New Paphos - Polis road finally approved

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

New Paphos - Polis road finally approved

Post by galexinda »

The Cyprus government has approved plans for the creation of the long-awaited Paphos-Polis dual road while approving works to improve the existing road.

According to the plans, the road will be a two lanes with a provision to expand into a carriageway way at a later stage.

The €60 million project (excluding expropriations), was presented to the House Communications Committee on Friday by Finance Minister Harris Georgiades and Communications Marios Demetriades.

According to the project timetable, tenders will be called for at the beginning of 2018 with the aim of the project to start towards the end of the same year.

http://nowmagazine.media/News/newsartic ... cordID=503
trevnhil

Re: New Paphos - Polis road finally approved

Post by trevnhil »

Good news for some, but others will see it differently no doubt.

Trev..
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

According to the plans, the road will be a two lanes with a provision to expand into a carriageway way at a later stage.
But isn't that what already exists.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Sad decision, but you never know in Cyprus if it will be changed again :roll:

For people which have a property near the planned route here a map link where one can see which place the tunnels will be as well....
(planned A7 will pass very close to my Crystal places and perhaps destroy them)
Max

http://www.openstreetmap.org/search?que ... 6&layers=H
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't get what they will do with the bit between the B7 intersection and Stroumpi. That will be one heck of a bridge / tunnel.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Improved access to Polemi Charity Shop....
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:59 am I don't get what they will do with the bit between the B7 intersection and Stroumpi. That will be one heck of a bridge / tunnel.
So the 60 mio Euro is perhaps only a guess and we will find out with the first tenders... :lol: :lol: First tunnel alone is 800 m long...
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

It's hard to see where there can be any economic justification for spending this much money on a replacement route. The biggest current problem is getting stuck behind a slow vehicle which can cause a tailback of up to a dozen cars all of whom will experience an increase in journey time of maybe 3 minutes. It's hardly a Hindhead! In any case the problem could be reduced by possibly 50% if the police would apprehend all the ancient twin-cabs that crawl up the hill belching black smoke who are unlikely to have a valid MOT.

Ultimately the go-ahead and the construction could be decades apart.

Pete
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:44 pm It will never happen....the road will be improved in places....I love some of the assumptions made in the plan, such as by 2009 the road will have reached its full capacity.....come on now, you can get a bit stuck behind a truck...or bus....but the road is hardly choca....even during "peak" hours, just a complete waste of money...
We don't agree on much, but I think you summed it up perfectly. We drive from Polemi to Paphos at least twice a day 5 or 6 times a week. Even when there is a cement mixer, it is only a few minutes delay before they pull in and let people pass. Most of the time the road is empty.
El tel

Post by El tel »

I would have thought that the priority would be the short stretch of road required to extend the new road to Paphos airport all the way to the airport , along the coast . I am guessing it could only be about 5 kilometres. It would not cost anything like the amount of money being spent on this project and the volume of traffic would more than justify it.

Terry
kansas

Post by kansas »

Terry,
The distance to complete the new airport access road is around one kilometer, crossing a riverbed and three fields takes you to the end of the runway.
I agree that completing this (and raising the stupid 50 speed limit to 65) would actually make a big difference to access for a busy airport.
El tel

Post by El tel »

Wow , did not appreciate it was as short as that , makes you wonder why they did not complete it in the first place. I am guessing there are good reasons why it was not done , perhaps the military barracks have something to do with it.

Terry
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

From the existing roundabout to the Taxi way of the military is 800 m and then? No space to continue that way if you have a look at Google map. North of the airport, where the Paphos Water Treatment plant is, could be a chance but there are hundreds of farmers with their properties to compensate...and if they don't agree it will take 10 years (Cyprus time :lol: ) until planning can go ahead..
Max
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

So if they can't complete the road what was the point of starting it?

If there is one thing I will criticise Cypriots for it is an inability to plan properly and an inability to project manage.

Pete
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:45 am
PeteandSylvi wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:29 am So if they can't complete the road what was the point of starting it?

If there is one thing I will criticise Cypriots for it is an inability to plan properly and an inability to project manage.

Pete
,,,, and then to properly maintain things afterwards.
Agreed.

I suppose before someone else points it out, I should apologise for my arithmetic!!

Pete
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:27 pm
Hudswell wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:44 pm It will never happen....the road will be improved in places....I love some of the assumptions made in the plan, such as by 2009 the road will have reached its full capacity.....come on now, you can get a bit stuck behind a truck...or bus....but the road is hardly choca....even during "peak" hours, just a complete waste of money...
We don't agree on much, but I think you summed it up perfectly. We drive from Polemi to Paphos at least twice a day 5 or 6 times a week. Even when there is a cement mixer, it is only a few minutes delay before they pull in and let people pass. Most of the time the road is empty.
Agreed. The drivers of the HGV's are normally very good at backing off, pulling over or using the extra height they have to let you know if it's safe to pass. Those who have lost family to accidents on the road that they did not cause will probably think it's work every penny, but its a huge amount of money that could well be used to save more lives elsewhere - an oncology centre in Papahos perhaps? Even the new road wouldn't guarantee no fatalities. Life is full of risks.

Ian
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Having travelled this B7 road from Paphos to Polis and back hundreds of times in many types of vehicles (and motorbikes) over the past couple of decades, I reckon they'd be better off simply upgrading the existing highway by making it a lot SAFER! Much cheaper than a new highway, too!

On blind bends, where idiots are overtaking with fingers crossed, have nearside escape refuges to pull into, rather than a head-on crash, when they're coming full at you!

More 'N0 OVERTAKING' signs on certain sections! Be patient, siga siga!

More pull-in laybys for slow HGVs, to allow following traffic past at vital points!

This could cost under €6m, rather than the budget they're talking about, 100x that or more!

Cheers- AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
kansas

Post by kansas »

Getting back to the Paphos airport road subthread, It would be simple to widen the existing road around the military Taxiway (and why need it be longer that than the runway anyway?). There is an existing road which could be widened or, by means of a comparatively cheap infill, extended beyond the existing beach.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I would have thought they would have been better off just extending it past the roundabout. It stops when it gets to what's left of the Ezousa Valley. I don't think there would be any protests from environmentalists if it was extended, because the countryside it would cross has a lot of rubbish in it, and wouldn't be missed.