Vaccination

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Vaccination

Post by WHL »

Paphos Pete

Re: Vaccination

Post by Paphos Pete »

This is a good idea, and hopefully other sectors will follow suite and do the same, or this is never going to end and return to some sense of normality.

I've had no end of hassle from the wife over the last few months, about selling our holiday home and moving on. She's been banging on about the general lethargy amongst the locals to properly adopt social distancing, wear masks, get vaccinated and all the other stuff, saying that if the general populous don't get their act together, things will take so long to return to normal compared to other countries, we should sell our villa and buy in Spain or Italy instead, where things are more likely to return to normal much faster.

This has now been further compounded by some friends doing exactly that. They also have had property on Cyprus for nearly as long as us, but one of them being in the the 'vulnerable' category have made the decision to sell up and buy in Spain. Apparently, they have had no problems selling, and found a buyer really quickly so demand is still there.

Not sure how I'd feel about no longer having a bolt hole in Cyprus after the best part of 30 years, but I guess having one somewhere you can use is better than having one you cannot safely visit. None of us are getting any younger after all.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Paphos Pete wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:34 am This is a good idea, and hopefully other sectors will follow suite and do the same, or this is never going to end and return to some sense of normality.

I've had no end of hassle from the wife over the last few months, about selling our holiday home and moving on. She's been banging on about the general lethargy amongst the locals to properly adopt social distancing, wear masks, get vaccinated and all the other stuff, saying that if the general populous don't get their act together, things will take so long to return to normal compared to other countries, we should sell our villa and buy in Spain or Italy instead, where things are more likely to return to normal much faster.

This has now been further compounded by some friends doing exactly that. They also have had property on Cyprus for nearly as long as us, but one of them being in the the 'vulnerable' category have made the decision to sell up and buy in Spain. Apparently, they have had no problems selling, and found a buyer really quickly so demand is still there.

Not sure how I'd feel about no longer having a bolt hole in Cyprus after the best part of 30 years, but I guess having one somewhere you can use is better than having one you cannot safely visit. None of us are getting any younger after all.
Why do you say that, do the stats suggest that?
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

No, no stats - just observational really. Having spent a lot of time in Cyprus over the last two plus decades, you get a a real feel for what the general public are like. There's not much of a sense of urgency for anything, and a bit of an 'it'll be alright tomorrow' mantra, which I really like and was one of the attractions for us to buy here in the first place.
However, when it comes to organising anything in any sort of regimented fashion and trying to get things done, the 'mañana' attitude often gets in the way.

While obviously there will always be anti-vaxers and doubters in every country, places like Spain, Italy and Germany are generally much more organised and are better at rolling out any sort of program, educating the general public, and implementing directives.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Paphos Pete wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:07 pm No, no stats - just observational really. Having spent a lot of time in Cyprus over the last two plus decades, you get a a real feel for what the general public are like. There's not much of a sense of urgency for anything, and a bit of an 'it'll be alright tomorrow' mantra, which I really like and was one of the attractions for us to buy here in the first place.
However, when it comes to organising anything in any sort of regimented fashion and trying to get things done, the 'mañana' attitude often gets in the way.

While obviously there will always be anti-vaxers and doubters in every country, places like Spain, Italy and Germany are generally much more organised and are better at rolling out any sort of program, educating the general public, and implementing directives.
I agree with you about Germany, but as you never said you were thinking of moving there, with respect thats a bit of a red herring, as for being laid back Italy and Spain are right up there with Cyprus, When this covid hit the World, Cyprus managed it much better then both Spain and Italy, and as Cyprus population is only a million people, personally I would take my chances here, but good luck on where ever you decide to move to.
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

Thanks. Hopefully we're not going anywhere. I was merely sharing an alternative viewpoint and highlighting yet another potential side-effect caused by the virus.

I, and probably you and a lot of others will feel a lot more comfortable when the vaccination rates amongst the general population improve. Lets hope the potential directive you highlighted in the linked Cyprus Mail article gets things moving.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We have felt very safe here in Cyprus during the pandemic. Both of us are now vaccinated and only a few weeks later than we would have been in Wales. We have taken advantage of the vulnerable peoples shopping hours, which we call old codgers shopping. Lidl at 7:15am, followed by Alpha Mega. No queues and good social distancing. Now that has disappeared we still go early, as the shops are generally quiet. We have visited the Mall, again early morning and it has been much quieter than normal. Jumbos at 9:00am when it opens, followed by the other shops at 10am.
We also applaud Cyprus for the testing of workers twice a week, something which has not happened in the UK until recently.
At the school we used to work at in the UK, half of the school are off because of cases in year groups and staff testing positive.
The local taverna we go to in Timi and our local pub in Anarita both adhere to the strict regulations.

In fact, the only time we have felt vunerable was autumn when we ate outdoors at a nearby village (not Kouklia) and there was entertainment. Some Brits danced, when dancing was still banned and people were moving from table to table talking to friends.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

I am guessing it was Mandria.............last autumn we walked into the village and saw what was going on and turned round and went to a relatively sedate Pissouri, not worth risking !