Choulou Paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

Choulou Paphos

Post by Paul »

Just asking are there any members living in Choulou and what is it like living there.
what are the living expenses in Choulou council tax, internet, electric, and so on.
Paul
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Choulou Paphos

Post by Dominic »

Don't live there but drive through there every so often. I would imagine it is fairly quiet, but with barking dogs. This pretty much sums up most villages. There is, I think, one tavern there, but there are other villages nearby.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Internet and electricity should be the same as anywhere else, council tax is usually cheaper than main Pafos villages around €110, and water charges usually cheaper also.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Dominic wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:10 pm Don't live there but drive through there every so often. I would imagine it is fairly quiet, but with barking dogs. This pretty much sums up most villages. There is, I think, one tavern there, but there are other villages nearby.
Your perfectly right Dominic,if you live in a village here you,ll have to accept...…...barking dogs. :roll:
Oh, when we first come here some fifteen years ago we lived in a tourist area and it was less noisy than the tiny village we live in now.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

I stayed in a hotel for 2 weeks prior to moving to my new home in a village 5 km from the harbour area, the hotel had people coming in all hours of the night and traffic noise doors banging and kids running around , thought village life would be quieter but soon found out the truth , dogs barking, cockerels crowing and church bells ringing from 6 am. Maddening at first but soon became par for the course and over a period of time became accustomed to it.......wouldn't swop it for place nearer the centre or harbour area .....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

At the moment the frogs make more noise than the dogs anyway. :D
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Just to add, if expenses are a concern, your a long way from Paphos or Polis, so fuel costs will be an issue.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

If your getting on in life Old and retired. Health could be an issue. If your miles away from a medical centre etc, it could be an issue.
All things are possible
lotus

Post by lotus »

Hi both,yes we have lived in Choulou for years,lovely quiet village,few dogs barking sometimes but no worse than anywhere else,council tax etc very cheap,not many Brits,villagers very friendly,lovely walks here as well,two coffee shops,plenty restaurants close by,the village has a long history as well,any more info required let me know
lotus

Post by lotus »

Hi again, I am the partner of the previous writer. Have lived in Choulou since 2003. It is a small sadly dwindling community as the inhabitants are elderly. It is very traditional and very quiet. You have to be organised out here as we are a long way from anywhere. There is no shop but a bus runs twice daily...not Sunday. It is a long drive to Pafos but there is a shop in Tsada and Polemi, both are considerable drives. The villagers are mostly related, friendly and it helps to speak Greek.You have to be prepared to travel to amenities. We currently have two kafeneios. If you need any other info please ask.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Hi, the original kafeneio tenant of 20 years has now moved to next door to where she was originally. Her name is Nitsa. At Christmas the place that has been the kafeneio for donkeys years was taken over by Bulgarian people.
I wouldn,t call either a taverna as such but they are open 7 days week, give or take a day here and there.