Finsbury Park: Several people hurt after vehicle hits pedestrians

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Finsbury Park: Several people hurt after vehicle hits pedestrians

Post by Dominic »

But since when has Diane Abbott been the voice of the establishment? She is a laughing stock.

And there was coverage for days over Manchester. Plus they had the extra gig etc.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

holitec wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:07 pm no, but it is still main headlines on the news today, but Manchester went quiet shortly after.
It happened in the early hours of Monday morning and as you would expect it would still be in the headlines on Tuesday.

Cheers

Steve
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think many people, if not racist, are certainly biased and live in some world portrayed in history books.

The very name, Great Britain, evokes empire, Rule Britannia and more. Nationalism has become fashionable, although some of it’s elements end up associated with seperatism and racism.

The days of the UK having an empire is gone. The Commonwealth is a joke. It’s like the name is a sad twist or play. We need to stop getting involved in politics in far off countries. We aren’t a world power and we cannot impose our version of democracy on others. The US picked up our mantle and carry on the interference in others’ politics.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:53 pm
Jimgward wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:38 pm I think many people, if not racist, are certainly biased and live in some world portrayed in history books.

The very name, Great Britain, evokes empire, Rule Britannia and more. Nationalism has become fashionable, although some of it’s elements end up associated with seperatism and racism.

The days of the UK having an empire is gone. The Commonwealth is a joke. It’s like the name is a sad twist or play. We need to stop getting involved in politics in far off countries. We aren’t a world power and we cannot impose our version of democracy on others. The US picked up our mantle and carry on the interference in others’ politics.
Thankfully not a lot of people think like you....you seem to have a very low opinion of the United Kingdom, it's History and traditions. Being proud of your heritage and the achievements of that is not remotely racist or biased, the UK is a forward thinking country, a world leader in many areas and has a moral responsibility to play its part in world affairs...it has been a force of good in the world and continues to be so...our foreign aid budget, derided by many is an example to many other countries in the world. I actually feel sorry for you, people like you are not part of a solution, you are part of the problem...
And I think people like you are part of the Problem, Breaking News..The Empire and the last days of the Raj are long gone..Just a little question, If you think the UK is the best thing ever, why are you not living in this Utopia?
WHL

Post by WHL »

We both love our country of birth,The difference between you and me is, I dont see the UK through Rose tinted glass's, I live in the real word and while I acknowledge the good/great that has come out of Britain I can also see the mistakes Britain has made and still makes,...my excuse for living here is I prefer the weather/lifestyle..but my kids still live in the UK and im over there at least a half a dozen times a year.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I also agree with Jimgward. The majority of Brits have a rose coloured view of Britain's past. I'm not saying there are many good things about Britain, but it's colonial past isn't one of them. We took our colonies by force, we held on to them by force, and many of them had to regain their independence by force (including Cyprus). As to Britain's heritage, I won't list loads of examples, just a random one. Bristol is a beautiful city with great historic architecture. Virtually all of it was paid for out of slave trade profits. Need I say more?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

holitec wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:07 pm no, but it is still main headlines on the news today, but Manchester went quiet shortly after.

Digby
Manchester was still in the news yesterday..... :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-40327219
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:32 pm It seems to me it is people,like you and Jim who refuse to believe that the UK moved away from its "Days of Empire" many ago but love to blame the ills of the world on its past contributions...The UK has strong traditions and a proud history, that some would like to see "photoshopped" out of the equation to suit their own narrow prejudiced views..I still,retain strong links to the UK, a country I love..the community spirit shown in the recent horrendous incidents serve only to strengthen that feeling. I own property there, my family all live there, I spent most of my military career serving abroad and enjoyed it....so we made a lifestyle choice and decided that Cyprus met our needs whilst we were still young enough to appriciate that lifestyle..in the future our choices may indeed change...what's your excuse?
I think some of our concern is that what we see sometimes, is nationalism that's verging on racism and imperialism. Brexit and recent activities, along with more immigration, has given some in particularly England, an excuse to blame all life's ills on these things. In fact, many who voted for brexit, were found to believe that immigration limitations would follow Farage's controversial poster image, of skin hues darker than European! Whereas most non-European immigration has always and is the remit of the UK government alone.

There's nothing wrong with core nationalism, however, in itself, it tends to attract extreme views and when this is stoked by parties like UKIP, then it can spill over into insidious roads.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Hudswell- please consider using paragraph breaks?

To make your posts much easier to read...

Like this one, LOL! Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

While slavery was indeed stopped by Britain and particularly individuals like David Livingstone, our country made fortunes for some, from the Caribbean and Southern states of the US tobacco, cotton, flax and other crops. We were generally the ones who actually bought the slaves and promoted the use of them for a long time.
WHL

Post by WHL »

My Daughter studied in Bristol, and every other road or building was named after some Slave trader or other, Black Boy Lane / Colston hall etc etc if I remember rightly.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

We should be proud of our past not seek every opportunity to knock what we achieved, If our forebears made a mistake then so be it.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:46 pmBetter?
Far far better for all of us to read, thanks! AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

bromerzz wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:07 pm We should be proud of our past not seek every opportunity to knock what we achieved, If our forebears made a mistake then so be it.
Completely disagree. Bristol is full of statues, commemorations and remembrances of the slave trade. That cant be a “so be it”. It is a disgraceful element of history and shames modern society that we don’t destroy these momentos.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:50 pm
bromerzz wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:07 pm We should be proud of our past not seek every opportunity to knock what we achieved, If our forebears made a mistake then so be it.
Completely disagree. Bristol is full of statues, commemorations and remembrances of the slave trade. That cant be a “so be it”. It is a disgraceful element of history and shames modern society that we don’t destroy these momentos.
Well said,,,Even Russia got rid of all the statues of Stalin/Lenin etc
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Bassman62 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 am
Jimgward wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:50 pm
I'm not making excuses but, the biggest slave traders were the Negroes in Africa who enslaved their own African people and sold them at the ports/docks to the European and American slave traders.
The western slave traders did not have to go hunting for the slaves they were already there waiting at the docks in the slave markets.
The fact other Africans assisted and worked in the slave trade made no excuse for the fact the British, largely, created the demand. Your description would not be seen to be anything other than racist in modern terms, but I dont necessarily think you meant it that way..... (benefit of doubt)

Most Lords, Dukes and other titled individuals in the UK, made and increased their fortunes on slave use. You are correct, that ordinary people didn’t benefit, in the same way that workers in the mines, shipyards, steelworks and other industries were exploited as much as some native peoples in other exploited Empire countries.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Bassman, as usual you're totally missing the point.

I'm from Hull, home of William Wilberforce who actually abolished the slave trade in the UK, so I know my way around slavery. Distasteful as it may be, it was a fellow from Hull who had the courage to scourge Britain from this atrocity.

Please substantiate your comments with accredited links, or withdraw them. As they stand, they are meaningless.

These comments are becoming far too regular, you cannot keep on simply posting accusations without the accompanying verification links. Without them it becomes unsubstantiated drivel.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Bassman62 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 am I'm not making excuses but, the biggest slave traders were the Negroes in Africa who enslaved their own African people and sold them at the ports/docks to the European and American slave traders.
The western slave traders did not have to go hunting for the slaves they were already there waiting at the docks in the slave markets.
Go look up some history and find who was responsible and who benefited from the millions of slaves stolen and sold on like cattle.

This was a thread about an attack on innocent people not a platform for you to spew your usual mix of nonsense and thinly veiled racism.

Cheers

Steve
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Bassman has left the building. Let us draw a line under that now.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 am Bassman has left the building. Let us draw a line under that now.
Has he been banned for his views? :shock: