Lockdown

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PhotoLady

Re: Lockdown

Post by PhotoLady »

There was an interesting article which was incorporated into another on the BBC News website yesterday about vaccination progress throughout the world.

Scroll down past the interactive map and change the drop-down menu from Worldwide to Europe to see how various countries stack up against somewhere such as Austria which is currently struggling:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56237778

Malta, Gibraltar and Portugal have high numbers of vaccinated population and yet Malta are also reporting increased cases.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Sorry,but this is a " down at the pub conversation ".The subject of vaccination came up as usual as it does anywhere these days.I asked this couple why they had not been vaccinated they said why should we.They said you can still catch covid and you can still spread the the virus.I said,well ,it makes it easier for you to travel.They said were not going anywhere.Please what should my reply have been????? As i will no doubt see them again,,,,down the pub :?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My answer would have to be that if they do catch it they will have much milder symptoms and be less likely to have to go into hospital
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Also, it saves them money by not having to pay for tests all the time.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 am Indeed. Thank goodness the half-baked theories doing the rounds on social media weren't around when our parents sensibly got us vaccinated against measles, mumps, rubella, diptheria, tetanus and hooping cough, to say nothing of polio. Most of us know very little about these cildhood diseases because they have been largely erradicated by vaccine.

https://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4019.pdf
Exactly, some of these vaccinations were compulsory in Germany and there was no big fuss about it.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A lot of the anti-Vax against measles mumps and rubella stemmed from when they were combined into a single shot, I believe. I could be wrong though.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

This sounds like one of the 'conspiracy' theories, used by some anti vaxxers to try to justify their actions. Just stop and think how many more people could have died of covid by now had we all remained unvaccinated against covid. Specially older people and those with other 'comobidities'. At least having the vaccine gives quite a high degree of protection.
It also so far, means that hospitals in Cyprus are still able to treat people who have other illnesses, rather than abandoning some people with serious illnesses who need urgent operations etc, as the NHS was forced to as its hospitals were full of covid cases.
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

This sounds like one of the 'conspiracy' theories, used by some anti vaxxers to try to justify their actions. Just stop and think how many more people could have died of covid by now had we all remained unvaccinated against covid. Specially older people and those with other 'comobidities'. At least having the vaccine gives quite a high degree of protection.
It also so far, means that hospitals in Cyprus are still able to treat people who have other illnesses, rather than abandoning some people with serious illnesses who need urgent operations etc, as the NHS was forced to as its hospitals were full of covid cases.
Dee
[/quote]
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Very true Lloyd, he has a lot to answer for.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I am in contact with people who are unable to have the vaccine and they are managing very well by taking other precautionary measures and yet still have a reasonably active social life taking into account their other health issues and so far none of them or their close relatives has tested positive for Covid, which is why I lean towards people being more proactive about taking precautions than the 'having the vaccine/not having the vaccine stance'.
fishbeardsunset

Post by fishbeardsunset »

What infuriates me the most are those people who use public transport, as I do on a regular basis and their causal approach to mask wearing. Yesterday whilst on route to Paphos an elderly lady got on the bus and I noticed that she was not challenged by the driver as she was not wearing a face mask as she got on the bus. I looked around after she had sat down and for the entire journey she still did not bother - (or perhaps she had just forgotten that she should wear one-) in spite of every other passenger around her wearing one. Then another guy got on and sat opposite me and was using his mask as a "chin strap" which again does my head in.. Upon leaving the bus, I approached the driver and said I though it was compulsory for people to wear masks on the bus- and mentioned the lady that I had seen- and was still on the bus, and he just gauped at me! It is very tempting to perhaps politely speak out or have words with these individuals but then it's not my responsibility to enforce these rules as it could be seen as intimidating or unwelcome- but what do you do when I see it all the time now, particularly those that do not cover their nose and mouth..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I hope the booster starts showing up on the Pass because the last time I checked it showed 2 jabs and I have had three
Trev..