The difference between Corbyn and May

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Poppy

The difference between Corbyn and May

Post by Poppy »

Theresa May was on holiday but broke her holiday to attend the 100th anniversary of Passchendael commemorating all those who lost their lives in the First World War battle. Prince Charles, Prince William and Kate also attended but Jetemy Corbyn declined an official invitation to attend.
I know who I would rather have running the Country. Some say she shows no feelings. I tend to disagree but whatever at least she knows where her duty lies.
kingfisher

Re: The difference between Corbyn and May

Post by kingfisher »

Corbyn famously said he was “going nowhere”. Unless it is something really important like sucking up to Barnier I expect he will do just that.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Corbyn is a man of principles and one of them is his lifelong pacifism. As such, I consider it would have been very inappropriate for his attending the ceremony commemorating exactly what he is against. You have to admire him for sticking to his principles, rather than take the easy way out and attend exactly what he doesn't believe in.

OTOH, May has few apparent principles, unless they are politically beneficial, so she attended!
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Exactement!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Royal

Post by Royal »

Devil wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:31 pm Corbyn is a man of principles and one of them is his lifelong pacifism. As such, I consider it would have been very inappropriate for his attending the ceremony commemorating exactly what he is against. You have to admire him for sticking to his principles, rather than take the easy way out and attend exactly what he doesn't believe in.
If that was true, then why does he attend Remembrance Sunday and lay a wreath at the Cenotaph?
Royal

Post by Royal »

Agreed.

He would do well to remember the new Labour Party motto:

FOR THE MANY, NOT THE FEW
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

No surprises there then, par for the Corbyn course, ignorant man.

Devil thinks he's a pacifist, try checking out the people he calls 'friends' on film, Hezbollah and Hamas are very strange bed fellows for a pacifist. If he truly was, he would certainly be no fit person to rule a country with the best armed forces in the world. It would be like putting a pig in charge of Buckingham Palace.
Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

I can't wait for the next general election. So many on here will implode when Corbyn romps to victory.
Romp he will, better get used to it. :lol:

Not that i'll be voting as it doesn't make a ha'p'orth of difference who's supposedly in charge.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Sorry Devil but you are talking rubbish. You don't have to agree with war to honour the dead and that is what the ceremony was for. He has no principles at all and some of those who voted for him are now beginning to see that. What about all the promises to the students to try to win the election and then he has the gall to say he did not realuse how big the debt was!! You surely cannot defend him!
Royal

Post by Royal »

panoscouse wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:02 pm I can't wait for the next general election. So many on here will implode when Corbyn romps to victory.

Not that i'll be voting as it doesn't make a ha'p'orth of difference who's supposedly in charge.
I think he would be a disaster as PM, but if he was elected, then that would be the democratic will of the country in action.

However, an appropriate quote comes to mind with regards to Corbyn...

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time". (Abraham Lincoln)
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

Royal wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:58 pm
panoscouse wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:02 pm I can't wait for the next general election. So many on here will implode when Corbyn romps to victory.

I think he would be a disaster as PM, but if he was elected, then that would be the democratic will of the country in action.

However, an appropriate quote comes to mind with regards to Corbyn...

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time". (Abraham Lincoln)
Well he'd certainly be in good company then as I don't think we've ever had a PM that didn't end up a disaster.

I like your quote though, "you cannot fool all the people all the time". Whoever you are.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

But surely the point is that you never have to fool ALL of the people ALL of the time. A majority is quite sufficient.
Pete G

Post by Pete G »

Royal wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:42 pm
Devil wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:31 pm Corbyn is a man of principles and one of them is his lifelong pacifism. As such, I consider it would have been very inappropriate for his attending the ceremony commemorating exactly what he is against. You have to admire him for sticking to his principles, rather than take the easy way out and attend exactly what he doesn't believe in.
If that was true, then why does he attend Remembrance Sunday and lay a wreath at the Cenotaph?
Or indeed why had he previously attended memorial services to eulogise and show support for the brave soldiers fighting for freedom from government oppression in Northern Ireland [i.e. the IRA] if he is such a pacifist.

Or Hamas, or Hezbollah, to name just a few of the violent psychopaths he has publically supported in his time.
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

Though I am not a fan of Jeremy Corbyn, I agree with Devil, at least he sticks to his principles, it appears he is damned if he does & damned if he doesn't attend memorial services.
We all know that you cannot have any form of peace from warring factions unless there is dialogue between ALL parties.
I have been a tad amused at the right wing press & their continued vilification of him & his association with the IRA etc.

Why has this not happened to TM & her partnership with the DUP?..., A party with 17th Century ideals, a mixture of Protestant Fundamentalism & Militant Unionism, that incited hatred & sectarianism, with firm ties to a number of Protestant Paramilitaries

Arlene Foster, the leader, a few months ago, met in South Belfast with the Paramilitary leader of the UDA, ( Jackie Mcdonald ),
Within 48hrs of the Loyalist fued murder in Bangor of Colin Horner, killed in front of his 3year old son... :shock:

It is rather hypocritical to condemn one without the other.

Since being in power, TM has made more U turns than a car in a cul-de-sac, getting into bed with a party like the DUP just to hold onto office, Strong & Stable...I don't think so
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Royal

Post by Royal »

Cogs123 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:40 am Though I am not a fan of Jeremy Corbyn, I agree with Devil, at least he sticks to his principles...
But that's my point - he doesn't, does he?

Corbyn attends Remembrance Day and lays a wreath. He has shared platforms with IRA murderers. He stood for a minutes silence in Londonderry in 1987 to honour the 8 IRA terrorists who were shot dead in Loughgall. There are lots of other examples, but I'm sure that you don't want to know.

Pacifist? Yeah, right!
josef k

Post by josef k »

None of the party leaders attended the Passchendale remembrance as it was not a political event. May attended as PM, not as Tory leader. The Queen didn't attend either, so she must be a git as well mustn't she?

You keep banging on about Corbyn not sticking to principles and sharing platforms with the IRA, as if that was automatically a bad thing without knowing the context. You might recall, during the troubles, Thatcher announcing in parliament that she wouldn't negotiate with the IRA, to cheers from her side. That same week she was negotiating directly with Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness. Not true? It was at Wiston House, Steyning, Sussex. Sticking to her principles?

Finally, the fact is the new generation of voters generally like Corbyn and despise May.
Royal

Post by Royal »

josef k wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:06 pm None of the party leaders attended the Passchendale remembrance as it was not a political event. May attended as PM, not as Tory leader. The Queen didn't attend either, so she must be a git as well mustn't she?
Of course the Passchendaele commemoration was not a political event, so I really don't understand what your point is there. No Remembrance Service is ever a political event. That's stating the obvious. However, as the OP pointed out, Theresa May interrupted a holiday to attend and pay her respects. Jeremy Corbyn was invited - but refused the invitation to remain on holiday. That was the point of the thread. It's called leadership, and Corbyn displayed a serious lack of it.

The Queen did not attend, but as so often happens, she sent a representative - in this case Prince Charles AND Prince William - the most senior royals after herself. When the Queen sends a representative, it indicates that she is there. The more senior the representative, the greater the emphasis.
josef k wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:06 pm You keep banging on about Corbyn not sticking to principles and sharing platforms with the IRA, as if that was automatically a bad thing without knowing the context…
I haven't kept on ‘banging on’ at all. Wherever did you get that impression? Certainly not from anything I said in this thread so far. Maybe you should keep the hyperbole down a little. I simply responded to Devil’s assertion that as a pacifist, Corbyn didn't attend because it would have been hypocritical. If Devil’s assumption was correct, then it was hypocritical of Corbyn to attend Remembrance Day or any other commemoration where armed conflict is being or indeed has been used. He can't have it both ways. I suspect therefore, that Devil’s assertion was not the reason Corbyn didn't attend. Only he can answer that for himself.

As far as the context of attending IRA commemorations are concerned, let's take a little look at the context. Eight terrorists were shot and killed by British soldiers at Loughgall as they were attacking the rule of law in Northern Ireland - the Royal Ulster Constabulary Barracks. Corbyn attended the commemoration ceremony 2 days later. Contrast this action against the 100th commemoration of an event where 450,000 British and Commonwealth soldiers lost their lives in defence of their country, their freedom and their way of life (which we, because of them and millions of others, currently enjoy). Everyone must make up their own mind as to which commemoration Corbyn SHOULD have attended.
josef k wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:06 pm
You might recall, during the troubles, Thatcher announcing in parliament that she wouldn't negotiate with the IRA, to cheers from her side. That same week she was negotiating directly with Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness. Not true? It was at Wiston House, Steyning, Sussex. Sticking to her principles?
It is a good principle that the British government does not negotiate with terrorists - one that I whole heartedly support. Who wants to see ISIS terrorists being invited to No 10 to discus the Middle East? This principle was effectively applied in Northern Ireland and along with the successful campaign by the UK’s Security Forces (RUC, RN, RM, Army, RAF etc), the IRA were effectively losing both militarily and more importantly (to them) politically ie the hearts and minds of the people.

The British government line is that change should be effected through the ballot box, not by insurrection. The electorate in Nationalist areas of Northern Ireland elected Gerry Adams (a known IRA terrorist) to Parliament in 1983. What was the government of the day expected to do? He had been duly elected by the ballot box as required and ostensibly spoke as a member of Sinn Fein, not as a member of the IRA.
josef k wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:06 pm Finally, the fact is the new generation of voters generally like Corbyn and despise May.
Yes, you're right.

BUT

Most of them have not experienced the squander lust of taxpayers money which always marks a Labour government - especially those which try to bribe the younger voters into voting for them. Let's also not forget that the immigration problem in the UK was ultimately down to a misplaced belief in multiculturalism which the Labour Party espoused for so long.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Royal

Good post !

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I agree - excellent post Royal and thank you . I also agree that the new generation of voters did like Corbyn but I wonder if they still do now that he is showing his true colours? Would not now assist with student debt because he did not realise the extent of the problem and saying very little about support for WASPI now and still cannot make his mind up about BREXIT!!
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I agree Hudswell. Joseph K you should be ashamed of yourself to call the queen what you called her. She my friend is 92 I believe and you expect her to attend? She is still working which I think is amazing and as Royal said she was represented by senior Royals. You have no argument and Corbyn has no ,I repeat no excuse for failing to honour our dead. Shame on him.