Halloumi

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
aphrodite

Halloumi

Post by aphrodite »

My very own cheese!

My friend in Perth, Western Australia found this in her local grocery store. It's the first time she had seen it, hence the photo, but she didn't know the significance of aphrodite! :D

I ❤️ this cheese grilled with a nice cool glass or two of wine. 🥂
PhotoLady

Re: Halloumi

Post by PhotoLady »

LOL, great stuff :-)

I can only eat it grilled, I don't like it if it's uncooked.

I love the squeaky salty stuff!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

aphrodite wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:27 pm My very own cheese!

My friend in Perth, Western Australia found this in her local grocery store. It's the first time she had seen it, hence the photo, but she didn't know the significance of aphrodite! :D

I ❤️ this cheese grilled with a nice cool glass or two of wine. 🥂
Congratulation :lol: :lol: :lol: By the way: If the cheese contains only Goats and Sheep milk (but only then) you can prepare it perfectly in a frying pan
(teflon) Just cut the cheese into not too thin slices and then in the very hot pan (important: not fat) After one minute you turn the slices and allow another minute. Now it is up to you if you want more color to allow a further minute by reduced heat. (Don't overcook) You will find out that it tastes like from the BBQ! But again if the cheese contains cow milk it will melt and stick in the pan... :( Bon appetit.
http://top40-charts.com/songs/media.php ... 2017-05-27
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I was at a dinner party the other night, and the Cypriot hostess had some halloumi she had acquired from a farmer in the mountains. It was VERY aromatic, however, she prepared it like Max said, in the frying pan, and it was delicious.

Now I'm all hungry again...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:25 pm I was at a dinner party the other night, and the Cypriot hostess had some halloumi she had acquired from a farmer in the mountains. It was VERY aromatic, however, she prepared it like Max said, in the frying pan, and it was delicious.

Now I'm all hungry again...
There is a producer at Simou village (1/2 way from Paphos to Polis) with excellent quality halloumi in chunks filled with sage ( the old traditional way) in large plastic containers....Image
Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cypriot neighbor mum has a small holding and makes her own. brings us some really hard ones. just about cut it,but its great for frying ....a couple of eggs ..brilliant
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

I first had it back in the 1970s. BBQed. I had no idea that it was cheese. Just love it.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Aphrodite is hiding that she also produces Turkish delights at Yeroskipou..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Surely they would be Cyprus delights, ha ha..

Trev..
Trev..
josef k

Post by josef k »

Yes, the name was changed to Cyprus delights following the invasion in 1974.

As to halloumi, it is nice grilled with a carob juice dip.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:48 am Aphrodite is hiding that she also produces Turkish delights at Yeroskipou..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

🤣 And don't you just love the picture of me on the tin 😉
WHL

Post by WHL »

Disagree we have been holidaying here since the 60s, and always had Halloumi grilled or fried in restaurants.
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

Fry or grill a piece of Lountza and put it on top of the Halloumi. Delicious.

Pete
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

I think they are known as Cyprus Delights this side of the Island and when from Geryskpipou especially :D :D :D
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

bmwx5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:44 pm I think they are known as Cyprus Delights this side of the Island and when from Geryskpipou especially :D :D :D
If one talks about Turkish Delights it means sweets. And Yeroskipou is famous for it.... :!: Wiki helps you a bit....
"Geroskipou (Greek: Γεροσκήπου; Turkish: Yeroşibu) is a coastal town in Cyprus, east of Paphos. Its current population is approximately 7,000 and it is the second largest municipality in the Paphos District. Yeroskipou, with its remarkable five-domed Byzantine church of Agia Paraskevi, and its Folk Art Museum, is a popular tourist destination. It is known especially for the production of Turkish Delight or "lokum" (locally loukoumia or lukum).[2] The town is the only place in the world which has protected geographical indication (PGI) for the popular dessert."
Max
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

WHL wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:13 am Disagree we have been holidaying here since the 60s, and always had Halloumi grilled or fried in restaurants.
Fried or grilled in the restaurants but definitely fresh in the Cypriot homes. Especially as Flossie says with juicy lumps of karpouzi (water melon).

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
WHL

Post by WHL »

No sorry cant agree we as a family we were invited to many Cypriot homes, back in the sixties, as a snack always fresh halloumi with water melon.., when we were invited for a souvla bbq...there was always halloumi on the charcoal.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Love it on the BBQ, can't beat it, except fried with a few chilli flakes.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dont think it upped the price when it comes in a meze
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

Had grilled halloumi with honey drizzled over it in a taverna, adds a different flavour and was delicious.

Allan.