UK Supreme Court Decision Today (24/01)

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
geoffreys

UK Supreme Court Decision Today (24/01)

Post by geoffreys »

They will announce whether Mrs May has to obtain Parliamentary approval in order to trigger Article 50, or whether the
Royal Perogative applies and she can do so off her own bat in order to follow the wishes of the British People as decided
in the referendum.
My money is on the latter - I hope I am right as otherwise there are those in the House of Lords who will try and delay that
decision or put it off altogether.
11.30 am Cyprus time folks, keep your eyes on SKY News!
Geoff.
geoffreys

Re: UK Supreme Court Decision Today (24/01)

Post by geoffreys »

Austin7 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:35 am
geoffreys wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:01 am11.30 am Cyprus time folks, keep your eyes on SKY News!
Geoff.
Since you live in both is that Southern Cyprus time or Northern Cyprus time :?: ;)
Nice one! South Cyprus time.
Geoff.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I must be sad then because I will be watching it!!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

:lol: So will we :lol:
Having been through several civil court cases, both OH and I find the machinations of the law extremely interesting. A lot of cases are won or lost on technicalities (was proper procedure followed), rather than on whether the objected-to decision was correct or not.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We shall be glued to the telly as well.
All things are possible
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

It's all over: Theresa defeated again
angieb

Post by angieb »

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I wouldn't say it is all over. It just means that it has to be done properly. Despite voting for remain myself, I would be very surprised if Parliament blocked it now.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

This I found interesting: Govt does not have to ask Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland

Relations with the EU are a matter for the UK Government, says Lord Neuberger.

The decision unanimous - good news for the Government very big blow for Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:00 pm This I found interesting: Govt does not have to ask Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland

The decision unanimous - good news for the Government very big blow for Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP.
Which puts trouble maker Sturgeon in her place!
Hopefully the Govt will now get on with putting a one-liner bill to trigger Article 50 before Parliament ASAP.
Personally I am sorry the Govt lost this case, but the rule of law must be respected as determined by the Supreme Court.
Geoff.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Pretty much as expected, and a few problems put to rest.

Still a slight whiff of rat in the air- the upcoming elections might embolden anti Brexit MP's and Lords if Labour wins either or both, but that doesn't look very likely at the moment.

Stoke was the biggest Brexit area in Britain and the promised post vote economic Armageddon hasn't happened, so anyone campaigning to stay in the EU is on a hiding to nothing there

Copeland is looking more like a test of Corbyn's "leadership" than anything else, so it looks like the only chance they have there is no chance
outasite

Post by outasite »

geoffreys wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:36 pm
Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:00 pm This I found interesting: Govt does not have to ask Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland

Hopefully the Govt will now get on with putting a one-liner bill to trigger Article 50 before Parliament ASAP.
Personally I am sorry the Govt lost this case, but the rule of law must be respected as determined by the Supreme Court.
Geoff.
Let's not forget that the woman has 28 MPs in the UK parliament, and as she wants to stay in no doubt they will be instructed to put as much in the way of the Exit as they can.
Does anyone think the decision being in the hands of a bunch of corrupt, lying,thieving, out for no-one but themselves Parliament and Lords, will be the one that 17.4 million people want.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

outasite wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:52 pm
geoffreys wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Geoff.
Let's not forget that the woman has 28 MPs in the UK parliament, and as she wants to stay in no doubt they will be instructed to put as much in the way of the Exit as they can.
Does anyone think the decision being in the hands of a bunch of corrupt, lying,thieving, out for no-one but themselves Parliament and Lords, will be the one that 17.4 million people want.
Given that taking back democracy was one of the main selling points of Brexit, I would say Yes.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

It just goes to show though that all cases of Law are open to interpretation as the Supreme Court decision was 8 - 3. I have to say I am surprised that the names of the Judges who voted yay or nay have been published.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

SNP actually have 56 MP's, but they are almost all at Labour's expense-so the political balance isn't really all that different.

The Government has a clear majority, it is highly unlikely it will be rejected, there will be a 3 line whip on it, and the minimal wording means there is no room for amendments by the Lords to send it back.

But yes, it is ridiculous that the finest legal minds in the country cannot agree on the law- either 8 of them or 3 of them don't know their stuff :lol:
Last edited by Conoflex on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Regards the SNP they don't seem to respect democracy, wanting to overturn the vote by Scottish voters in their
referendum NOT to leave the UK!
The Supreme Court seems to have a similar view when it comes to exiting the EU saying it is a purely UK decision, and no reference back to the devolved Parliaments is required..
Geoff.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

It may well be the best result at the end of the day...

A win for the government would have inevitably resulted in another court case and another and another... All at vast expense to the taxpayer.

This way the gov can put different plans in place - including a general election if necessary. The Tories are 16 points ahead in the latest ICM poll.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

cyprusgrump wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:10 pm It may well be the best result at the end of the day...

A win for the government would have inevitably resulted in another court case and another and another... All at vast expense to the taxpayer.

This way the gov can put different plans in place - including a general election if necessary. The Tories are 16 points ahead in the latest ICM poll.
The House of Lords may well force a General Election if they "ping pong" the bill to trigger Article 50.
So lets have one, and sort all this out once and for all.
Geoff.
UKIP Member.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:25 pm A motion will be tabled, it will be voted on, Article 50 will be triggered by the end of March, we do not need another general election, it will only detract from the Main Effort of an orderly departure from the EU.
The motion will be tabled and I have no doubts it will pass the House of Commons.
Trouble is the House of Lords (who are not elected and where Lab + Lib Dums are a majority) might bounce it back for
changes, and so it goes on; so called "Ping-Pong". This COULD/Might cause the Govt to call a snap General Election,
especially if they looked like winning it! With a 16 point lead they MIGHT just do that. It would give them a bigger working
majority in the house, as well as sorting out Brexit remoaners.
Geoff.
Royal

Post by Royal »

geoffreys wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:55 pm
The motion will be tabled and I have no doubts it will pass the House of Commons.
Trouble is the House of Lords (who are not elected and where Lab + Lib Dums are a majority) might bounce it back for
changes, and so it goes on; so called "Ping-Pong". This COULD/Might cause the Govt to call a snap General Election,
especially if they looked like winning it! With a 16 point lead they MIGHT just do that. It would give them a bigger working
majority in the house, as well as sorting out Brexit Remainers.
Geoff.
The Prime Misnister no longer has the power to call a General Election at will. This power was the PM exercising the Royal Prerogative. However, such power was transferred to the House of Commons under the terms of the The Fixed Term Parliaments Act 2011. This effectively means that an early General Election can only be called if two thirds of the Members of the House of Commons vote in favour of a motion for an early General Election (as worded in section 2(2) of the Act) or after a successful motion in the Commons in stating they had 'No Confidence' in the Prime Minister. Neither is likely to happen in the next few months.