So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half hour youtube video. Also, we want you to win your debate by the strength of your argument. Attacking your opponent weakens your argument.
User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4245
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:38 am

Every night, just after midnight (Cyprus time) I check the Sky News website, because they are the first to publish images of the front pages of the UK's daily newspapers. The BBC does it better, but not for 2-3 hours after Sky. Last night I was puzzled why an image of the Sunday Times front page was missing. This has never happened before...and I just couldn't understand why.

Perhaps I now comprehend; the Sunday Times has got hold of a complete copy of the Government's "Yellowhammer" report. This is a secret government document, only provided to those with a "need to know". I can well imagine that had the government found out about the explosive leaks in today's ST beforehand, they might well have sought an injunction to prevent it's publication and distribution.

In the paper there is page after page of revelation relating to likely events after a "Hard Deal" Brexit...and it is frightening in the extreme. In Cyprus I have to pay €5.70 for my favourite read of the week, but those in the UK can 'gen up' for a lot less. If you want to read what the Government itself thinks will happen in the event of a Hard Brexit, trot down to your local newsagent and invest in a copy of today's ST.

And June, to answer your question, while none of us know precisely what will be the various outcomes of Brexit, particularly in the case of a Hard Brexit (should it happen, as now seems most likely), I would say that 95% of the predictions made by me, the two Jims and various other Remainers over the past two years WILL come true.

The ST does not provide online links to it's articles, so I will have to content myself with posting a scan of the introductory article on the front page. The inner pages of the ST make for far scarier reading.

Image

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4245
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:58 am

Just to reiterate, this is a secret Government report, not 'Project Fear' as Brexiteers love to term it.

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgward » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:49 am


Jimgym
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgym » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 pm

And? Many of us did and to realise that there will be problems. Still it gives Remainers something to do, posting these articles.

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4245
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 pm

"There will be problems"

Understatement of the year :lol:

Civil unrest doesn't bear thinking about. People have short fuses these days.

And as for the possibility of over 282 EU fishing boats in UK waters on Brexit Day :shock:

Of most concern though is the Irish border. Various political factions in Eire may well use this to their own ends.

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgward » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Latest polls say that 70% of people are against a hard-Brexit - democracy anyone?

Also, HAD the referendum been legal, rather than advisory, it would have been declared void due to illegalities. Since it was only advisory, the courts couldn't Take those steps. May treated it as legal, as does Boris.

Jim B
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jim B » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 pm
And? Many of us did and to realise that there will be problems. Still it gives Remainers something to do, posting these articles.
Master of the understatement heh!! Alan?

I read two really good quotes the other day about democracy
"When politicians lie, democracy dies"
And
"Democracy is about more than just a vote".

It appears Leavers are quite happy to see our country and people irrevocably damaged just to get their own way; sad.
Please don't suggest project fear, it's already happening.

Jim

Les Bean
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Les Bean » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:17 pm

IMG_20190816_085536.jpg
IMG_20190816_085536.jpg (89.3 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Jimgward wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:57 pm
Latest polls say that 70% of people are against a hard-Brexit - democracy anyone?

Also, HAD the referendum been legal, rather than advisory, it would have been declared void due to illegalities. Since it was only advisory, the courts couldn't Take those steps. May treated it as legal, as does Boris.

Les Bean
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Les Bean » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:21 pm

IMG_20190816_085315.jpg
IMG_20190816_085315.jpg (71.45 KiB) Viewed 364 times
No apologies for posting this again

Les Bean
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Les Bean » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:24 pm

IMG_20190816_085633.jpg
IMG_20190816_085633.jpg (117.48 KiB) Viewed 364 times
And Boris seems to contradict the statement that the problem is the eu

Jimgym
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgym » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 pm
And? Many of us did and to realise that there will be problems. Still it gives Remainers something to do, posting these articles.
Master of the understatement heh!! Alan?

I read two really good quotes the other day about democracy
"When politicians lie, democracy dies"
And
"Democracy is about more than just a vote".

It appears Leavers are quite happy to see our country and people irrevocably damaged just to get their own way; sad.
Please don't suggest project fear, it's already happening.

Jim
I'm a master of many things Jim, but unlike many on here I am no good at constantly whingeing about how bad they see things. Remainers are only happy when they see something negative to post, hence I rarely respond. Lloyd, the master of acting like an old woman seems to have absolutely nothing better to do. I guess he deserves my pity. It appears retainers have absolutely no interest in democracy, and are in fact appalled and horrified by it. Such a shame......

Les Bean
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Les Bean » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:06 pm
Jim B wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:20 pm
And? Many of us did and to realise that there will be problems. Still it gives Remainers something to do, posting these articles.
Master of the understatement heh!! Alan?

I read two really good quotes the other day about democracy
"When politicians lie, democracy dies"
And
"Democracy is about more than just a vote".

It appears Leavers are quite happy to see our country and people irrevocably damaged just to get their own way; sad.
Please don't suggest project fear, it's already happening.

Jim
I'm a master of many things Jim, but unlike many on here I am no good at constantly whingeing about how bad they see things. Remainers are only happy when they see something negative to post, hence I rarely respond. Lloyd, the master of acting like an old woman seems to have absolutely nothing better to do. I guess he deserves my pity. It appears retainers have absolutely no interest in democracy, and are in fact appalled and horrified by it. Such a shame......
Repeat
IMG_20190816_085536.jpg
IMG_20190816_085536.jpg (89.3 KiB) Viewed 352 times

Jimgym
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgym » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:12 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:57 pm
Latest polls say that 70% of people are against a hard-Brexit - democracy anyone?

Also, HAD the referendum been legal, rather than advisory, it would have been declared void due to illegalities. Since it was only advisory, the courts couldn't Take those steps. May treated it as legal, as does Boris.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... and-no-cor

Jimgym
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgym » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Les Bean wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:06 pm
Jim B wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:59 pm


Master of the understatement heh!! Alan?

I read two really good quotes the other day about democracy
"When politicians lie, democracy dies"
And
"Democracy is about more than just a vote".

It appears Leavers are quite happy to see our country and people irrevocably damaged just to get their own way; sad.
Please don't suggest project fear, it's already happening.

Jim
I'm a master of many things Jim, but unlike many on here I am no good at constantly whingeing about how bad they see things. Remainers are only happy when they see something negative to post, hence I rarely respond. Lloyd, the master of acting like an old woman seems to have absolutely nothing better to do. I guess he deserves my pity. It appears retainers have absolutely no interest in democracy, and are in fact appalled and horrified by it. Such a shame......
RepeatIMG_20190816_085536.jpg
Oh please! Can you actually come up with a coherent argument rather than merely copying and pasting soundbites?

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgward » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:44 pm

Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:12 pm
Jimgward wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:57 pm
Latest polls say that 70% of people are against a hard-Brexit - democracy anyone?

Also, HAD the referendum been legal, rather than advisory, it would have been declared void due to illegalities. Since it was only advisory, the courts couldn't Take those steps. May treated it as legal, as does Boris.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... and-no-cor
That's the winner of the most-stupid polls contest! Corbyn isn't even in the discussion by people. Most labour voters don't want him, so bringing him into an argument on leave, is simply subterfuge to paper over cracks.

Jimgym
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgym » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:57 pm
Latest polls say that 70% of people are against a hard-Brexit - democracy anyone?

Also, HAD the referendum been legal, rather than advisory, it would have been declared void due to illegalities. Since it was only advisory, the courts couldn't Take those steps. May treated it as legal, as does Boris.
You're using option polls to bolster your stance now. Well here's a fact for you. Opinion polls predicted a Remain victory and we all know how that went!

Les Bean
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Les Bean » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:13 pm
Les Bean wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:06 pm


I'm a master of many things Jim, but unlike many on here I am no good at constantly whingeing about how bad they see things. Remainers are only happy when they see something negative to post, hence I rarely respond. Lloyd, the master of acting like an old woman seems to have absolutely nothing better to do. I guess he deserves my pity. It appears retainers have absolutely no interest in democracy, and are in fact appalled and horrified by it. Such a shame......
RepeatIMG_20190816_085536.jpg
Oh please! Can you actually come up with a coherent argument rather than merely copying and pasting soundbites?
Quotation of soundbites is not intended as any sort of argument, just indicating how we cannot believe anything that is said by the government hard line Brexiteers

Jimgym
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgym » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Les Bean wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:55 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:13 pm
Les Bean wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm


RepeatIMG_20190816_085536.jpg
Oh please! Can you actually come up with a coherent argument rather than merely copying and pasting soundbites?
Quotation of soundbites is not intended as any sort of argument, just indicating how we cannot believe anything that is said by the government hard line Brexiteers
As opposed to Party leaders who have openly stated they won’t accept the result of another referendum UNLESS it is the one they want.

Les Bean
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Les Bean » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:59 pm

Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 pm
Les Bean wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:55 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:13 pm
Oh please! Can you actually come up with a coherent argument rather than merely copying and pasting soundbites?
Quotation of soundbites is not intended as any sort of argument, just indicating how we cannot believe anything that is said by the government hard line Brexiteers
As opposed to Party leaders who have openly stated they won’t accept the result of another referendum UNLESS it is the one they want.
Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 pm
Les Bean wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:55 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:13 pm


Oh please! Can you actually come up with a coherent argument rather than merely copying and pasting soundbites?
Quotation of soundbites is not intended as any sort of argument, just indicating how we cannot believe anything that is said by the government hard line Brexiteers
As opposed to Party leaders who have openly stated they won’t accept the result of another referendum UNLESS it is the one they want.
And I'm sure they would stick by that, not renege on a promise not to go ahead with Brexit without a deal

Jimgym
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: So...will the Remainers predictions come true?

Post by Jimgym » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Them sticking by such an anti democratic stance really isn’t something to boast about. In fact I’d say it’s the exact opposite.

Post Reply