are significantly more potential side effects than he told me of, strangely even in some cases worsening lower back pain. Due to other issues NSAID's and Turmeric are ruled out hence my original question regarding the efficacy or not of anti epilepsy drugs.

Paul.

jeba
Posts: 1198
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by jeba » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:29 pm
Well, until you try it, you'll never know, will you? And at £10 or so for a jar you're not going to lose a lifetime's savings finding out.

I tried them on account of Jackie's recommendation on Paphos Life and they work brilliantly for me. If you try them and they don't work, you've wasted £10.

Wife and I always try to seek a natural or herbal remedy rather than go on prescription drugs.
Before going on any drugs you should be properly diagnosed.

User avatar
DocDoc
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:47 pm
Location: Mandria

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by DocDoc » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:00 pm

General Practitioners are mostly not trained to prescribe natural/herbal medicines as their training has been for using manufactured drugs, according to my wife who was a senior nurse.
It's Back to the Future folks ;)

jeba
Posts: 1198
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by jeba » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:03 pm

DocDoc wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:00 pm
General Practitioners are mostly not trained to prescribe natural/herbal medicines as their training has been for using manufactured drugs, according to my wife who was a senior nurse.
But they should be trained to rule out causes for which medication (or medication alone) isn´t suitable like e. g. tumors or discus prolapses.

User avatar
DocDoc
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:47 pm
Location: Mandria

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by DocDoc » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:35 pm

jeba wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:03 pm
DocDoc wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:00 pm
General Practitioners are mostly not trained to prescribe natural/herbal medicines as their training has been for using manufactured drugs, according to my wife who was a senior nurse.
But they should be trained to rule out causes for which medication (or medication alone) isn´t suitable like e. g. tumors or discus prolapses.
GP's here will frequently pass you on to a specialist if it's not something simple. I know from recent experience, whereby I have reached the €150 co-payment limit & the 10 GP visit limit. I was told that I would have to pay €15 next time I visited my GP. However, although they are aware I have a chronic disease, they had overlooked the fact that people suffering with a chronic disease have unlimited visits to their GP without charge.
It's Back to the Future folks ;)

Firefly
Posts: 2574
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:08 pm
Location: Hereford UK

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by Firefly » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:54 pm

Rambo

I have been prescribed an anti epilepsy drug for pain in the past. It was used in a cocktail of heavy analgesics for my back pain, so it's efficacy as a stand alone drug I know not.

I now only take Turmeric with the odd paracetamol if the weather is damp. So glad to be off the heavy meds.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

User avatar
Devil
Posts: 2427
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 am
Location: Mosfiloti

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by Devil » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:34 am

I find this thread both alarming and dangerous. How dare anyone suggesting – even prescribing – the use of any substance for any condition they have or may think they have, particularly with untried mixtures of substances, some of which are capable of causing great harm? In my opinion, such mixtures may cause much more harm than good and should be prescription only. I have seen shop windows loaded with bottle/jars purporting to contain (without full details on the label) various cure-alls. In some countries, I believe this is illegal – and should be! Don't forget that the inordinate use of substances may result in serious diseases 20 or more years later.

My advice is that if a non-prescription substance is taken regularly, it would be foolish to pretend that any perceived improvements may not have dreadful consequences later in life. In particular, such substances and – more importantly – those whose purity is in doubt may well be the cause of many long-term problems in later life.

Firefly
Posts: 2574
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:08 pm
Location: Hereford UK

Re: Chronic lower back pain relief

Post by Firefly » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:48 am

Before I started to take turmeric, I consulted my GP, he said to me, that if a spice could replace the heavy medication that I was on, in his words, 'go for it'. I would never expect anyone to take any substance without consulting their own GP first. That would be foolhardy.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Post Reply