Stark, staring, bonkers.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Stark, staring, bonkers.

Post by Devil »

Today is supposed to be a holiday in Cyprus because Greece said 'no' to Italy to join them in the second world war.
PhotoLady

Re: Stark, staring, bonkers.

Post by PhotoLady »

That's never been my understanding of it... Oxi Day or "No" Day has this explanation:

This ultimatum, which was presented to Metaxas by the Italian ambassador to Greece, Emanuele Grazzi, shortly after 03:00 am on 28 October 1940, who had just come from a party in the Italian embassy in Athens, demanded Greece allow Axis forces to enter Greek territory and occupy certain unspecified "strategic locations" or otherwise face war. It was allegedly answered with a single laconic word: όχι (No!). However, his actual reply was, “Alors, c’est la guerre!” (so this is war!).[1][2]
In response to Metaxas's refusal, Italian troops stationed in Albania, then an Italian protectorate, attacked the Greek border at 05:30 am—the beginning of Greece's participation in World War II (see Greco-Italian War and the Battle of Greece).
On the morning of 28 October, the Greek population took to the streets, irrespective of political affiliation, shouting 'ohi'. From 1942, it was celebrated as Ohi Day, first mostly among the members of the resistance and after the war by all the Greeks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohi_Day

UPDATED to add numbers:
The Italian army suffered 102,064 combat casualties (with 13,700 dead and 3,900 missing) and fifty thousand sick; the Greeks suffered over 90,000 combat casualties (including 14,000 killed and 5,000 missing) and an unknown number of sick.[7] The economic and military failings of the Italian fascist regime were exposed by the Greek debacle and simultaneous defeats against the British in North Africa, which reduced the Italian fascist regime to dependence on Germany.
Last edited by PhotoLady on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Why is this stark, staring bonkers?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:58 am Why is this stark, staring bonkers?
Because it has nowt to do with Cyprus which, at the time, was a member of the British Empire as a Crown Colony. Why should Cyprus celebrate a holiday because Greece told Italy to bugger off 70-odd years ago?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:55 pm
Because it has nowt to do with Cyprus which, at the time, was a member of the British Empire as a Crown Colony. Why should Cyprus celebrate a holiday because Greece told Italy to bugger off 70-odd years ago?
Im guessing Many Cypriots joined the war in Greece, having a common ancestry etc, and if I remember correctly Hitler had to invade Greece and bail the Italians out, he wasnt a happy bunny,which caused him delays in his plans,... is it the fact alot of shops are closed causing your moaning/ grumpiness, because I cant think of another reason :lol:
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Greek Independence Day on 25 March will possibly have the same effect on Devil?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:55 pm
Since Cyprus gained their freedom from the UK it has been up to them to celebrate what they choose to celebrate. That's what freedom is all about. If Cyprus feels a bit of love for Greece that is up to Cyprus. Just be thankful that they let you live here still.

This puts it nicely:

https://publicholidays.eu/cyprus/ochi-day/

Cyprus particularly considers the day as one to not only remember the bravery of the people who walked in the past, but to focus on the future and to believe that its people can have strong and independent freedom and prosperity.

That's independence from the UK mate!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:12 pm Im guessing Many Cypriots joined the war in Greece, having a common ancestry etc,
By the end of the war, 17,916 Cypriots had joined the Cyprus Regiment and the Cyprus Volunteer force, including 778 women that joined the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) and Army. Many fought in Dunkirk and N. Africa and numbers lost their lives in the Allied cause.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with Devil. I have often wondered why this event was so important for Cyprus?

Cyprus has never been part of Greece. Twice the Brits in Colonial Government times offered the island of Cyprus to Greece.Twice the Greeks refused this offer. They have several hundred other islands...

Incidentally the bravery of the Cypriots who joined the British forces in World War 2 was never in doubt. The Germans never attacked Cyprus choosing Crete instead.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:01 pm I agree with Devil. I have often wondered why this event was so important for Cyprus?

Cyprus has never been part of Greece. Twice the Brits in Colonial Government times offered the island of Cyprus to Greece.Twice the Greeks refused this offer. They have several hundred other islands...

Incidentally the bravery of the Cypriots who joined the British forces in World War 2 was never in doubt. The Germans never attacked Cyprus choosing Crete instead.

Dee
With respect I think you need to read up on your History., Britain offered to cede Cyprus to Greece in 1915, IF Greece attacked Bulgaria, that was the only time... by your reasonin the falklands have nothing in common with the UK.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

WHL
No, its true and documented that Cyprus was offered twice to Athens.

The Falklands War was a very different issue,

Dee.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:43 pm WHL
No, its true and documented that Cyprus was offered twice to Athens.

The Falklands War was a very different issue,

Dee.
Only offered once according to google, but please share your info with the rest of us.
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

I don't have a problem with this.
If the Cypriots want to recognise or celebrate a Greek day or even an event in Thailand for instance why should it matter to Brits.

There is many a times the UK Govt recognise the days or events of countries outside of the UK.

Be respectful of your hosts is all i'll add.