500 Britons become Cypriots in the shadow of a hard Brexit

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
The Aquila

Re: 500 Britons become Cypriots in the shadow of a hard Brexit

Post by The Aquila » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Admittedly Cyprus needed a shake up but if the EU had been stronger with Greece and not written off the majority of the debts, including those to Cyprus, then Cyprus would not have been in quite the state it was then this success story would have been here sooner.

outasite

Post by outasite » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:53 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:44 pm
outasite wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:45 am
Yup, they'll stay with the demon barber. Short back and sides for your bank accounts. Bargain./

Thank yer lucky stars the EU was there to bail out a failed and bankrupt island nation. Were it not for the Troika all the banks would have likely failed; developers too...and then what else?

The EU gave Cyprus rules to live by and get its house in order; which is why we witness the success story we have today.
The European Union did not have the right to take funds from any private bank account in any Cyprus bank. It rode roughshod over the country and stole money from those who were unlucky enough to have excess funds in their accounts. So the Cyprus success story of today has been built on the fact that Cyprus was pressured into taking money it was not entitled to. Still, I expect nothing less from an unaccountable entity.

Les Bean

Post by Les Bean » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:45 pm

Think I'll hang on and piggy-back off my wife's Scottish passport!!

josef k

Post by josef k » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:38 pm

A recent survey indicates increased support for the EU within the Cypriot community. The majority of Cypriots want to remain in the EU.