A scathing article on the EU

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym

A scathing article on the EU

Post by Jimgym »

The author certainly doesn't hold back on his views of the EU.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 ... -numbered/

More interesting than when history repeats itself are the trends that do not. Consider the lot of two particular struggling empires. Rome’s collapse was preceded by intellectual degradation. Russia’s, on the contrary, saw it reach one of her intellectual peaks just before the tragedies of her fall. Remember the likes of Yesenin, “Vekhi“, Rachmaninoff, and Malevich. Given the accompanying cultural masterpiece of the European Union is the Eurovision Song Contest, we might well ask whether the EU (or rather, the European Commission) will collapse in gradual fits or in a single blast.

Intellectually, politically, economically and legally, the process will be challenging. The natural and democratic tendency of EU member states to loosen their EU ties is resisted by its professional nomenclature – and particularly the staff of the European Commission, whose livelihoods are solely dependent upon its existence. Thus even referenda on “exits“ might be effectively out of the question: the Commission has more than enough inertial power to prevent civic movements manifesting themselves or making themselves heard.

Like other declining empires, the EU finds itself suppressing internal opposition. What is notable is the combination of the nature of the dissent, and the environment in which it operates. The EU is driven to relabel its democracy to justify its rearguard fight.

All progressive changes in the EU - whether Brexit, the two emergences of the True Finns, the development of various “pirate-movements“, the strengthening of sovereign identity in Hungary, the Czech Republic and so forth - have taken place in a relatively undramatic ways and through the routine course of civic democracy. So there is sufficient evidence to suggest that the further decay will continue the same way.

The raison d’être of the EU made sense some half-a-century ago, but does not exist anymore. Keeping the peace on the Continent failed in Ukraine, Georgia, the Balkans, Trans-Caucasus; and massive terrorism is a war de facto. With the strictly egoistic interests of individual countries in play, accompanied by a certain set of historical accidents, the Commission is no longer fit for purpose.

Take for starters the existence of the Single Currency. Sitting outside the definition of economist Robert Mundell’s “optimum area", it makes the fragile status of the broad European economy, and specifically its uncompetitiveness, worse. The discriminatory application of Maastricht criteria serves the minority of the EU, and contributes towards “unfair business practices“ (after all: many EU members’ statistical authorities simply lie).

Meanwhile the system itself discriminates against corrective free speech. Political correctness, and the EU generically labelling critical democratic forces as “extremist“, “far Right“ (or “far Left“), both lead to self-alienation through their nomenclature. Ministers who meanwhile stand up for sovereign rights and democratic concerns against the centre are subject to abuse and attack.

Finally, the ideological constraints on the use of police forces (a wariness to act against truly extremist circles at the risk of being labelled “racist,“ or the refusal to prosecute illegal economic migrants as simply illegals) has become an additional risk element.

African migrants gather on a hill after crossing a border fence between Morocco and Spain's north African enclave of Ceuta October 31, 2016
African migrants gather on a hill after crossing a border fence between Morocco and Spain's north African enclave of Ceuta CREDIT: STRINGER
All these intellectual and ideological factors, set against the new social media foundations underpinning civic society, bring out the lack of charismatic leaders in this phase of change. The EU represents a mentality of mediocracy that has fed institutional idleness.

As there are no leaders in the EU there are no followers either. EU leaders do not lead but merely participate. And so it remains to us - the ordinary people - to wait and watch how a once-challenging idea will fade away. There is no need for us bystanders to be excited, but just to live our normal non-European daily lives.

Against this intellectual void comes the prospect of online cooperation. The socio-political development of Europe will be determined via new media by self-created and self-established civic movements. The future, then, does not belong to the political parties but to the chat-rooms.

The task is not to create and lead this development - it happens by itself! - but to participate and promote the libertarian values within.

Brexit is then not a special case, but just an event in the EU’s decline. We previously saw the "Arab Spring", and one day we will look back at the "Autumn of Europe".

Prof Igor Gräzin is an Estonian MP, law professor and commentator who was also a Member of the last Supreme Soviet of the USSR
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: A scathing article on the EU

Post by Devil »

also a Member of the last Supreme Soviet of the USSR
That says all about this havering.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Many words but in the end says nothing worthy of note.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Yawn
josef k

Post by josef k »

What a load of rubbish. No facts at all.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

They're his views, agree or not but as so many post opinion pieces on here I thought I'd balance it a little.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Lofos-5 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:22 amYawn
Thank you.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:13 pm
Lofos-5 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:22 amYawn
Thank you.
Well it was very late...
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jimgym

The remoaners won't like it, they will revel in anything pro EU, e.g. what a German reporter thinks of Brexit, but don't dare criticise their precious EU. One would never think that most are British, and most had Fathers and/or Grandfathers who fought to keep us free of Europe ! I wonder what they would say ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Actually my father didn't fight to keep "us" free of Europe. He fought to liberate Europe from an extreme right wing ideology based on intolerance.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Josef K

I can see your point, and you my well be right. But had Hitler beaten us, we would have been ruled by Germany long before now. As I see it, whilst the remoaners wish to stay under EU law, where mainly Germany and France hold sway, then their forefathers need not have died for their freedom.

My Mother, who worked in London during the second world war, and lived through the blitz, wasn't too impressed by the EU.

That's my view.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:08 pm Josef K

I can see your point, and you my well be right. But had Hitler beaten us, we would have been ruled by Germany long before now. As I see it, whilst the remoaners wish to stay under EU law, where mainly Germany and France hold sway, then their forefathers need not have died for their freedom.

My Mother, who worked in London during the second world war, and lived through the blitz, wasn't too impressed by the EU.

That's my view.

Jackie
Tosh. People died fighting Nazism and fascist principles. Freedom was maintained and was never threatened in the EU, in fact the opposite.

By all means post pro-brexit or anti-remain news, but dont twist anything like this, for your own means, especially when its wrong.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

How have I twisted anything ? You say that freedom was never threatened, I think it was. Why else would the UK be prepared for Hitler's invasion ?

You are entitled to your view, as am I, like it or not. I do not post "news", that's down to the individual to learn for themselves, not from me.

Jackie
josef k

Post by josef k »

That's my view.

Jackie
You seem to be saying that the UK being under Nazi rule is the same as the UK being in the EU. I can't believe anyone would support that view as there is no comparison at all. The EU has been a major contributor to peace in Europe. The idea that it is some kind of German empire is risible.

As to your mother, perhaps you can explain the linkage between her living through the blitz and her thoughts on the EU. Frankly, I can't see one.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

josef k wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:01 pm

That's my view.

Jackie
You seem to be saying that the UK being under Nazi rule is the same as the UK being in the EU. I can't believe anyone would support that view as there is no comparison at all. The EU has been a major contributor to peace in Europe. The idea that it is some kind of German empire is risible.

As to your mother, perhaps you can explain the linkage between her living through the blitz and her thoughts on the EU. Frankly, I can't see one.
My thoughts as well.... there seems to be implied links between WW2 and EU.....
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Read into it what you will. You will both try to bully me into a retraction, I will not, and quite frankly, I care not.

Jackie
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I hardly think “bully” is appropriate and I’m sure I can speak for myself in not caring whether you retract or reinforce your view.... just as my view is only a view.....