Car INsurance, a couple of questions

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
GreenArmy12

Car INsurance, a couple of questions

Post by GreenArmy12 »

Hi all, a couple of questions to the wise folks on here please:

My partner and I, both resident in Cyprus with our yellow forms have a car in the UK that we are intending to ship across to Cyprus next month. We have UK insurance with green card cover for EU countries. I know that we can use the car here for a period on UK plates, before formerly completeing the import and paying excise duty etc, is our UK insurance valid to drive the car here during that period?

Now a different car that we have in Cyprus with insurance through Abbeygate, If we go over to the occupied area we buy car insurance at the crossing point, am I correct in thinking that this would cover 3rd party damage only, ie that to a TC owned car, and I would be liable to cover my own vehicles damage? and would my comprehensive insurance here in the south cover damage to my vehicle while driving in the occupied area.

Thanks in Anticipation

Al
WHL

Re: Car INsurance, a couple of questions

Post by WHL »

GreenArmy12 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 am Hi all, a couple of questions to the wise folks on here please:

My partner and I, both resident in Cyprus with our yellow forms have a car in the UK that we are intending to ship across to Cyprus next month. We have UK insurance with green card cover for EU countries. I know that we can use the car here for a period on UK plates, before formerly completeing the import and paying excise duty etc, is our UK insurance valid to drive the car here during that period?

Now a different car that we have in Cyprus with insurance through Abbeygate, If we go over to the occupied area we buy car insurance at the crossing point, am I correct in thinking that this would cover 3rd party damage only, ie that to a TC owned car, and I would be liable to cover my own vehicles damage? and would my comprehensive insurance here in the south cover damage to my vehicle while driving in the occupied area.

Thanks in Anticipation

Al
Re Insurance for the north, you must take out third party insurance at crossing, I doubt very much that your fully comp insurance would cover your car while driving over there.
As for your UK insurance I think that would not work now in Cyprus as you are now residents in Cyprus.
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

I'm sure last time I renewed my insurance with abbeygate they told me I was not covered for driving in the north
garry
darrow

Post by darrow »

I think you should ask your UK insurance company if you can cover until you are registered over here. Ours gave us a month but you would need to ask so they can memo it, if they allow it. You can get insurance based on your chassis no before you are registered anyway, over here. I believe you cannot cross to the north without paying insurance at the border and it is 3rd party only. Again if you are insured here with the car you pkan to use, ask them!
josef k

Post by josef k »

When you bring a car into Cyprus I think it unlikely that a UK insurance company would cover you, and unlikely the Cypriot authorities would recognise it anyway. Before you register a car in your name I understand you have to take out insurance with a Cypriot company beforehand, similar to when there is change of ownership. The usual thing is to get Cyprus insurance as soon as the car arrives here, using the chassis number instead of the registration number, whilst on a UK plate.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Where driving in the north is concerned, most Cypriot companies will not cover you there. Probably the best that you’ll get is third party cover. Yet you still need to take out the Turkish 3rd party insurance cover at the border crossing.
There is one company here that will cover you to drive in the north comprehensively and that is AIG which is also sold by Top Quotes the same company who do Abbeygate. Their insurance policy (which I have), interestingly also covers driving beyond the road. Ie Off road driving which can be useful if you enjoy doing this. However should you have an accident in the north, you would be responsible for arranging a breakdown vehicle from the north to take your car to the border crossing. Once there, AIG will arrange to collect it and take it back to a garage in Paphos for repairs. I have no experience regarding the latter, but otherwise they are a helpful company to deal with. However, their premiums aren’t the cheapest option.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

As far as I know only residents of the north can get fully comp insurance over there.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well, have you tried AIG? The only exception is that in the event of an accident in The north, you are responsible for getting your vehicle back to the border. Ie if the car is undriveable presumably to hire a breakdown lorry through one of the garages. But AIG will sort out the rest,collecting it in Nicosia plus repairing the vehicle. You would need to ask them.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:14 pm Well, have you tried AIG? The only exception is that in the event of an accident in The north, you are responsible for getting your vehicle back to the border. Ie if the car is undriveable presumably to hire a breakdown lorry through one of the garages. But AIG will sort out the rest,collecting it in Nicosia plus repairing the vehicle. You would need to ask them.

Dee
Seems very odd that you can be insured for a non recognized state, where you might need to go to court etc in an event of an accident, not adding up