Giant Palm tree removal (picture story)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Giant Palm tree removal (picture story)

Post by cyprusmax47 »

This little picture story is about my German friend's garden where I am the key holder since many years. Since 2 years there is quite a problem with a date palm tree which is grown so much that it reaches the electricity lines what means EAC has to come twice a year to cut the palm leaves on the top.

But not only that problem appeared: as it is a female tree it bears loads of dates (ca 250 kg) and when they get ripe then there is a invasion of Egyptian fruit bats. They live in the tree for month and drop every night half eaten dates in the pool along with their poo. Within days the pool turns green...

here a close up of the upper dates...

I got the green light from my friends to cut the culprit and remembered a photo from Dominic's last carnival blog, showing a car from a tree service company showing their advertising signs on their lorry. So I contacted this company to come and remove the tree which they did last week when the temperature was nearly 40c...
They came with 3 people and started erecting a scaffold tower to reach the top of the tree which was again very near to the electric cables..

so from here the work can start...

no good if you have problems with heights

as it was quite windy some leaves could touch the electric, so one guy was holding the hook

so slowly, slowly

one by one

last dangerous one

now every meter or so a cut

extremely hard wood, but with the large Stiehl ....

the top is gone

It took another 1/2 day to cut the huge stem down till one meter and the result looks like that now... perfect job, bravo Cyprus Tree Services!

Max
Jimgward

Re: Giant Palm tree removal (picture story)

Post by Jimgward »

I had a palm that one day just fell over! It had been eaten away by the palm bugs and nobody knew until it fell...., we then had to get the stumps ground out...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I chopped our one down last year. Bloody hard work it was too. Harder still was when I had to saw up the trunk into sizes big enough to fit (and be place in) the back of the car. That took several trips to the Green Point, I can tell you.

We are still left with a four foot high stump. I am considering levelling the top off and converting it to a bird table or something.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Wow Max, that must have been a difficult job for them. Well done though.
Louise :)
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Had to be CTS, do a great job - and I recognised one of my friends operating the chainsaw even with the safety gear on.

Ian