Chicken in short supply in UK… along with other goods..

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Re: Chicken in short supply in UK… along with other goods..

Post by Jim B »

I believe the problem is more related to a shortage of Process Workers and Delivery Drivers rather than shortages of Chicken.
Let's be honest, the "Pingdemic" is a Red Herring" for the nieve and those in denial, the problems are down to the the restrictions on "Freedom of Movement". Drivers are exempt from self isolation so there must be something else causing the problem and of course certain people are not going to admit to that.
My Son is a Class 1 HGV driver in the UK, it's not cheap taking the lessons and test so unless the government's going to give them for free I can't see any quick fix.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL

One, I did live in Cyprus for ten years, and I have many friends there.

Two, my son, his wife and children are currently living in Cyprus.

Three, you didn't answer my question, nicely sidelined.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

From the horses mouth..These two young lads walked into a factory and asked if there where any vacancies.Yes said the boss,what doing said the lads.The boss said i,ll take you on the shop floor and show you.
After showing them the what the job entailed ( some heavy lifting,operating machinery, stood on their feet all day ) the lads said politely no thank you its not for us.
When they got back in the office the boss asked the lads why is the job not for you..The reply " its not comenserate with our qualifications.They said to him can you sign this form,the boss said why.They said so we will get our job seekers allowance.
Half a million 16 to 24 year olds are out of work.No wonder there are shortages,,,,the mind boggles :(
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:30 pm WHL

One, I did live in Cyprus for ten years, and I have many friends there.

Two, my son, his wife and children are currently living in Cyprus.

Three, you didn't answer my question, nicely sidelined.
Sidelined? Do you actually read the posts, or make it up as you go along?.....

One I did live in England for over ten years and I have many friends there

Two my children are currently living living in the UK

Three I did answer your question, its you who nicely sidelines questions,

Four, it bothers me if there is a shortage of chickens back in the UK because I will be there in a couple of weeks'time and nandos is a place I always eat at

Five keep spinning the brexit line :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Chaddy wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:40 pm From the horses mouth..These two young lads walked into a factory and asked if there where any vacancies.Yes said the boss,what doing said the lads.The boss said i,ll take you on the shop floor and show you.
After showing them the what the job entailed ( some heavy lifting,operating machinery, stood on their feet all day ) the lads said politely no thank you its not for us.
When they got back in the office the boss asked the lads why is the job not for you..The reply " its not comenserate with our qualifications.They said to him can you sign this form,the boss said why.They said so we will get our job seekers allowance.
Half a million 16 to 24 year olds are out of work.No wonder there are shortages,,,,the mind boggles :(
Chaddy
Thats how it is in the Construction Industry. We couldn't get unskilled workers because they didn't want to do any hard work. They would turn up one day and then disappear.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Jim B wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:07 pm
Chaddy wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:40 pm From the horses mouth..These two young lads walked into a factory and asked if there where any vacancies.Yes said the boss,what doing said the lads.The boss said i,ll take you on the shop floor and show you.
Chaddy
Thats how it is in the Construction Industry. We couldn't get unskilled workers because they didn't want to do any hard work. They would turn up one day and then disappear.
Looks like nothing has changed since the mid 1980s when we were looking for security staff. The Job Centre would just send people without even checking if they even met the strict criteria. In those days just being given an appointment for an interview was considered enough to get the benefit payment, whereas now job seekers have to show they are at least making an effort to find work.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Where I am near Cheltenham the supermarkets seem well stocked. But they are having problems with some deliveries due to the current shortage of HGV1 lorry drivers.

Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

No problems with getting fresh chicken in the supermarket where we do our weekly shop, we buy enough for about 4 or 5 meals each time and freeze drumsticks and filleted breast of chicken - British produced.

But, we've been struggling for the last few weeks to get the 2L milk cartons that we buy each week. They've only had 6L cartons which are too big and bulky to work with. Plus we would end up chucking it away. We buy an extra 1L from the local Co-Op store in the village so 3L is plenty for us.

As for Nando's, we've never been so I doubt very much we're likely to be losing sleep over it.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:48 am
sued51 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:49 pm...sure it’ll be different next time I go to Paphos M&S, it’s looked like a disaster area since January

You might want to ask the staff there why. You'll get the same reply from the guy who runs the fish shop on the coast road in Chloraka. He used to buy most of his stuff from Billingsgate, now almost impossible. Told my wife this week he's now buying from Norway.

Not just chickens, poultry producers have been warning for days that there'll be a turkey shortage at Christmas:

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2021-08 ... nd-at-xmas

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 05779.html

On the ITV London news last night restaurant owners said they are absolutely desperate for staff. One they spoke to has had to give all his staff a 10% rise in an effort to hold on to them; said that this will result in higher prices.
Bang Bang Same old drum
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Now an octogenarian i can remember back to when i was in my late teens,early twenty,s that if you did not have a job you would not dare go down to the pub to see your mates because of the ridicule and micky taking they would hand out to you.
And you would not even think about asking a girl out in case she found out you where not working.
Now it seems to be out of work is not a problem ( over half a million 16 to 24 year olds not working ).
How things have changed :(
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Life expectancy was a lot less then as well.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

I can never remember being actually ashamed of signing on. It was seen as a lifeline if you lost your job.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Anarita John wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:52 am I can never remember being actually ashamed of signing on. It was seen as a lifeline if you lost your job.
There is a difference between signing on as a last option to feed your family,
and making it a life long career choice.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:54 am
Anarita John wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:52 am I can never remember being actually ashamed of signing on. It was seen as a lifeline if you lost your job.
There is a difference between signing on as a last option to feed your family,
and making it a life long career choice.
I could not have worded it better WHL.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Dominic wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:37 am Life expectancy was a lot less then as well.
i

Dominic,excuse my ageing grey matter but what do you mean?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Dominic wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:37 am Life expectancy was a lot less then as well.
And jobs were much easier to come by...

My mum is 80 and has told us of how she could leave one job and have another the very next day.

Where we live in UK, we have a very limited bus service which ceases at 8pm. The journey time into the main town (a tourist area) takes around 70 minutes.

There's very little work this side of the river and it's always been known for being a retirement area, except since we've been here there's been an influx of 3 and 4 bedroom houses which can only mean one thing - that's families.

Families who invariably will have young children and teenagers.

It's 12 miles from the main town and at least 4 of those are unlit country roads.

At the weekend our Saturday bus service is reduced by 50 percent to one per hour, still finishing at 8pm. The Sunday service is every 90 minutes and finishes at 6pm.

It's almost impossible for 16+ age group to get a full time job without having their own transport.

Chaddy, times have changed - people need a career that will guarantee them an income and private pension contributions. Having to continue working until the age of 66 for women and 67 for men (looking to increase to 70yrs) before a UK Government Pension is received is an extra burden to carry.

Very few people can take an early retirement at age 50 now. My parents were in that bracket and many of the friends we have made since we moved here after we left Cyprus.

People in that age group just cannot grasp the situation today but live only on their own past experience.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Supermarket shelves go empty and every industry that relied on foreign workers continues to struggle to operate, the Brexiteer government has doubled down on maintaining an anti-immigration stance post Brexit. There have been calls for temporary visas for about 10,000 drivers, which would only make a dent in the shortage problem, but even this has been rejected by Boris Johnson's government.
They blame the Covid virus not brexit, I think its due to both
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Uncle D wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:35 am Supermarket shelves go empty and every industry that relied on foreign workers continues to struggle to operate, the Brexiteer government has doubled down on maintaining an anti-immigration stance post Brexit. There have been calls for temporary visas for about 10,000 drivers, which would only make a dent in the shortage problem, but even this has been rejected by Boris Johnson's government.
Again Uncle D,my friend in the UK who does not employ foreign workers says that a big part of the problem he has getting workers is that youngsters these days want to work with their fingers,not their muscles.( half a million 16 to 24 year old unemployed ) :(
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well Firefly, I am finding a slightly different picture to you. I’m in Cheltenhan where we have all the main supemarkets. And there are gaps on some of the shelves.
I was talking to one of Waitrose’s staff today. She told me that indeed they are having problems with their supply chains. Most recently is the sudden shortage of non alchoholic bottled drinks. Some of the same as Mc Donalds were reporting yesterday. But there are also other products in their grocery lines for which they are waiting for a delivery. Unless something changes it may mean shortages at Christnas. Now the Govt are talking about licensing larger, longer in length lorries which can carry more goods. But as to how these giants can operate in narrow crowded streets in many of our towns is a matter which concerns the police..
Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Chaddy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:32 pm
Uncle D wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:35 am Supermarket shelves go empty and every industry that relied on foreign workers continues to struggle to operate, the Brexiteer government has doubled down on maintaining an anti-immigration stance post Brexit. There have been calls for temporary visas for about 10,000 drivers, which would only make a dent in the shortage problem, but even this has been rejected by Boris Johnson's government.
Again Uncle D,my friend in the UK who does not employ foreign workers says that a big part of the problem he has getting workers is that youngsters these days want to work with their fingers,not their muscles.( half a million 16 to 24 year old unemployed ) :(
The OP is mainly about supply.
Apart from having to be a car licence holder, you need to be 18 to take a HGV test, that cuts the half a million down by quite a bit. Even so do we want young, inexperienced drivers probably fatigued with the long hours to be on the roads driving huge lorries?
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy