Permission for surgery by CY ministry of health

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
florentyna

Permission for surgery by CY ministry of health

Post by florentyna »

Does anyone have experience of how long it takes for the ministry of health to grant permission for surgery which is not available in the general hospitals. Hubby diagnosed with prostate cancer, after many (delayed) scans tests it is confined to the prostate and the oncologist at the BOCOC advised removal via robotic method - not available at the general hospitals. So 3 weeks ago the permission was requested, but no one seems to know how long this will take. Spoken to CPSG who were really helpful, but I would be grateful for anyone with firsthand experience to let me know. At the moment we seem to be just sitting and waiting and of course worrying. My husband has S1 medical card. We were also never advised that we might have to pay something towards the costs, but I have heard that this might be a possibility.

Thanks
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Permission for surgery by CY ministry of health

Post by Dominic »

I have moved this thread to the General area at florentyna's request.

Can anybody help?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
emgee

Post by emgee »

What where is BOCOC?

Alan
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Bank of Cyprus Oncology Centre in Nicosia!
florentyna

Post by florentyna »

Sorry, the oncology unit in Nicosia is jointly run / with Bank Of Cyprus funding, but it's where you are sent for cancer treatment if you are in the general hospital system. Thanks Poppy
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Dear florentyna and husband. Just replied to beachcaster (Alan) in a parallel thread, where he is here in UK, diagnosed with a prostate cancer tumour, and eagerly awaiting relocating to Cyprus.

Do you and hubby have EHIC cards and a UK family address that could be used, in order for hubby to come back to UK for the op on NHS? I'm not condoning health tourism, but I bet you've both paid NI contributions all of your lives in UK, so have earned it?

Cheers- AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:20 pm Dear florentyna and husband. Just replied to beachcaster (Alan) in a parallel thread, where he is here in UK, diagnosed with a prostate cancer tumour, and eagerly awaiting relocating to Cyprus.
Al, I think if you check back beachcaster in in Cyprus and said " Sorry Al but I have a rectal tumour not prostate."
Trev..
daveg

Post by daveg »

Worse thing you can do is wait , Cancer never stops growing...
Maybe get a quote from a private hospital here, I had non robotic prostate removal last year....
Without your health you have nothing.....
florentyna

Post by florentyna »

Hi,

To clarify a bit further. After 6 years of trying to sell our house in order to move back to the uk the diagnosis for my husband occurred at the same time. Having started the process here, we thought we would be better staying in the system here, so we rented an apartment. That was 4 months ago. We thought if we went back to the uk, it might take some time to go through the process again........now with the uncertainty, we wonder if we should have just gone. I just thought someone might have an idea of how long the ministry of health might take, but I think we will just start chasing the doc, the MOH and whoever else we can. We do have a uk address that we have used since we have been here.

Uncertainty is the problem.
Thanks for replies
Florentyna
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Hi Florentyna just to let you know that once you do return to the UK you are immediately accepted back into the system however I have no idea what the waiting time might be for the procedure your husband requires and seems to be that a lot depends on the area you live in. Whatever you decide I wish him well and there is life after cancer!!
florentyna

Post by florentyna »

Thank you Poppy, we did find out that we were entitled to go straight back into the system, but we're so unsure of the waiting times, we thought it best to stay here. Trying to be proactive today by .....trying.......to call MOH, doctor, etc, thanks again
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I know it involves expense, which is not good if you have no funds, but have you tried the Private system here in Cyprus.
At least you can see the consultant /Surgeon, usually the same day. At least you could ask advise and possible costs.
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

florentyna wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:26 am Thank you Poppy, we did find out that we were entitled to go straight back into the system, but we're so unsure of the waiting times, we thought it best to stay here. Trying to be proactive today by .....trying.......to call MOH, doctor, etc, thanks again
PM sent to you.
All things are possible
beachcaster

Post by beachcaster »

floretyna
Just how good does it feel to find so many helpful and caring people around you.
Best wishes ........Alan
florentyna

Post by florentyna »

Just how good does it feel to find so many helpful and caring people around you.
Best wishes ........Alan
I'm always very grateful when I'm stumped with issues.........just an update.....incase anyone else finds themselves in this position.

I rang the ministry of health, 2nd phone call I found the right department. They took I.d number and told me they were waiting for the doctor to send over scans, biopsy results etc. It didn't sound like they had asked the doc for them... (!)...so we emailed the doc and asked him to forward everything to the MOH. Today rang the MOH - they say they have everything - it will now take 1 to 2 weeks to decide if he can have the op. If he can, they will call him and give him the options where to go.........if he can't ( anyone know why he may not be allowed the op?) then they will WRITE to him (really...cancer)

So it seems there is no guarantee - in the meantime the MOH said one of the hospitals on the list is the Meditteranean in Limassol, so we have spoken to the doctor there who has told us to go Friday and they will try to speed things up, but at least they can see hubby and be ready if we get the go ahead.

We shall see.....!
Thanks to those who replied, no one had direct experience, but any little helps
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

A lot of positive news there. Good Luck.
Trev..