Police meet to discuss criminalisation of false complaints

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Police meet to discuss criminalisation of false complaints

Post by Paphos Life »

Police on Thursday met with the minister of justice to discuss criminalisation of false, imaginary or non-existent complaints. According to an announcement by the Cyprus police association (Sak), a bill on the matter has already been sent for legal technical review to the legal services and upon its completion will

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: Police meet to discuss criminalisation of false complaints

Post by Kili01 »

All a little mysterious.Wonder if the police receive many of these complaints.Surely, if they receive such comments they should be careful to establish full details of the complainant first before actioning it?

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You see them on Facebook from time to time. A British tourist will post about how excited they are to be coming on their first holiday for 8 years etc etc. Then they will arrive and describe the holiday from hell. They will include a few pictures of questionable origin and spam as many boards as they can until somebody from the hotel gets in contact. Then all of a sudden all posts disappear. They are fairly easy to spot when you have seen a few.

This is one of the reasons I don't allow negative reviews on the groups I run. Too many people think it perfectly reasonable to make shit up in order to get money or just be plain nasty. Other reasons include not getting sued.

Unfortunately, holidaymaking Brits have got a bit of a reputation abroad for making shit up to get money. Not on my watch.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Think this may be misunderstood - the new bill under discussion is not related to false/fake complaints about businesses.

It relates to fake and/or malicious complaints made against police officers, which would become a criminal offence under the proposals.

Cheers

Steve
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Steve,
Thanks for pointing this out. So, these complaints not necessarily made by or relating to holiday makers.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Clearly not!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Wonder if the new laws could be used against the present mayor, as he has criticised the police on several occasions most recently about drugs. Could be a very dangerous law. Complaints need to be investigated independently.