Rare findings....(pics)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Rare findings....(pics)

Post by Dominic »

I thought you had got wood then for a minute Max. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Hi Max, this looks like a typical example of a UPL (upper pillow lavas) that are usually met with Quartz veins! If the mineral shown in the pic is Quartz, then i am quite sure
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

ph06kg1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 pm Hi Max, this looks like a typical example of a UPL (upper pillow lavas) that are usually met with Quartz veins! If the mineral shown in the pic is Quartz, then i am quite sure

Thank you George, yes it was from a huge quartz boulder and was extremely hard to get it...

Max
Polkri1606

Post by Polkri1606 »

Hello everyone! I know it’s an old discussion but i would like to participate as I’m a rock/crystal enthusiast as well!:) i would like to thank cyprusmax47 and ph06kg1 (George) for their wonderful and informative posts! It seems that i cannot post any pics at the moment due to my lack of knowledge of how to shrink my photos as I’m getting the error msg that file is too big. If u can help me with that it will be awesome! Thank u all!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Images can be a max width and height of 1024 pixels, and a max size of 256K.

MS Paint can resize them for you, or there are online tools available.
andytspencer

Post by andytspencer »

You could try Lit Photo to reduce the jpeg size by up to 80% and the jpeg on a smart phone looks fine.
Polkri1606

Post by Polkri1606 »

Thank you for ur response! Tonight when i get home I’ll try them! Dominic I’ve noticed that u are from Polemi.. I live in Stroumbi! Neighbors:)
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Glad to help Polkri1606! Well, if the rock section revives, i am more than happy to contribute too :)!
Polkri1606

Post by Polkri1606 »

Actually George i think we’ve already spoke in the past. My name is Polis if that sounds familiar! Of course it was long ago when i started my rock hound adventures.. its nice to see that u are still active!! Tonight when i get home at my PC I’ll try to post some findings of my own!!
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Yes, i do remember you! Yiap, ofcourse i am still active, you can't quit that easily hehehe, ok!
Polkri1606

Post by Polkri1606 »

ok here goes nothing... :)

Big Analcime crystals with some smaller calcite crystals at the top. Near Lysos.
Analcine.jpg
Analcine.jpg (129.03 KiB) Viewed 2141 times

Here is the front of this beautiful Calcite cluster found near Droushia Village. This is also called Nailhead Calcite.
Calcite.jpg
Calcite.jpg (142.88 KiB) Viewed 2141 times

And here is the back site of the same cluster. Beautiful Right? :D
Calcite_Back.jpg
Calcite_Back.jpg (144.51 KiB) Viewed 2141 times

Here is a Quartz cluster with this amazing well formed crystal. This is called Quartz var. Smoky "Morion". This specific specimen for unknown reasons turned into this Gray color (possibilities are the color fated away from long time exposure to sun or weather conditions. Maybe replaced by another mineral while growing or etched. Found near Fyti village with the next one.
Morion2_Gray_Quartz.jpg
Morion2_Gray_Quartz.jpg (122.63 KiB) Viewed 2141 times

And of course my personal favorite.. Quartz var. Smoky "Morion".
Morion_Quartz.jpg
Morion_Quartz.jpg (158.07 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
Hope u will enjoy. With More to come!
Ps: At the moment my focus is Paphos area. All the specimens are collected by me and all are from Paphos.

Oh and btw my name is Polis. Nice to (virtually) meet u all! :lol:
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Very nice samples Polis! Well done! But i dont think that is actually morion, I think that is quartz with carbon inclusions (morion is solid black) but again i cannot be sure without getting a closer look. Paphos is a perfect prospecting area, especially the unexplored hills around Limni mine!
Polkri1606

Post by Polkri1606 »

Thank you George! Nowhere near u or cyprusmax but I’m trying my best! This specimen of Quartz has some black crystals (majority) some smoky and some typical “transparent” whitish. Sorry to ask George but is there anyway to contact u in private? I really need ur experience in identifying some minerals that I’m not certain with.. i really need somebody knowledgeable to guide me.. Everything i know comes from the internet and as u already know there’s very little to none about the minerals of Cyprus. Now I’m trying to learn crystallography on my own (habits, cleavage, Miller indices etc) so i can recognize some of the minerals that I’m coming across and to help others too. Anyways that’s the story of my life! Hahah! Hope to hear from u soon! Cheers!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Very nice specimens.
ph06kg1

Post by ph06kg1 »

Polkri1606 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:33 pm Thank you George! Nowhere near u or cyprusmax but I’m trying my best! This specimen of Quartz has some black crystals (majority) some smoky and some typical “transparent” whitish. Sorry to ask George but is there anyway to contact u in private? I really need ur experience in identifying some minerals that I’m not certain with.. i really need somebody knowledgeable to guide me.. Everything i know comes from the internet and as u already know there’s very little to none about the minerals of Cyprus. Now I’m trying to learn crystallography on my own (habits, cleavage, Miller indices etc) so i can recognize some of the minerals that I’m coming across and to help others too. Anyways that’s the story of my life! Hahah! Hope to hear from u soon! Cheers!
Glad to hear that you study Physics! I am a physicist myself. But knowing crystallography will not necessarily help you idenify minerals; some need years of experience, others need some scientific knowledge, while others lab experiments or even instinct. But this area of Physics is fascinating, loved it when i was a student myself! I would love to help you Polis, even go together for a rockhounding (i live miles away from you, in Larnaka)! Unfortunately i do not currently have a fb account (or any other media), but i answered you on youtube. Also, if you want, i can send you my phone number to discuss from viber if you like!

Greetings, George K.
Polkri1606

Post by Polkri1606 »

Thank u Dominic! George for some reason i cannot find ur answer on youtube.. this is my email poliskrini @ yahoo.com (without the spaces). U can send ur phone here if u like to add u to viber! I would love some rockhounding with u!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You can communicate via PM. Just click on the persons name and it is an option.

PM stands for Private Message