Mo Farah

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
ApusApus

Mo Farah

Post by ApusApus »

Ok probably the kiss of death but if Mo wins the 5,000 mts tonight will he become the greatest British athlete of all time? I think so on both accounts ............ oh and he hasn't finished, turning to road racing next I understand!

Shane
Royal

Re: Mo Farah

Post by Royal »

I reckon that title belongs to Daley Thompson...
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Let's see what other people think before I comment on DT!

Shane
Cactuslil

Post by Cactuslil »

Great race but he didn't quite make it. Shame he couldn't have got that last gold medal.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think Daley Thompson would win in a fight.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Sad goodbye to the track for this great athlete. Sad to see the tactics of the Ethiopian team blocking him until their favoured runner could get the edge on Mo, dirty play in my book, but it won't take away the greatness of this superb athlete. Look forward to seeing him in future marathons. May your God go with you Mo.
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

Dominic wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:56 pm I think Daley Thompson would win in a fight.
Not against Fatima Whitbread. :lol:
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
emgee

Post by emgee »

Daley Thompson for me.

Alan
emgee

Post by emgee »

Farah must have heard his door bell yesterday.

Alan
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Your usual wonderful comment
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

The Aquila wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:37 pm Mo Farah, born in Somalia, lives in America and trains in Canada......what a great "British" Athlete
But does Mo have a British passport? That, surely, is the deciding factor on which nationality, residence, domicile a well paid sportsman chooses to accept, with his (or her) well-paid financial and tax advisers?

Consider how Nigel Mansell was bad-mouthed for choosing to live in the Isle of Man. And Jenson Button (and Eddie Jordan, Nico Rosberg and co) for having the audacity to declare their tax domicile as Monaco, when they were around the world all year?

Then people started attacking Lewis Hamiliton, for declaring his domicile as sleepy old boring Switzerland? Come on, folks! Does nobody remember ABBA? At one time, they were earning more for the Swedish Gov than Volvo trucks and cars combined, AND Saab cars 'n fighter jets included!

Their reward from the Swedish (Labour) Government at that time? 100% Tax! Eye-watering, but true! No wonder they called it a day! Such is Gov, (greedy non-productive parasites...)

I often wonder what would happen if all the girls leaving school became tax collectors, whilst all the boys became tax inspectors? Within a generation or two, the country will have collapsed and gone bankrupt, with these two sets of muppets sending threatening brown envelopes to each other!

AL :cry:
Gone but not forgotten...
WHL

Post by WHL »

His trainer at this moment, is subject to Drugs charges, Il wait to the truth comes out, before I call him the best British athlete of all time.
Royal

Post by Royal »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:40 pm ...will he become the greatest British athlete of all time? I think so on both accounts ............ oh and he hasn't finished, turning to road racing next I understand!
Without being too pedantic, maybe your question should read 'greatest British track athlete' in which case I would wholeheartedly agree. However, Daley Thompson must surely be considered the best all round British athlete of all time...
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

Zola Budd was South African but they quickly gave her a British passport so the she could run in the Olympics for the UK, also look how many Africans were running under Arab state colours.
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

Royal wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:03 am
ApusApus wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:40 pm ...will he become the greatest British athlete of all time? I think so on both accounts ............ oh and he hasn't finished, turning to road racing next I understand!
Without being too pedantic, maybe your question should read 'greatest British track athlete' in which case I would wholeheartedly agree. However, Daley Thompson must surely be considered the best all round British athlete of all time...
What about Jessica Ennis she proved herself several times as well as becoming a mother.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Loxely Man wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:37 pm What about Jessica Ennis she proved herself several times as well as becoming a mother.
I suppose that she is deservedly there amongst the greatest ever.

However, I also suppose that, like anything, it depends on how you interpret the original question. Sally Gunnel for example for the 400 metres won Commonwealth Gold in 1990, Olympic Gold in 1992, World Championship Gold in 1993. Then in 1994, she went on to win World Cup Gold, European Championship Gold and Commonwealth Games Gold. A stunning achievement!
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I dare say Sally did it with either no or very little funding.
And of course she gave her name to a particular golf shot.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Explain, pleeeeeze?

Thanks- AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

The Aquila wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:37 pm Mo Farah, born in Somalia, lives in America and trains in Canada......what a great "British" Athlete
Mo Farah was indeed born in Somalia but his father was British having been born in London. Mo came to the UK when he was 8 years old and lived in Hounslow (then Middlesex) now London. He went to train in Canada in 2011 having previously done training in Kenya. He has a pretty good track record as a runner from his schooldays here in the UK where he sadly had a non too happy time (seems somethings dont change). He became a resident of Oregon in January 2014 - hardly a lifetime resident.

Paphos Al Yes he does hold a British passport and why not he is British. Furthermore he would not have received a knighthood had he not been a British Citizen - there are some people who have received an honoury knighthood but Mo is not one of those.

My own personal view is that he is the greatest track athlete and I completely agree that the others mentioned above are tremendous candidates in their respective fields. I had the privilege of seeing both Mo and Bolt perform the previous week and the reception both received from the crowd was stupendous.

I feel it a great pity that there is now still questions being raised in the press etc and sneers against Mo in particular. What is it about the British that makes them so critical of their own home grown talent and success in whatever field?. For Gods sake leave the man alone.

Rita