State proposing tougher traffic offence penalties

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

State proposing tougher traffic offence penalties

Post by Paphos Life »

The Justice and Transport Ministries will shortly be proposing significantly more severe penalties for road safety offences, including a 500% rise in some fines....

Read the article and chat about it below...
memory man

Re: State proposing tougher traffic offence penalties

Post by memory man »

as will being caught talking on your mobile phone while driving.
What if you are only listening?

It should have said "as will being caught using your mobile phone while driving"
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Unfortunately, "hands free" doesn't encourage keeping both of those hands on the steering wheel and concentrating on the road ahead!

Too many times have I been sitting behind someone yacking away with their head in the air, tossing it side to side whilst waving their hands all over the place as they hold a conversation with the person at the other end of the phone.

If the call is so important, pull over and take the call properly or wait for a convenient time and make the phone call then. A mobile phone means you can carry it with you at all times, it doesn't mean you're tethered to it like an umbilical cord which must be obeyed each time it tugs!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

And if you have a back seat driver what should you do?
Pull in every time they talk to you?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I usually ignore them!
But generally, there's only 2 of us in the car together ;-)
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Stating the obvious, any little distraction is just that - whether it be eating, drinking, smoking or sleeping if it takes your eyes off the road for a split second.

What's wrong with a voicemail that says "I'm currently driving and will return your call when able"?

Policemen and ambulances generally travel "two up" - one to drive and the other to deal with radio etc for incoming and outgoing communications. And no, before you ask I haven't been in either vehicle but we've seen our fair share of ambulances and police cars on our back roads on call out to accidents or emergencies as well as following my Dad to the hospital in one on a couple of occasions.

Yesterday, we drove past a guy (not a kid, a bloke in his 50s) on a pushbike whilst texting on his phone. He was all over the road which meant we had to give him a wide berth on one of the a busier country roads. Similar to Cyprus, the roads here are not particularly wide yet people still drive like idiots!

I can't tell you exactly how many cars have ended up in the local ditches between the Shard bridge and Knott End, upturned completely or through the hedge in nearby fields since we came to live here last April - but it's more than the fingers on one hand. We've got stuck in traffic that number of times until the emergency services could clear the road in front of us....

I honestly thought UK would be clamping down much more on the use of phones etc but clearly, that is not the case.

Remember, it's mostly women who can multi-task so perhaps we should just say men doing any of the above should be avoided at all costs ;-)