Cyta alternative

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
MacManiac

Cyta alternative

Post by MacManiac »

Cyta is driving us to distraction, and we have been without internet access between 23rd July - 3rd August and from 19th August onwards. We have been fobbed off and told different things every time we ring or go into the shop, and still there is no end in sight.

What are the legal and practical alternatives locally? I have read about WiFi internet and also “broadband in a box”, but anecdotally these services are reported to not be as reliable as wired internet.

We have/had 30 Mb download which was fine for our needs. Any “don’t touch this firm with a barge pole” information by PM please.
mike strand2

Re: Cyta alternative

Post by mike strand2 »

I just recently looked at alternatives for my neighbour. At the time, EPIC had some good offers. I have been with Primetel for over 11 years and am generally quite happy with them. Their technical dept are good, though their Admin not quite as good. My neighbour was paying well over the odds for Cyta.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I use Ecotech and have done for over 2 years now, I have had no trouble with them, they are based in Polis but now set up in Paphos also , their prices are similar to Cyta but without the line rental.
They are on the internet if you want to take a look I pay them by Paypal on line but can pay by card also if I want.
Last edited by Uncle D on Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Have been with CYTA for 23 years. Never had any serious problems and found them always polite and helpful. As a matter of fact, only today, I queried them on getting 20 Mb per second instead of the 30 I was paying for. Explanation: we are too far from the junction box but they are offering to change my subscription down from 30 to 20. I will ask them to make it retroactive! :-)
J B

Post by J B »

Devil wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:22 pm I will ask them to make it retroactive! :-)
Is that the same as retrospective? :lol: ;) :lol:
J B
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

retroactive E17.

1. Of legislation etc.: extending in scope or effect to the past, retrospective; backdated. (Foll. by to.) E17.

2. Operating in a backward direction. rare. E17.
-active implies doing something
-spective implies seeing something
subtle differences

Sorry, Dom, for the grammar lesson but I was asked!
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Nearly four weeks of no service from Cyta and they emailed yesterday they “may” be able to get a team out next week. We feel this is beyond a joke.

I contacted a local firm, well recommended by friends, and they installed a WiFi service this morning. It took an hour and we are now getting 35 Mb download.

Another email from Cyta telling me that - when the service is finally restored - they will let me know the complaints’ procedure.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Five weeks to the day we let them know we had a problem, Cyta arrived. Two vehicles and three men. Seventeen minutes later and they all left. There had been talk of severe underground cable problems, the need for underground cameras, and all that happened was a cable was pulled from one end of the underground ducting to the other (about 200 metres) and connected to our box. No excavators as had been threatened which had had our landlord reaching for his Valium, no damage to the electricity cable which is ducted beneath the telecoms cable.

The first we knew about all of this was when our dog went into the garden to investigate a noise and found a Cyta engineer had climbed over our locked drive gate.

Too late Cyta - we are more than delighted with Ecotech from Polis.

The end result - still no Cyta internet despite today’s work.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Just to complete the tale ... we decided to ditch Cyta and contacted Ecotech in Polis. They were with us within a day, put antenna on our roof and sorted out the router. We were connected within minutes. We received 35 Mb download for the same price as 30 Mb from Cyta. For the last four months there has not been a glitch. And then, just before Christmas, they unilaterally increased our speed from 35 Mb to 45 Mb, for the same price. I cannot tell you how impressed I am with this company, and the fears I had about wireless broadband seem totally unfounded.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

MacManiac wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:09 pm Just to complete the tale ... we decided to ditch Cyta and contacted Ecotech in Polis. They were with us within a day, put antenna on our roof and sorted out the router. We were connected within minutes. We received 35 Mb download for the same price as 30 Mb from Cyta. For the last four months there has not been a glitch. And then, just before Christmas, they unilaterally increased our speed from 35 Mb to 45 Mb, for the same price. I cannot tell you how impressed I am with this company, and the fears I had about wireless broadband seem totally unfounded.
I agree. They are brilliant. We have them in Tala and the service from installation to now has been superb. I did have one slight problem and they sent a technician out within an hour. I was recommended them by friends and am very happy with my internet!
RN13

Post by RN13 »

Hallo. I just bought a smart TV and need a technician to set it up. Tala area. Thanks for any suggestions.