Proton Beam Cancer Therapy programme BBC1

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Happy in Cyprus

Proton Beam Cancer Therapy programme BBC1

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:13 am

I'm posting this in the General Discussion area and hope that Dominic can leave it here for a few days, so people get to see this post.

Last night wife and I watched the most amazing documentary on one of the latest forms of cancer treatment - proton beam. We agreed it was probably the best documentary we have seen in many years, both in the story-telling, the breathtaking time-lapse video of how treatment centres are built (one in London and one in Manchester), the safety precautions necessary with proton beam treatment and the detailed explanation of how proton beam therapy works. Towards the end of the programme we witnessed the treatment being given to children with tumours, who could not otherwise be treated by conventional radiation or chemotherapy etc. One young lad had a tumour right in the middle of his brain, and the proton beam could target the cancer so accurately, so precisely, without affecting surrounding delicate tissue. His forward prognosis is excellent.

The programme was on BBC2 at around 9m, Monday just gone, so you only have a few days left to watch it on 7-day catch-up. It was called "The 250 million pound cancer cure". The programme may be available on iPlayer for longer.

Many of us will have been affected by cancer either first- or second-hand, but regardless I guarantee that anyone watching this programme will be absolutely captivated by it. It was edge-of-the-seat stuff.

Maggie B

Re: Proton Beam Cancer Therapy programme BBC1

Post by Maggie B » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:21 am

Thanks for the 'heads up' Lloyd. 😊

Maggie B

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:47 am

Meant to watch this KE for reminder, as I do work with the Christie and knew of the system they had spent millions putting in.

smudger

Post by smudger » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:43 pm

Thanks for that Lloyd, I have a close friend undergoing cancer treatment at the moment so will be interested in the info.

Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Just watched it now , I used to work at Christie , until I took early retirement in 2006 . I was a maintenance electrician .

In the tv show I saw somebody I used to know .

The new treatment in the program looks amazing .