Cyprus has among least safe roads in Europe

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Cyprus has among least safe roads in Europe

Post by Paphos Life »

Cyprus is near the bottom of European countries when it comes to the number of road fatalities per million inhabitants, according to figures released by the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA).While Sweden has the safest roads, with 25 road deaths per million people, the UK is second with 28 and Cyprus is ranked at number 20 with 62....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Firefly

Re: Cyprus has among least safe roads in Europe

Post by Firefly »

I don't think that comes as any surprise to us.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I'm afraid it comes from poor/indifferent police work, both in the field and on the media/
emgee

Post by emgee »

Roads don't kill....drivers do.

Alan
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Hardly comes as any surprise to me considering

a) The standard of driving and ignorance of drink/drug driving laws/speed limits and important safety items such as crash helmets and seat belts and habitual use of a mobile whilst driving

b) The local police's lack of enforcement of infringements

c) Punishments if they actual get to court are far too low and do not act as a deterrent

d) High usage of 10-20 year old cars that are not as structurally safe and not having air bags fitted as standard as on most moderns cars

e) Few or no speed cameras ( about to change if they buy the right ones this time around )
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, really that's no surprise to me,
So much careless driving and impatient drivers on the road.. Things would be a bit safer if only all drivers used their direction indicators to give other drivers sone advance warning of their intentions.. and avoided tailgating the driver in front.

Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dee

I always thought that indicators were an optional extra in Cyprus. ;)

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

when you see all those battered pick ups driven mostly by construction workers with worn tyres broken brake lights, head lights and the odd cracked windscreen,spewing out black smoke from there tail pipes you wonder how they passed an MOT
emgee

Post by emgee »

None of the above comments are the roads fault, they are all the drivers fault.

Be safe, drive defensively.

Alan
Ex IAM Member
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

bmwx5 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:25 am when you see all those battered pick ups driven mostly by construction workers with worn tyres broken brake lights, head lights and the odd cracked windscreen,spewing out black smoke from there tail pipes you wonder how they passed an MOT
Before MOT is due they change their car wrecks... :roll: :roll:

Max
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I like the police over here they are easy going.
The only nice British cops that I have met are all retired high ranking officers, the others PCs to Sergeants still cant shake off their surly, school bully, everyone's a criminal approach to life.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

In my limited contact with the police both here and in the UK, a lot depends on the way that you treat them. I always treat police officers with respect and try to be polite and co operative. Obviously it depends on the situation, but nothing is gained by being unpleasant or rude.

So far, in my limited contact with police, I haven't had a problem. I always remember that in the future a situation might arise when I might need them... Though hopefully not!
Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Uncle D

It's a great pity then, that you never met my late husband.

He was a sergeant who could handle any situation in a fair but firm manner, with kindness and compassion when the need arose. He was respected by his constables, as well as the public he served. Your sweeping statement is rude to say the least, but then not unexpected.

Jackie
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Strange that since the arrival of Covid19 the Police in Cyprus seem to have appeared from nowhere and fine almost everything. Routine patrols, stopping motorists , fining businesses and HiC says he doesn't want to live in a Police state......so funny if it were not sad.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:07 pm Strange that since the arrival of Covid19 the Police in Cyprus seem to have appeared from nowhere and fine almost everything. Routine patrols, stopping motorists , fining businesses and HiC says he doesn't want to live in a Police state......so funny if it were not sad.
Scrapping the barrel yet again,
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Not really. Simply commenting on observations and daily reports of increased Police activity. If one wishes to discuss the differences in approach of differing Police forces then you should be able to detect that with this emergency, the State in Cyprus has finally discovered that it has a force and with a pliant public confined to their homes and almost encouraged to spy on and report their neighbours for infringing decrees. In that environment you are living in a Police state.

Only a few months ago, it was really difficult to see a Police officer patrolling or actually doing what would normally be expected of them. Now, they are everywhere.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

What a clever person. I am currently in Wales due to lockdown and am waiting to return to Cyprus as soon as permitted. As for increased police activity, it continues to this day and the continual reports of fines being levied and the clearly increased number of investigations would indicate that the pandemic has had a magic effect on the willingness of the police to be more present.

I am aware of the pandemic and the cost in lives and liberty that it has generated. I am also aware of the withering criticism of most other Governments responses to it as compared to say, New Zealand or Cyprus. People will be people and it simply makes me laugh at some of the reactions to things.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, Chlorakas has an increased police presence, but personally I think that is good.

Dee
boycott

Post by boycott »

In my humble opinion I feel that the Cypriot Police are lacking leadership and direction and are not sure what they should be targeting with regards to road policing and road safety.

In Limassol the Police have been targeting SUP's paddling inside the marked area and fining them.
I ask, whilst of course it is against the law so it is difficult to argue against it, how many swimmers have been inconvenienced, slightly or seriously injured or killed as a result of a paddle boarder?
Also why did the Police target the easy to prosecute SUP's and yet failed to prosecute the jet ski inside the marked area?

Yet some 300m inland is the main tourist road where any number of illegal high powered motor cycle many speeding or riding dangerously, without registration plates and helmets seem to be able to ride unhindered on their journey by the Police, presumably having no insurance etc.
Never mind the number of poorly maintained vehicles and any number of HGV's driving in a weight limit area.

Yesterday there was a steady stream of high powered motor cycles with registration plates making their way upto Troodos and yet no Police on the way there and no action from Troodos Police checking the parked motor cycles there.

In yesterdays Cyprus Mail on Sunday there was a debate about cyclists using designated cycle paths, the chap who represents the Cyprus Cycle Association says it is OK for cyclists not to use the paths and ride on the road and there is no law saying they must, however the Traffic Police rep says he THINKS it an offence for a cyclist to cycle on the road where there is a cycle path. He seemed to suggest that there is a what he considers a legal sign showing a cycle path so it must be an offence not to use it.
Does he actually know the law and if so produce the relevant legislation.
It is also obligatory for cyclist to show the new fashioned lights to the front and rear (which are very effective I must say), I appreciate that they cost money and for the semi or professional cyclist it is a bit more weight on the cycle but I feel the small amount of weight carried is worth it as he identifies the cyclist alot better.
How many cyclist's are stopped and dealt with for this?

So what are the Cypriot Traffic Police really doing in terms of road safety as opposed to taking easy targets?
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

A 31-year-old motorcyclist is in critical condition in Nicosia hospital after an accident which happened on Poseidonos avenue in Paphos shortly before midnight on Sunday.

The accident happened at 11.10pm, when he lost control of his motorbike and it overturned.

The man, who had a helmet but was not wearing it, was first taken to Paphos hospital but due to the severity of his injuries was transferred to Nicosia.

According to preliminary examinations, the biker, who was travelling towards the Kato Paphos harbour, was trying to overtake cars when he hit a traffic island dividing the two lanes.

He sustained head injuries and multiple fractures.

CM 20-07-2020