DRIVING IN SANDALS

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: DRIVING IN SANDALS

Post by trevnhil »

I would be interested to see the link or the law about not driving in Sandals.
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Law or not, driving in flip flops is not a good idea. on a side not an Australian relative of mine once said, I love your thongs mate :shock: meaning my flipflops.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Here's a link to this>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/road ... t-illegal/
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I believe that driving in Flip Flops is a definite No NO. However, I often (usually) drive wearing sandals. The sandals are the tight fit over toes and so no chance of slippage. Also, I drive an automatic car so it is easier.
All things are possible
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Sandals are fine as long as they're fixed by a strap securely to the foot.
It's flip flops and also what they now call sliders that can cause a problem if they come off as they can get stuck underneath the brake pedal.
Not good if you can't press that particular pedal to the metal 🤐
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I had a very close friend who was killed in a road accident when the driver of the hired minibus he was in could not press the brake pedal to the floor as one of his flip-flops had slid underneath.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I had a scary moment years ago I was driving a Vauxhall H.A van,back in the UK,
wearing flip flops, whilst going to fast i had to suddenly stop,
as I pushed down on the brake, an empty coke can, rolled under the pedals, stopping me braking,
I had little pressure wearing flip flops, with shoes I could of pushed harder, long story short,
i had to get up out the seat and using the steering wheel i had to push with all I had to crush the can and finally brake,
only the fact that I could swerve out of the way, saved my bacon that day,
so not a good Idea to leave empty coke tins on the floor and wear flip flops.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Wearing flip flops is risky, as they are held on the foot by the toes only and can twist. In the event of emergency braking it has been known for a flip flop to get stuck under the pedal thus preventing the driver from braking.
People should use their common sense, even if they have just left he beach...

Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

I used to drive with bare feet for years.

When I took my test, I arrived wearing three inch heels, the examiner looked at my shoes, but didn't say a word. when we got into the car, I took my shoes off, and put them in the back. I took my test in bare feet, and passed. The examiner still didn't mention my shoes, or the lack of them.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

After reading all the above and people stating that they could not press the brake pedal all the way to the floor. My brake pedal only needs about an inch pressed, and we come to a stop. So my view is that perhaps many people need their brakes adjusted?

Also in an emergency stop the hand brake is also pulled on as well as the brake pedal. :D
All things are possible
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Lincoln
I can't say if the brakes needed adjusting nor can the driver, as he was killed along with my best mate.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Lincoln wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:30 pm Also in an emergency stop the hand brake is also pulled on as well as the brake pedal. :D
My Lexus does not have a hand brake. It has a parking brake pedal, but impossible to use in an emergency; just the ordinary brake pedal.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lincoln wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:30 pm After reading all the above and people stating that they could not press the brake pedal all the way to the floor. My brake pedal only needs about an inch pressed, and we come to a stop. So my view is that perhaps many people need their brakes adjusted?

Also in an emergency stop the hand brake is also pulled on as well as the brake pedal. :D
If you read what I posted, you will see I was driving a Vauxhall h.a van circa 1970 the brakes were a bit different them days :lol:
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

The MOST important thing about ALL of the above for me is; do not, I repeat. . . .do not wear socks with with sandals, let alone flip flops It is (without a doubt) considered the most heinous of crimes! 😊

Maggie B
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Maggie B wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:13 pm The MOST important thing about ALL of the above for me is; do not, I repeat. . . .do not wear socks with with sandals, let alone flip flops It is (without a doubt) considered the most heinous of crimes! 😊

Maggie B
But, they won't kill you 😉
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

JimX wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:00 am No such thing as ''on the spot fines'' you get a ticket and pay at most banks, speaking from experience. :x
You can also pay at JCCsmart on the web
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum