Teresa May Speach

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Wallace

Teresa May Speach

Post by Wallace »

Surprised this has not been mentioned today, as a long term expat, I am concerned as to the ramifications for people like me..
How will it affect our pensions, health care etc.
I am not supporting remain or brexit, just thinking about how it will affect others in a similar position. May is certainly one gutsy lady!
Jersey

Re: Teresa May Speach

Post by Jersey »

Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Been mentioned in the political section

The speech was exactly what was required by means of outlining what Britain wants from an exit and what is is willing to concede to facilitate that exit on the best possible terms

She had already stated she wanted to take people's lives off the negotiating table before triggering Article 50 by guaranteeing the rights of all those citizens abroad and is to be commended for that (although the EU declined to take up that offer at the time) Mass deportations are the stuff of African dictators, not modern Europeans

She does have a very difficult job- many MP's don't support her, the House of Lords don't support her, many in the civil service don't support her and a lot of the UK population don't support her. However the majority of the population do support her and that is what matters in a democracy (I am sure she can fall back on that majority if the going gets a bit tough)

Britain is leaving the EU- I understand we might have to pay something into the EU budget to access the EU run single market and I accept that we might have to promise not to significantly deviate from taxation rates that undermine the EU's norms, but there will be no ECJ rulings, no more integration and no freedom of movement- although there is no reason why people cannot move freely visa free.

Well done Theresa May- even when you sided with remain I knew you were not convinced and I always thought you had the making of a being a representative leader in you. Don't let us down now- let the EU and their political leaders sweat on it a bit and see how secure they are feeling about losing their biggest market :D
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Moved to the politics forum. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
keving

Post by keving »

Pass the sick bag
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Why has this been moved, the other posts do not answer my concerns? Other posters may not look at the politics forum.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The political forum is here to discuss political matters. Posters interested in politics will look here.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

keving wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:09 pmPass the sick bag
God I thought Clegg was a bitter remoaner- you take the biscuit
keving

Post by keving »

Wallace wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:19 pm Why has this been moved, the other posts do not answer my concerns? Other posters may not look at the politics forum.
Wallace, why dont you post your comments on the other Paphos forum where day to day stuff, surprisingly, includes UK politics.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Thanks Keving.
I do like this forum. However I am unhappy about the post being moved,
.The ramifications of a hard brexit affect us all and goes beyond simple politics, I would like to hear others views.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I didn't move the thread as a punishment or anything. It is a perfectly reasonable topic for a thread. Most people navigate the forum by looking at new comments, so it isn't as if people won't know the topic exists.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Thanks Dominic
I always start with general discussion area, and missed the politics section.
The questions I asked were not mentioned there.
I feel others may also have missed the debate.
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

Many of us lived here before Cyprus joined the EU...so although it is the UK leaving ..I think we will be ok .
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

With regards to your actual question, before worrying about how it will affect me, I find it easier to work out what I can do about it. If the answer is nothing, then I have learnt to just not let it worry me.

We moved here during the Brexit vote last year. I almost bet £10K on Brexit on the evening of June 23rd, as a hedge against a sterling fall. I chose not to. That bet would have made me nearly £150K which would have more than offset (by a considerable margin) the money we lost when sterling tanked on the 24th.

Does it bother me now that I didn't? Not a bit. Why? Because I can do absolutely nothing about it. I can do absolutely nothing about the exchange rate either, or how Brexit will affect my life. I will just have to accept what life throws at me. I prefer to count my blessings. I have a lovely house in Cyprus, with my lovely wife and daughter. In a few months time I will be able to swim in the pool in the back garden again. It is too cold now though. I can worry about the pool leaking, as I can fix that. I cannot fix Brexit, if indeed, it is broken.
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:46 pm With regards to your actual question, before worrying about how it will affect me, I find it easier to work out what I can do about it. If the answer is nothing, then I have learnt to just not let it worry me.

We moved here during the Brexit vote last year. I almost bet £10K on Brexit on the evening of June 23rd, as a hedge against a sterling fall. I chose not to. That bet would have made me nearly £150K which would have more than offset (by a considerable margin) the money we lost when sterling tanked on the 24th.

Does it bother me now that I didn't? Not a bit. Why? Because I can do absolutely nothing about it. I can do absolutely nothing about the exchange rate either, or how Brexit will affect my life. I will just have to accept what life throws at me. I prefer to count my blessings. I have a lovely house in Cyprus, with my lovely wife and daughter. In a few months time I will be able to swim in the pool in the back garden again. It is too cold now though. I can worry about the pool leaking, as I can fix that. I cannot fix Brexit, if indeed, it is broken.
Could not agree more ..
keving

Post by keving »

Wallace wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:29 pm Thanks Keving.
I do like this forum. However I am unhappy about the post being moved,
.The ramifications of a hard brexit affect us all and goes beyond simple politics, I would like to hear others views.
Wallace, I understand.

One thing that is not being debated by the "coffin dodgers" who voted us out of the EU is who is going to be paying the tax and NI in the future to pay for their health care as they live (very expensively to 90/100)?

People are living longer not just because they are healthier but because society, through tax and NI, keeps them alive.

The proportion of people over age 65 is increasingly exponentially with a declining percentage of "workers" from whom to tax to support their NHS health care.

So how do we increase the proportion of workers and tax payers in the economy so that we can support the elderly.

Whisper this very quietly to the "coffin dodgers" who voted us out of the EU ... immigration. Bit of a conundrum that one.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

For those of us who have retired, there is little we can do, due to fixed incomes, changes to things like healthcare etc, could force some of us to leave the Island we love and return to the UK, so it goes far beyond politics. I do not understand why the pound dropped on a Speach that was widely expected, and then grew after the Speach???
Way beyond politics and verging on manipulation and profiteering.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Thanks June!
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Agree Keving, and thank you
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

"We moved here during the Brexit vote last year. I almost bet £10K on Brexit on the evening of June 23rd, as a hedge against a sterling fall. I chose not to. That bet would have made me nearly £150K which would have more than offset (by a considerable margin) the money we lost when sterling tanked on the 24th."

That's interesting- the odds for Brexit on June 23rd were 3 to 1- maybe keving will have to revise his 2017 personal chuckle record