Fish, Chips n Mushy Peas

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Re: Fish, Chips n Mushy Peas

Post by Lincoln »

ast wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:09 pm Well whatever the combination I hope you enjoyed your Friday fish and chips Lincoln, question is was it cod or Haddock. 8-)
Thank you-Yes it was delicious. At the moment they are only doing COD.
All things are possible
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

We had the same meal last night , but ours was diy . Birdseye battered cod , McCann oven chips and tinned mushy peas . Oh and the wife had curry sauce on hers . And we are both from up north ....Salford .
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

trevnhil wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:08 pm Mike it says 'TAKEAWAY'
True, but in the article the wording is "Today they started a takeaway and delivery service."
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

71 Trans Am wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:14 pm I am surprised that PIE & MASH shops haven't made it to Cyprus yet and always served with Mushy peas - Some bright green and some pale green - Seemed to start in Essex in the Mid Seventies and now all over the country and very nice too.
Currently operating as Oulas Cafe Diner in Chloraka, when Ramsdens had a fish and chip restaurant there they had pies on their menu - not sure if it was Pukka Pies as it was some time ago.

The Railway Inn is offering an extensive list of home made pies and sides as well as the fish and chips on their current menu.

You can phone or send a SMS to 99 289 285 or send a Facebook Message with your order.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Mrblobby wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:20 am We had the same meal last night , but ours was diy . Birdseye battered cod , McCann oven chips and tinned mushy peas . Oh and the wife had curry sauce on hers . And we are both from up north ....Salford .
Those birdseye battered cods are pretty good. Quite expensive here though.

O
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Again DIY, I like the Tesco battered cod (4 pieces) €5.99 with Freezeland crinkle chips from either Tesco or Paps. As far as I'm concerned mushy peas are definately OFF the menu. I prefer garden peas (Findus from Paps)
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We got some frozen mushy peas from Alpha Mega. Cream of the Crop, packaged in our old home town of Rochdale. They are really good and much better than the ones from the chippy. Had them with some Lidl frozen cod, (lightly floured and fried) and homemade chips, made from Mandria potatoes.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I can highly recommend the chips from The Railway - takes me back a few years!
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Anarita John wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:47 am We got some frozen mushy peas from Alpha Mega. Cream of the Crop, packaged in our old home town of Rochdale. They are really good and much better than the ones from the chippy. Had them with some Lidl frozen cod, (lightly floured and fried) and homemade chips, made from Mandria potatoes.
The cod in Lidl is fabulous..but haven’t been able to get any for ages 😭
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
WHL

Post by WHL »

Home made chips double fried, wife slowly blanches them, then into hot oil crispy and fluffy, frozen or oven chips don't compare, we are lucky because we have a fish chip resturant called Lambros, over our end of the island, in the Eastern SBA bases, best fish and chips on the island, people come for miles for his food.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:04 am We get our cod from Lidl too. Not battered or breadcrumbed, just plain. It's like fresh from a fish shop. Then wife make a sauce to go with it using leek, mushrooms and cream; absolutely gorgeous!
Well, That's one can see on my photo above - cod from Lidl!! also just plain, important that it is not overcooked (max.50c) controlled by the food thermometer I got also from Lidl. As I am a hoarder, there is still plenty in my freezer :lol: Concerning the sauce/mayo: consists mainly of eggs...

Max
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:04 am We get our cod from Lidl too. Not battered or breadcrumbed, just plain. It's like fresh from a fish shop. Then wife make a sauce to go with it using leek, mushrooms and cream; absolutely gorgeous!

You're right, not been able to get for ages...could it be a seasonal thingy?
Hope not, I’ve usually got it all year round, maybe problems with transportation due to virus, I usually dip in flour, egg then in Panko breadcrumbs...absolutely gorgeous
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no