Brexit: Tory MP Leadsom says broadcasters should be patriotic

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Brexit: Andrea Leadsom's calls for broadcasters to be more patriotic branded 'sinister' by Tim Farron
'This isn't a George Orwell book. She needs to apologise for these comments and realise what she said was frankly stupid'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/andre ... 05916.html

The road to Wigan pier?
More like the road to North Korea. Brexit Britain.
josef k

Re: Brexit: Tory MP Leadsom says broadcasters should be patriotic

Post by josef k »

I thought broadcasters where supposed to hold politicians to account on our behalf. Apparently that idea is now unpatriotic.

Not the first stupid thing Leadsom has said, and likely not to be the last.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Well I have listened to the interview and to me what she said was fine. The Interviewer Emily whoever would not let her finish her sentence, she was at every step taking the Government to task over BREXIT and Andrea stated that it was time the Media and the entire country started to show some support basically. It was Emily who jumped down her throat and Andrea who stayed cool, calm and collected.
Yes, I do believe that journalists have a right to ask questions , that is their job, but to continually criticise every aspect of BREXIT is not helping anyone and is just fuelling the fire to assist the EU in the negotiations.

Well said Andrea!!
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thank you for reminding me of the interviewers' name however interviewing robustly and rudely are two very different things. Not just Emily but Paxman etc etc rudely interrupt all the time before the interviewee is able to complete their point. They are getting worse and it is not interesting or clever but rather shows a degree of ignorance and this refers to whoever they are interviewing whether they be Tory, Labour, etc etc.
Personally I think many of them could take a lesson from David Dimbleby who is robust but very clever too and is excellent at leading Debates.
Andrea Leadsom did very well however, kept her cool and just made Emily look silly so I really do think that she can go in the kitchen!

David Dimbleby also coped admirably with the Labour activist who infiltrated his show the another night eventually telling him to leave after numerous rowdy outbursts from him even heckling your friend Gina at one time!!
Pete G

Post by Pete G »

You are quite right, of course, an appeal to patriotism by a professional politician in an interview is more than pathetic, especially from one who sought to lead her party, and she should be better than that.

I confess a scintilla of sympathy for her, as I certainly cannot remember any Government decision where the opposition has been so openly mendacious that the press and lobby groups have been prepared to openly support the undermining of the UK position in negotiations to the point where they appear to be actively hoping for a disastrous outcome for the UK, purely on the basis that that would prove them right after all, but really she should have the political nous to understand that this is merely an extension of swathe the Europhile middle class' suicidal progression of policies regarding the EU since Major basically, and accept this as a wholly expected opposition tactic, this is as one might say [at the risk of appearing sexist] big boys rules.

I think she should instead take comfort in the sweet, sweet, irony of what the actual effect of this fifth column activity has actually been. Gina MIllers tiresome legal circus has now put HMG in a position where it would be much more difficult legally and constitutionally to withdraw the Article 50 notification, the demands that TM withdraw as she was acting without a mandate has now delayed matters to the point where a comprehensive deal will not be ready in time for the final commons vote, and the pressure to accede to the EU demand to split the negotiation has virtually ensured that when the commons votes on Article 50 there will be no information on the trade aspects, and that a NO vote in the commons will virtually ensure a dealess exit and a reversion to WTO rules

With enemies like that, one might observe, who needs friends?