Driving in your “Dotage”

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Firefly

Re: Driving in your “Dotage”

Post by Firefly »

Granville

I did not say that he should be hounded after and prosecuted, either he was blinded by the sun or not, we may never know.

I know that road quite well, I have driven down it myself a quite few times, it's a long fairly straight road, and I do not remember it having any 'blind' spots. Yes it's a fast road, but regular users are aware of that, at a T junction joining that road I would say it's very dangerous to drive out on to it without stopping to asses the safety of same, sunshine or no sunshine.

Philip will have his supporters, he also has his critics, but if one is unable to drive in a safe manner, being a danger to other road users, surely something must be done about that, before it's too late.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Emergency services were scrambled to a road traffic accident near Sandringham today when a 97 year old Greek immigrant pulled out into oncoming traffic.

The Greek father of four who has been living on state benefits since his arrival in the UK in 1947 and is housed in a Grade2 Jacobean style mansion in the area worth millions of pounds was unavailable for comment.

Neighbours said "You often see the family in the area, none of them seem to work but they always have plenty of money".
Varky

Post by Varky »

I understand that the back-seat passenger is complaining that no one from 'the Palace' has been in touch to say 'sorry'. If I understand correctly any lawyer in such circumstances would advise its client not to contact the injured party and definitely not to accept responsibility, which I think use of the word 'sorry' would construe. Despite this I thing 'the Palace' has actually been in touch.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

:lol: :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Varky wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:54 am I understand that the back-seat passenger is complaining that no one from 'the Palace' has been in touch to say 'sorry'. If I understand correctly any lawyer in such circumstances would advise its client not to contact the injured party and definitely not to accept responsibility, which I think use of the word 'sorry' would construe. Despite this I thing 'the Palace' has actually been in touch.
Yep. Say nothing other than exchange details. On no account run around yelling "Jesus Christ what have I done!"
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

So, it's happened...
Driving licence will be surrendered:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47186875
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Just seen the same …………………………… at least it was "voluntarily" allegedly!

Shane
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

According to the news, it will be taken into account by the police when 'considering' a prosecution.

Jackie
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:56 pm According to the news, it will be taken into account by the police when 'considering' a prosecution.

Jackie
By that logic, if I shoot somebody dead, hand the gun over to the police and say I can't/won't do it again, I should get off scot-free!
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Firefly wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:56 pm According to the news, it will be taken into account by the police when 'considering' a prosecution.

Jackie
Yes, that snippet of information wasn't released until after the initial press post on the BBC News website was issued. We caught it on TV later in the evening.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:05 pm It does amuse me, when “considering” a prosecution...sorry but this was an accident, an accident that could happen to anyone of us..was it premeditated? I don’t think so...how many accidents of this nature happen every day? And it is just handled by the insurance companies...was he to old to drive..yes I believe he was and I would state the same of anyone his age, and to be honest a lot younger....
He already said he was blinded by low sunlight - so if he couldn't see, he should have hung on a bit longer before pulling out onto the road. He hardly had a queue of traffic behind him... so another minute wouldn't have hurt anyone. Maybe taking time to wind the window down would have helped him to hear there was another car?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Whether he waited a bit longer is hypothetical really, had he done so he would have missed that car but could have hit the next one coming along! Events like this are a conclusion of actions …………………………… 10 seconds earlier or 10 seconds later changes everything, unfortunately though when it's your turn there is not a lot you can do about it as I can testify!

Shane
smudger

Post by smudger »

Agree Hudswell, could have been any one of us.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Sorry can't agree, surely not ALL of us would have pulled out onto a main road at a T junction, without stopping to see if the road was clear, I certainly wouldn't ? Blinded by sunshine or not, it's a very dangerous manoeuvre. I think in the main, it wouldn't have happened to any one of us.

Hudswell, of course it wasn't 'premeditated', but accidents are caused, in this case by the car Philip was driving pulling out in front of another vehicle. My 'thank you' was done in error.

Devil, best ask the police that one.

Jackie
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Mine was the opposite, a guy pulled out in front of me at a T junction, the result was I hit him at 60mph ……………… I walked away thankfully!

Shane
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

Phillip by his stupid action pulling out into a main road almost killed three people , because he is married to the Queen people making excuses for him , the fact he has "voluterelhy handed in his licence " should make no dfference with the CPS
WHL

Post by WHL »

OldTimer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:51 pm Phillip by his stupid action pulling out into a main road almost killed three people , because he is married to the Queen people making excuses for him , the fact he has "voluterelhy handed in his licence " should make no dfference with the CPS
Agree 100%
But anyone with half a brain cell, will know he will not be dealt with, the same way as the peasants.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hmm, 'driving without due care and attention' maybe, 'dangerous driving' even, people are charged for 'this type of accident', it's also worth noting that it is no longer classed as an accident, it's a road traffic collision, and as far as I'm aware, he has not been 'dealt with' yet. We shall see.

Jackie
WHL

Post by WHL »

Most peasants get booked when not.wearing seat belts. Remind us just how many times Phil the Greek was pictured driving with out a seat belt... Yep just as you say there's one law for all
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 pm Never mind, come the revolution eh....😉
Breaking news its 2019, not the middle ages,.... Isn't it time you got off your knees,