Beautiful creature... anybody knows the name?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Beautiful creature... anybody knows the name?

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Yesterday I rescued this huge beetle from the outdoor sink at my friends place. Nobody knows how long it was there already in this heat without water.
So I took it home and googled in order to find it's name and to get some food. Unfortunately I could not find anything but perhaps there is a member on here which is a expert......

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Beautiful creature... anybody knows the name?

Post by Dominic »

Wow its got some impressive antennae.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Louise :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:29 am Looks like a capricorn beetle. https://www.shutterstock.com/image-phot ... -386439526

You are correct Louise. In the meantime I found some more infos about that beetle and some sites telling that Cyprus is not among the countries where this creature is found. However it is interesting:

"Cerambyx cerdo species (capricorn beetle) is protected in the European Union, given that it is included in the Berne Convention, appendix 2: “Strictly protected fauna species”; under the Habitat Directive in appendix 2: “Sites of community importance” and appendix 4: “Strict protection regime species”; and classified as vulnerable by the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature).

It is on the red list in Germany and one can find them only in one area around Karlsruhe and is threatened with extinction..."

and further a nice video

Max