Latest Leaders Meeting a Flop

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Latest Leaders Meeting a Flop

Post by Dominic »

Jersey wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:47 pm
Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm The difference between "Chink" and "Yank" is that Americans don't find the latter offensive whereas Chinese people do find the former offensive. Like the "N" word, it's use says more about the person using it than anything else.
I bet you Chris Rock uses the N word 100 times in his stand up ...so why the problem ??
Black Americans use the N word about themselves all the time. When a white American uses it against a black American it is incredibly offensive.

Is that logically fair?

No, but neither was slavery. I think given the latter, we can forgive the former.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Well once again Geoff has achieved what he set out to do - Many of you from CL will recall how he enjoyed " Throwing in a Grenade" and would have everyone fighting among themselves while he sits back and enjoys - Times have changed and what used to be a figure of speech in the 70's is now classed as offensive and rightly so in a lot of cases - But Geoff knew what he was doing when he failed to use the word Chinese - I thought he had been quiet for a while - He must be bored.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I prefer to be curteous to all nationalities which costs nothing and avoids offending anyone needlessly.

Dee
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:58 pm
Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm The difference between "Chink" and "Yank" is that Americans don't find the latter offensive whereas Chinese people do find the former offensive. Like the "N" word, it's use says more about the person using it than anything else.
I bet you Chris Rock uses the N word 100 times in his stand up ...so why the problem ??
Black Americans use the N word about themselves all the time. When a white American uses it against a black American it is incredibly offensive.

Is that logically fair?

No, but neither was slavery. I think given the latter, we can forgive the former.
Except one was hundreds of years ago... :roll:

My problem is that there is an ever increasing list of things that we may not offend - I don't believe that anybody has the right not to be offended because of that free speech thing...

You may not like it, you may be disgusted by it but we should be able to speak freely and debate/argue/ridicule those who we disagree with... But please don't take offence on behalf of others because you looked it up on Wiki...

If we keep on the way we are we really won't be able to express an opinion at all for fear of offending someone/something or of someone taking offence on their/its behalf...
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Yep, agree with Dev, Trev and several other people who I have the greatest respect for. They have earned it.

When I worked in George's Garden Centre just outside Anarita - Roulla used to talk about people with 'kind faces.' Such a simple thing to say but she was SO right. People with kind faces usually have kind hearts. I can be as straight as a die, when required, but would hate to think I would be cutting or cruel just for the sake of it.

Maggie B

PS Cyprus Grump. Don't think 'our Dev' would ever feel the need to look anything up on Wikpedia. Unlike me, he's just too smart. :-)
Last edited by Maggie B on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

cyprusgrump wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:43 pm
But please don't take offence on behalf of others because you looked it up on Wiki...
This is incredibly patronising. I looked it up on Wikipedia because I like doing at least a modicum of fact checking before making a statement like "Chinese people find it offensive".
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Oops sorry Dominic. Please don't take offence at my last PS.:-) I use Wikipedia - like most other people. My point was; Devil is a very intelligent person. Oh jeepers, I'm digging a flipping hole here!!!

Let's get this clear. . . . . . . I think you are intelligent too. Do you know why???

You have got the POWER to ban any member from any topic at any time AND, whenever you feel like it. I think that is clever and hilarious. And, I now feel the need to post a big face. Sorry.

🙊
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:51 pm
cypruschump wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:43 pm
But please don't take offence on behalf of others because you looked it up on Wiki...
This is incredibly patronising. I looked it up on Wikipedia because I like doing at least a modicum of fact checking before making a statement like "Chinese people find it offensive".
I think they may be joined at the hip ............ luckily I've had mine replaced! ;)

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Maggie B wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:00 pm Oops sorry Dominic. Please don't take offence at my last PS.:-) I use Wikipedia - like most other people. My point was; Devil is a very intelligent person. Oh jeepers, I'm digging a flipping hole here!!!

Let's get this clear. . . . . . . I think you are intelligent too. Do you know why???

You have got the POWER to ban any member from any topic at any time AND, whenever you feel like it. I think that is clever and hilarious. And, I now feel the need to post a big face. Sorry.

🙊
I am insulted and amused in equal measure. :lol:
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

Is that logically fair?

So as I am not American ,,by your words I can use the N word then ??
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

Wasn't Chriee Blairs father in one of the 70s sitcoms which ridiculed darkies ??/
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

So what if he uses it - which by the way he's cut down on as he says he realised it was
giving an excuse to racists to use it. Plenty of other black comedians don't use it and there
is an explicit and historical difference in the way it is perceived. I mean it's not like it originated
as a term of endearment is it so not really sure what the desire is to use it.
Jersey wrote: Wasn't Chriee Blairs father in one of the 70s sitcoms which ridiculed darkies ??/
Is that your favourite word of the month or something? Not sure what the question has to do with
anything but things have moved on since the 70's.

Cheers

Steve
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

71 Trans Am wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:16 pm Well once again Geoff has achieved what he set out to do - Many of you from CL will recall how he enjoyed " Throwing in a Grenade" and would have everyone fighting among themselves while he sits back and enjoys - Times have changed and what used to be a figure of speech in the 70's is now classed as offensive and rightly so in a lot of cases - But Geoff knew what he was doing when he failed to use the word Chinese - I thought he had been quiet for a while - He must be bored.
Have you lived and worked in China? I have. They do not take offence at us using the word Chinks anymore than we did
being called Gweilos by them.
What does that mean? Look it up on Google.
BTW I am not bored, and neither have I been quiet for a while.
Read my previous posts in here and on the other Paphos forum and you will see.
Anyway, why are you having a go at me again?
Did I upset you someway? If so I apologise.
Geoff.
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

Just to clarify a few things,
I work with ex convicts ( Australians ) & Yanks ( Americans ) who in turn call me a Limey ( British).
None of the above people find these slang words offensive.
How many of us have said " do you fancy a Chinky tonight", most of us. By the way I think Geoff was just winding us up & baiting for the previous posts.
If any of these words are used in malice then yes, I suppose it is offensive & meant to be, but in the ever increasing PC world we live in I personally have lost the will to live with these sort of discussions !!
Cheers,
Mark.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Must be a generational thing or something. We would always say "Fancy a Chinese?" And our daughter wouldn't even know what we meant if we said "Chinky".
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jersey wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:15 am

Is that logically fair?

So as I am not American ,,by your words I can use the N word then ??
I was using American because Chris Rock is American. Britain had its own slave trade.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:51 pm
cypruschump wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:43 pm
Oh well, if 'some' Chinese people consider it offensive (according to Wiki anyway) you'd better add it to the swear filter - just in case we get a load of Chinese signing up anytime soon... ;)

While you are there, you could add the word 'women' - I gather it is now (according to the BMA) offensive to use the term 'Pregnant women' because it might offend transgender um... people.... :lol:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

And while we are on the subject and closer to home, some find 'Cyp' mildly offensive, too. This is probably because it is mostly used by the less 'with it' sector of the British community here.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Maggie B wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:00 pm Let's get this clear. . . . . . . I think you are intelligent too. Do you know why???

🙊
That makes Mr. Trump the most intelligent man in the world then...? :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't think many people outside of a few people in the BMA thought that that was a good idea. The only saving grace was that it wasn't actually aimed at patient-facing doctors.

To be honest though, I am more concerned when Doctors are advised not to use terms like "obese" when telling patients what is wrong with them. That is not only daft, but dangerous.

With regards to the swear filter though, there isn't one, as you yourself have demonstrated when you sallied forth with the F word a few days ago. I told you to grow up, but the word still remained.