Engineers

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Engineers

Post by Devil »

Can I make an appeal for the correct use of the word 'engineer'?

In English usage, an engineer is a professional in a number of sectors. In my case, I'm an electronics engineer, but you also have civil engineers, mechanical engineers and so on. They all have studied at a university for 3-5 years to obtain the qualification and have a degree (usually BSc or, more advanced, PhD).

The correct word for the guy who repairs your TV or maintains your central heating etc. is a technician.

In US usage, the term 'engineer' is also applied to a person who drives a locomotive.

I make no apology but, when I see my professional qualification used loosely, I wonder why my five years of study and exams lose their apparent value. The SOED says 'A person who works in any branch of engineering, esp. as a qualified professional. M19.
chemical engineer: see CHEMICAL adjective. electrical engineer: see ELECTRICAL adjective. mechanical engineer: see MECHANICAL adjective. SANITARY engineer. STRUCTURAL engineer.' (my emphasis)
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Engineers

Post by Dominic »

Engineering is the application of mathematics, science, economics, and social and practical knowledge to invent, innovate, design, build, maintain, research, and improve structures, machines, tools, systems, components, materials, processes, solutions, and organizations.

So a chap who repairs your TV is maintaining a machine, and therefore an engineer.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Miyagi

Post by Miyagi »

I'm in the same boat as Devil as I'm a Structural Engineer. But the word 'Engineer' in the English speaking world is very loosely used. Visual Enhancement Engineer is a window cleaner.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The day somebody makes a genuine post on here asking for a visual enhancement engineer I shall eat my proverbial hat.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Miyagi wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:41 am I'm in the same boat as Devil as I'm a Structural Engineer. But the word 'Engineer' in the English speaking world is very loosely used. Visual Enhancement Engineer is a window cleaner.
There's a Paphos-based window cleaning company (TrueView) who state on their vans that they are Vision Technicians. So they clearly agree with Devil. ;)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

"Vision Technicians" sounds more like an opticians.
Band

Post by Band »

Engineer is now a largely generic term, a bit like cashpoint (copyright Lloyds Bank) and hoover (trade name, used instead of vacuum cleaner), so I guess you are stuck with it. I am sure that it isn't used in a derogatory way, so I cannot see any need to take offence at it though.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Band wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:59 pm Engineer is now a largely generic term, a bit like cashpoint (copyright Lloyds Bank) and hoover (trade name, used instead of vacuum cleaner), so I guess you are stuck with it. I am sure that it isn't used in a derogatory way, so I cannot see any need to take offence at it though.
It is obviously degrading to some of those who consider themselves "true" engineers!

Shane
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Would you call a nurse, 'Doctor'? They are two separate professions as are 'technicians' and 'engineers'.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:16 am Engineering is the application of mathematics, science, economics, and social and practical knowledge to invent, innovate, design, build, maintain, research, and improve structures, machines, tools, systems, components, materials, processes, solutions, and organizations.

So a chap who repairs your TV is maintaining a machine, and therefore an engineer.
Only if he has studied the subject for 3-5 years at university! If he designed the workings of your TV, then, yes, he could have been an engineer.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The girl who paints my wife's nails, calls herself a nail technician, so I suppose anyone can call themselves a technician.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

There's a company based at LTN named GKN Aerospace Transparency Systems (Luton) Ltd.

What this actually means is windows for aeoplanes! Maybe our domestic window cleaners should be referred to 'as' Transparency Recovery Operatives?

LOL! AL :lol:
Gone but not forgotten...
WHL

Post by WHL »

Top 20 jargon-filled job titles:
1. Beverage Dissemination Officer – Barman
2. Colour Distribution Technician – Painter & Decorator
3. Customer Experience Enhancement Consultant – Shop Assistant
4. Domestic Technician – Housewife
5. Education Centre Nourishment Consultant – Dinner Lady
6. Highway Environmental Hygienist – Road Sweeper
7. Field Nourishment Consultant – Waitress
8. Five a Day Collection Operative – Fruit Picker
9. Front Line Customer Support Facilitator – Call Centre Worker
10. Gastronomical Hygiene Technician – Dish Washer
11. Mass Production Engineer – Factory Worker
12. Media Distribution Officer – Paper Boy
13. Mobile Sustenance Facilitator – Burger Van Worker
14. Mortar Logistics Engineer – Labourer
15. Petroleum Transfer Engineer – Petrol Station Assistant
16. Recycling Operative – Bin Man
17. Sanitation Consultant – Toilet Cleaner
18. Coin Facilitation Engineer – Toll Booth Collector
19. Transparency Enhancement Facilitator – Window Cleaner
20. Vehicle Restoration Engineer – Panel Beater

no. 5and 10 are my favorites :lol:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 pm The girl who paints my wife's nails, calls herself a nail technician, so I suppose anyone can call themselves a technician.
Not really. I consider a technician to have some formal qualifications such as a HNC or equivalent or, at least some form of technical training, such as an apprenticeship. He would need some hands-on experience, as well. IOW, he would need to know what he was doing with regards to H&S, as well.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:04 pm
WHL wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 pm The girl who paints my wife's nails, calls herself a nail technician, so I suppose anyone can call themselves a technician.
Not really. I consider a technician to have some formal qualifications such as a HNC or equivalent or, at least some form of technical training, such as an apprenticeship. He would need some hands-on experience, as well. IOW, he would need to know what he was doing with regards to H&S, as well.
Devil, I said it tongue in cheek, im agreeing with you.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:54 pm
Dominic wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:16 am Engineering is the application of mathematics, science, economics, and social and practical knowledge to invent, innovate, design, build, maintain, research, and improve structures, machines, tools, systems, components, materials, processes, solutions, and organizations.

Only if he has studied the subject for 3-5 years at university! If he designed the workings of your TV, then, yes, he could have been an engineer.
In your opinion maybe. But not in the opinion of the dictionary.

What does it matter though? It isn't as if a structural engineer with a degree is going to get undercut by an unqualified structural engineer, who ends up building a wonky bridge, is it?
boycott

Post by boycott »

Devil perhaps you join the 21st century and realise that the world has moved on since you got your qualification.

Why do you say that a technician is a HE (3 times), cannot a technician be a SHE?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cut the Devil some slack, his old school, where things were clearer defined...yes the World has moved on, not all for the good thou?
J B

Post by J B »

I didn't know that engines had ears ;)

============================================

I work at the cattle market on Wednesdays 'booking in' the calves

My Job title is:-

Assistant
Reception
Service
Executive

:lol:
J B
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

boycott wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm Devil perhaps you join the 21st century and realise that the world has moved on since you got your qualification.

Why do you say that a technician is a HE (3 times), cannot a technician be a SHE?
Yes, a technician can be a she and so can an engineer (I worked with one in 1954, believe it or not, and I shamefacedly admit that she was ragged by all the men in our lab)

He, SOED, my italics:
1. The male person or animal, or the person or animal of unknown or unspecified sex, previously mentioned or implied or easily identified. OE.