Wood burner v Pellet burner heaters

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Wood burner v Pellet burner heaters

Post by kansas » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Can anyone advise me the comparative benefits of wood burner and pellet burner heaters. I'd like to collect as much information from users before committing to purchase either one.

Many thanks

humpinghummer

Re: Wood burner v Pellet burner heaters

Post by humpinghummer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:59 pm

One benefit for me with a log burner is you can find lots of free wood - branches lying around on walks and such. I don't find many wood pellets 😁

William Morris

Post by William Morris » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:14 pm

I thought it said "pelmets".

Woops.

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Pellet stove every time.

Set the temperature and flame, switch on with remote control. When finished, will self clean.

Very little ash, though glass does build up soot, which is easy to clean every other day.

Other advantage is narrow gauge outlet pipe, which goes through the wall, but does no need to vent to the height of the house.

cyprusmax47

Post by cyprusmax47 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 pm

kansas wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 pm
Can anyone advise me the comparative benefits of wood burner and pellet burner heaters. I'd like to collect as much information from users before committing to purchase either one.

Many thanks
If you find quality pellets than a pellet oven will be low on emissions. Burning fire wood will have higher emissions in PM ( particulate matter) and benzene, specially when the wood is wet or certain wood with a lot of resin. (Pevkos)
The other advantages were already mentioned in Mark's post.

Max

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:49 pm

Good points Max.

Plus with a pellet stove, I determine the heat, with wood, it can get to hot.

Am sitting in my lounge with the temperature at 21 degrees, if it gets warmer, I reduce the flame height......simple and effective, if it cools, with a press of a button, I increase the flame height.

Paul & Lesley

Post by Paul & Lesley » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 am

Best thing we did was a log burner.
Remember that pellet burners need electric to run so what happens when there is a power cut!
Paul

Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:04 am

Paul & Lesley wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 am
Best thing we did was a log burner.
Remember that pellet burners need electric to run so what happens when there is a power cut!
Paul
Efficient log burners need electricity as well, for the fan that blows the heat into the room. These are the models that Thermodynamics et al are selling. We love ours.

A.

rambo

Post by rambo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:17 am

"Efficient log burners need electricity as well, for the fan that blows the heat into the room. These are the models that Thermodynamics et al are selling. We love ours."

Not necessarily true we have a fan mounted on top of the stove which works from the heat of the stove.

Paul.

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Our Daughter also has a fan on the top of the stove which is circulated by the rising heat .
Trev..

Aargent

Post by Aargent » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:03 pm

trevnhil wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 pm
Our Daughter also has a fan on the top of the stove which is circulated by the rising heat .
I think it is cleverer than that Trev

The amazing thing about oven fans is there powdered by electric, but they produce there own electricity using a method known as 'thermoelectric power'. It does this by using the heat from the fire and the cooler air from above to produce it’s own electric which powers a small motor that turns the fan, The hotter the stove, the faster the fan turns.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum

Goldano

Post by Goldano » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:54 pm

This is my 2nd winter with a pellet stove. Can't fault it. Easy to use, cheap to run. Recommend buying from The Pellet House, their service is excellent. Deb

Robert

Post by Robert » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 pm

How many 15kg bags of pellets do you all use over the winter? How many m^2 is that heating?
I also see Home and Garden sell 64 bags for EUR375. Does anybody buy elsewhere for less?

Termites Dream

Post by Termites Dream » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Kansas....We have a log burner and very pleased. We did look into a pellet burner for upstairs but had trouble locating a convenient spot. I did find that it was much cheaper to import a pellet burner and HIC knew an installer. No experience therefore to offer for the pellet burner but there is something about the roaring fire from our log burner which we do enjoy, as said we often find free fuel and we have put a casserole on the flat top and got dinner as well. No electric required but plenty of ash......a little on the plants helps though.

mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Aren't these things harmful for the envirnment?

Anarita John

Post by Anarita John » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Mike, I am glad you have brought that up. When riding back along the prom at Colwyn Bay and Rhos the other day I could smell the wood smoke from log burners and it hurt my eyes. In Cyprus, even though no homes on our development have log burners, you can can smell the smoke in the air.
I am sure, with the number of log burners there are, they are a health hazard, just like coal fires once were.
Here in Penrhyn Bay, just one of our neighbours has a log burner and we can smell the smoke outside, and occasionally inside our home.

kansas

Post by kansas » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:30 am

Do pellet burners have the same problem, re. health hazard, environmental issues?

nholleran

Post by nholleran » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 am

Anarita John.
We have a log burner dual which we can burn wood and coal. if you get a strong smell its most likely the coal especially when first lighting .

Termites Dream

Post by Termites Dream » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 am

Are environmental concerns that big an issue in the grand scheme of things? We only use our fire for two months or so. We drive a car all year, switch on electric lights all year, whenever you burn anything you create pollution.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:55 am

My thoughts too. If you use supposedly clean electric heating, it's worth remembering that AIK burns the dirtiest type of diesel oil in order to generate electricity. If you use oil or gas heating, these too create pollutants. We will use the form of heating which suits our needs best.