Advise please

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Zaknumber1

Advise please

Post by Zaknumber1 »

Hi I’m looking to move to Paphos full time and am looking for peoples honest views on what I’m planning to do
I’m 44 years old and I’m planning on living on around £20k a year was going to rent a 2 bed apartment this money will last until in 50where I will be getting a pension of around the same amount what my main question is would that amount of money be enough to rent and live a reasonable house I’m not planning on having a car any advise would be helpful thanks
ApusApus

Re: Advise please

Post by ApusApus »

In a nutshell, yes that would be sufficient to provide you with a reasonable home & lifestyle IMO!

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes that will be plenty. Obviously if you plan on getting ripped to the tits every night you will soon get through that, but for ordinary living that is more than enough.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
daveg

Post by daveg »

You will be able to have a very nice lifestyle on £20k a year...many manage on less...
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

£20K a year! Would you like to adopt me?
Zaknumber1

Post by Zaknumber1 »

Thanks for the replies
Basically that’s what I will have left over from my divorce and I’ve always wanted to live in Paphos but didn’t want to have to rely on working. I will of course try to make a few euros with bits and pieces to supplement my income. I do like going out in the evening but I would only have 3 or 4 pints maybe 3 or 4nights a week.
Am hoping to rent an 2 bed apartment in an area not too far from places so I can walk everywhere but again not to far out so I needed a car any ideas on areas ?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

The Kato Paphos area should suit your requirements!

Shane
Robert

Post by Robert »

Zaknumber1 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:30 pm Hi I’m looking to move to Paphos full time and am looking for peoples honest views on what I’m planning to do
I’m 44 years old and I’m planning on living on around £20k a year was going to rent a 2 bed apartment this money will last until in 50where I will be getting a pension of around the same amount what my main question is would that amount of money be enough to rent and live a reasonable house I’m not planning on having a car any advise would be helpful thanks
Isn't the access age for UK private pensions 55 these days?
Zaknumber1

Post by Zaknumber1 »

My pension is a railway pension and if you were employed before privatisation you had a protected pension which you can take at 50 years old the earlier you take it the less you get
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Another factor to take in to consideration is what I was told very recently that the supply of 2 bed appts in the Paphos and Peyia areas is much reduced now for various reasons and rents are rising. The advent of year round tourism is not helping this.

Dee
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Perhaps it might be worth you casting your 2 Bed rental search a little further out into surrounding locations around Paphos, but further back off the tourist track?

Like Mandria, Timi, Anarita, Geroskipou, Chlorakas, Emba, Lemba, Kissonerga- all of which have nice sea views, shops, bars and restaurants.

Consider factoring in a small cheap Japanese saloon car from Simon at Deals on Wheels, so you can get out and explore the beautiful Paphos region regularly!

AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

As you do not intend having a car, well worth making sure you find somewhere to live that is on a good bus route (or within easy walking distance). EG if you live on Route 615 which goes from Kato Paphos in the harbour area to Coral Bay. Also intercity buses run from Karavella Bus Station in Town. Link to bus services: http://www.cyprusbybus.com/setups.aspx
Zaknumber1

Post by Zaknumber1 »

Hi thank you all for your advice it’s all very helpful
I do like the idea of a cheap car and maybe be slightly further out
After speaking to a friend there is a chance that my employer might be open for me to have a career break of up to 12months
I think I might go for that then I can see how I get on with the idea that I can come back to my job if I needed to
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Now THAT sounds like an excellent plan, Zak! But just one thought- what happens to your UK residence whilst you away in Cyprus for 12 months? And would you be able to return to it, if after 12 months you decide life in Cyprus isn't for you?

Think long and hard before burning your bridges behind you, my friend!

I wish you the very best of luck for the future...

Cheers- AL :D
Gone but not forgotten...
Zaknumber1

Post by Zaknumber1 »

I’m currently going through a divorce and my son is living with me in my house so he would continue to live there and hopefully look after the house while I was in Cyprus
If the divorce was completed while i was in Cyprus I would return home to sell the house then return to Cyprus once sold with money to live on from the sale or if it doesn’t work out money to return back to the uk to live
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Yep I disagree, we sold up, moved here & have no intention of going back ................. but each to their own & their particular circumstances!

Shane
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:37 pm Yep I disagree, we sold up, moved here & have no intention of going back ................. but each to their own & their particular circumstances!
Shane

Agree: we left the UK in 1963, lock, stock and barrel.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:29 pm
ApusApus wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:37 pm Yep I disagree, we sold up, moved here & have no intention of going back ................. but each to their own & their particular circumstances!
Shane

Agree: we left the UK in 1963, lock, stock and barrel.
Lock, stock and barrel for us too, though we only moved over in 2016. Two years to the day in fact. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:42 pm You must have seen some changes in Cyprus since 1963!
I've seen even greater changes since my first visit here in 1952. You can see some of them in my 'snaps' at
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The problem also is that although the care for the elderly MAY be available in the UK, it would seem that the cost is tremendous... And god knows what happens if you have no funds..
Trev..