Can things get worse?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Firefly

Re: Can things get worse?

Post by Firefly » Tue May 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Cameron is to blame for the mess we're in as I see it. He should have had the outline of a policy in place to cover a 'leave' vote, but he was so sure that project fear would win, that it didn't even occur to him to do so. I understand that he has now legged it to France, and good riddance.

Whatever happens now, I just hope to God that the traitorous Corbyn doesn't become Prime Minister, or else we are truly done for.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Tue May 21, 2019 7:08 pm

I honestly see noo diffence to the screw-up Corbyn would make, to the screw-up Johnson would make - in fact, only the rich would benefit under Johnson....

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Tue May 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Tony Blair was interviewed on LBC yesterday and actually said something sensible, that a second vote should be for No-Deal Brexit or for Remain. Whatever was voted for should now pass. He quoted NI and RoI referendums, where 2 referenda (referendii?) were held for the outcome, now that people knew the implications that they didn't in 2016.

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Thu May 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Well one of the lead Brexit Supporters, Liam Fox has finally admitted what Remain has been saying all along about creating new trade deals; the UK will be worse off.

Jim

https://www.businessinsider.com/says-li ... ief-2019-3

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Fri May 24, 2019 2:11 am

Yup, and Liam Fox was the man charged with negotiating deals with supposed new trading partners around the World, so of all people he should know how negotiations are going. Or not. This paragraph in the article sums it up:

"By negotiating as a country of 65 million, we start in a significantly less attractive position than when we are a part of a bloc of around 500 million," Donnelly told BI.

As Jim reminds, some of us have been pointing this out the for past two years. Cast your mind back to all those juicy trade deals which Brexiteers assured us would materialise from Australia, New Zealand, India, Canada and Trumpland, lol

As the crows come home to roost, we can but hope that the less enlightened finally wake up to the implications of the Brexit they voted for.

WHL

Post by WHL » Fri May 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:21 pm
Tony Blair was interviewed on LBC yesterday and actually said something sensible, that a second vote should be for No-Deal Brexit or for Remain. Whatever was voted for should now pass. He quoted NI and RoI referendums, where 2 referenda (referendii?) were held for the outcome, now that people knew the implications that they didn't in 2016.

Tony Blair the War Criminal, why would any right thinking person, believe a word he says?

lionelcyprus

Post by lionelcyprus » Fri May 24, 2019 3:31 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:11 am

As the crows come home to roost, we can but hope that the less enlightened finally wake up to the implications of the Brexit they voted for.
It is funny reading some of the comments from two or three years' ago.
2017 Securing a free trade deal with the European Union should be “one of the easiest in human history”, according to Cabinet minister Liam Fox
2016 Then - backbencher - David Davis -
“Within minutes of a vote for Brexit the CEO’s of Mercedes, BMW, VW and Audi will be knocking down Chancellor Merkel’s door demanding that there be no barriers to German access to the British market.” Twitter 04 Feb 16
Gerald Batten - UKIP - said it could be sorted out in an afternoon. And so on.

Sadly HiC, I think it is all too late. Companies have left the UK in droves. Holland and Germany in particular have reaped the benefits, assisting companies in Britain in their relocation.
Even if people are finally realising the "implications" of Brexit, the damage has been done.
The value of the pound over the past 4 years confirms this. 1.27 to a dollar? The pound is a joke.
Dominus illuminatio mea

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sat May 25, 2019 1:51 am

And 1.1288 against the Euro as I write this. A commentator said earlier that if the UK does eventally leave the EU without a deal, parity with the Euro could be on the cards.

Bizarrely, the UK's ray of light is that never mind what Boris says in public, he knows full well the catastrophic damage which will arise from a No Deal Brexit. Therefore, to cast blame away from himself (because that's what politicians do), he might well offer a second referendum.

As Robert Peston said on News at Ten last night: "Bumpy times ahead".

STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC » Mon May 27, 2019 9:44 am

Zippy and Bungle could do better job than Boris. Farage has always been a smarm and a leach

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue May 28, 2019 2:37 am

STELIOSBWFC wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:44 am
Zippy and Bungle could do better job than Boris. Farage has always been a smarm and a leach

Give 'em credit though, they were the ones who managed to convince half the voting population that Brexit would be the best thing since sliced bread :lol:

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:04 am

As Leavers tell us, they ALL knew what they voted for; it's good to know they were aware that the NHS would be a negotiating chip to obtain a a trade deal with the USA. I hope they can all afford the insurance payments.
I'm aware the article is from the guardian but it is available from many other media outlets.

Jim

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:08 am

The us ambassador stated very clearly on Andrew Marr yesterday, that ALL items would be on the trade deal. No restrictions. He specifically mentioned the NHS. Don’t be fooled by any form of soft-soap of this. If we do any deal with the US we will be overwhelmed by them. Their pharma companies are champing at the bit for higher costs of drugs their insurance companies are desperate to wrap us all up in premiums.

Wonder why Aaron Banks, an insurance company owner, backs Farage, who clearly states he wants insurance-based NHS?

“Taking back control”? We never lost it - but are about to.... it is getting worse than we even feared...

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:46 pm

Jim
I don't know if you recall the screams and complaints of interference by leavers prior to the referendum when President Obama suggested the UK would be at the back of the queue with regards to trade negotiations. Nearly 3 years on Pesident Trump is interfering in Brexit, favouring certain candidates and deriding others in the election of the Tory party leader and not a dicky bird from those who were complaing bitterly about interfence in our sovereignty; talk about double standards.

Jim

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:20 am

I have long suspected, but heard it confirmed by a commentator on TV tonight, that the reason Trump wants to drive a wedge between the UK and EU is because just when the UK thought all was lost on the deals front, it will enable the USA to step in as saviour...and offer the UK a trade deal it will be desperate to crow about. Let's not forget that the UK has so far signed up just 8 deals with largely nondescript third world trading entities - against the 'more than 100' trade deals it wanted to have in place by now.

But there won't be any element of negotiation on any trade deal with the USA; the UK will have to accept the whole package, lock stock and barrel - with no cherry-picking. This will include the absolute requirement for the UK to accept, unhindered, meat, poultry and crop exports from the USA. Not so bad you might think; except that, last night I watched the Ch4 "Dispatches" documentary on chlorine-washed chicken, which is the defacto method of processing chicken in the USA.

Like most of us I knew that chlorine-washed chicken was not a good thing...and has been banned in the EU for 20 years, but I was absolutely shocked by what the programme revealed about what goes on in chicken processing plants in the USA. There was lots of inside-the-factory footage and it was TERRIFYING! If you have the opportunity to watch on catch-up, please do. Not only might this disgusting product be made available - indeed insisted upon - in the UK by virtue of a Trump deal, but US poultry could be imported into the UK at 20% lower cost than home-produced poultry, currently grown and processed to a much higher standard.

There are some really sinister forces at work in the Brexit process...and EU-despisers really have no idea what may be just around the corner if Trump has his way in manipulating the UK into the corner where he wants it to be. Trump does not take prisoners, he is the ultimate deal-maker...and everything is all about advantage Trump and the US conglomerates.

Why is Trump so enamoured of Johnstone and Farage? You don't have to be a genius to figure out why. But the not-so-sharp knives in the drawer - alas they are still amongst us - will struggle to understand...and continue to view the EU as the enemy.

Firefly

Post by Firefly » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:31 am

I for one think that Trump should keep his nose out of our politics, but why was it was ok when it was Obama interfering ? Why didn't the remainers complain about that ?

As for chlorine washed food, I understand that it has been done here for years, especially to fish, just because it wasn't advertised, doesn't mean to say that it didn't and doesn't happen.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:45 am

Jackie, if only it was only about chlorinated chicken. Obama simply lobbied for the U.K. to remain in the EU. I.e. no change of state. Trump is lobbying for specific people to run the country and for a no-deal brexit. He would like nothing more than to control the U.K. the first president of the U.K. I am being slightly facetious, but the US would have control over everything they wanted to sell us and we would be forced to allow it to undercut any product we had, including delivery of services. I.e. nhs, financial and more. This is worse than any of us ever imagined.

Sovereign? Enjoy it while we still have it as we always had. Under the US, it would be ceded to Uncle Sam.

Firefly

Post by Firefly » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Jim

Do you honestly think that the UK would just roll over and allow Trump to take charge ? I think not. Of course he would like to control the UK, as indeed the EU currently do, that's the point of Brexit, the UK in control.

Obama lied, he said that in the event of Brexit, the UK would be last in the queue as far as the USA was concerned. Cameron lied, they all lie to make their own tale good, but I still say that no remainer complained about Obama's interference.

Jackie

Devil

Post by Devil » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:45 am
Jackie, if only it was only about chlorinated chicken.
There is nothing wrong with using sodium hypochlorite solutions for sterilising food. The problem with US chicken is that it is often badly contaminated with faecal matter because of primitive slaughtering methods. IF the chickens were clean BEFORE the hypochlorite, there would be no problem; unfortunately, that is often not the case and you may buy your 'sterilised' chicken, encrusted with visible dollops of sh1t. The US does not want to respect EU cleanliness standards but they want to sell contaminated chicken to the UK post-Brexit.

Firefly

Post by Firefly » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:32 pm

Then it's up to us, once the facts are known, to refuse to accept it.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Trump assures us the NHS is on the table of a trade deal