Is the Press..Especially the BBC determined to Bring the Government Down?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: Is the Press..Especially the BBC determined to Bring the Government Down?

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:34 pm Where was the abuse?
"Some of the eunuchs on this site"

Name, shame and take the hit.....
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Invite the people that Demand answers today - to perhaps review their country of origin and perhaps go back where they came from - and see the response they would get back there.Its a tragic loss of life but one that too many people are trying to gain Political ground from.
I understand the grief family members may have as their loved ones are still missing and they cannot just be allowed to visit the morgue look at the charred remains for one that might their family. One of my sisters lost her Mother In Law at the Kings Cross underground fire.
Varky

Post by Varky »

bromerzz wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:31 pm Invite the people that Demand answers today - to perhaps review their country of origin and perhaps go back where they came from - and see the response they would get back there.
Unbelievable!! No civilised country would ever think of responding in this manner.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Words fail me. That probably takes the prize as the most spiteful post I have seen.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I certainly don't think that Bromerzz meant it in the way some of you have chosen to take exception to and whilst it might not be the right time to say it it is probably true that many who were not born here would not get as good a response from their country of origin as they are doing here - not spiteful I don't think but more in praise of the help that they are receiving whether it be from the Government, volunteers , Red Cross etc and when people see that our rescue services, PM, Royal family even are getting abused then that just causes ill feeling.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It was spiteful, probably racist or at least heading close to that.

What standards occur in their countries of origin, or their parents or grandparents countries of origin, is not important. In the UK, every citizen should expect standards of the very highest, from a country rightly proud of it's part in once being the seat of enlightenment, a promoter of democracy and once the largest Empire ever.

These so called standards, have even been mocked by the Sunday Mail and journalists, such as Peter Hutchins, who asked that Grenfell Tower be left as a monument to "our complacent, self-satisfied society" "Did the victims perish because of cost-cutting or a desire to make the block look prettier and so less annoying to the nearby owners of expensive homes?" The country is fundamentally run on the cheap. Cheap wages, borrowed money, skimped and half finished schemes, leaky pipes, overloaded cables .... ancient infrastructure stretched to the limit and then beyond." ".... the renewal of our grandiose and unusable Trident missilery system, which allegedly protects us from enemies we don't have in a war that ended 26 years ago. And that we think we are so great and wonderful and important we launch wars in Iraq, Libya and Syria. But we could not even protect the victims of Grenfell Tower, from horrible, needless deaths that's a child could have foreseen."
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It is true that our country is run on the cheap, everyone is out to make or save a quick buck, and it does us no favours, our troops and nurses are woefully underpaid, now that might be why recruitment of nurses from the EU is down. Cutting corners in every business, reducing staff, we have all seen it, money is spent in the wrong places and to the wrong people. If God forbid, Corbyn ever gets in, it will just get a whole lot worse, the lunatics will be well and truly running the asylum. His promises if the old magic money were made because he knew he wouldn't have to honour them, as for lies, sadly they all tell lies without exception.

Poppy was right that maybe Bromerzz didn't mean to offend, but in all honesty, I feel that everyone who can offer help has done so, we are good at that, even then for some it's not enough. When you see someone screaming at a reporter about how little we are doing for them, it does tend to irritate.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Average salaries are listed here... Some are a surprise to me, some more than I thought and some less.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/worklife ... laries-uk/

Trev..
Trev..
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

That's interesting Trev but very strange - says teachers are on 18k and train drivers on over 40k - can't be right can it?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think there are some errors... I believe most teachers, ie the average, are on more than that.
I was surprised at the nurses average being so low, and surprised at the Police average being so high.

But my working days are long gone, so it does not concern me too much..

Trev..
Trev..
smudger

Post by smudger »

These are wrong, certainly for teachers

https://www.tes.com/jobs/careers-advice ... pay-scales

Most were on way more than £18000 when I was in education 11 years ago!

Will check train drivers, but suspect the stranglehold the unions have that they may well be right or thereabouts
smudger

Post by smudger »

Royal

Post by Royal »

I gave up on the BBC as an impartial source of news some time ago.

A Cross-party group of MPs have now accused (quite rightly in my opinion) the BBC of blatant bias against Brexit.

I used to listen to the Today programme (Radio 4) every morning on the way to work and PM on the way home every day. Both were excellent in reporting current affairs even handedly. Since the Referendum, however, it appears that of the invited business news commentators, only one in six saw Brexit as positive for the UK. Now if that's not biased reporting...
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:16 am Perhaps because the BBC is reporting Brexit-related events as they happen, rather than as Brexiteers (in their dream-state) imagine them to be...and the Brexit negotiation team don't appear to have a clue
So the BBC team have a fly on the wall position during these talks and are reporting what is taking place? Or maybe the BBC sit in Cabinet meetings now when Brexit is being discussed? Clearly neither of these are the case, but hey! Why let that prevent them from reporting what they (and others) think has been said (or not, as the case may be). The BBC now report what the BBC strap line is which is simply anti Brexit. Much of what they report is not news - it's the opinions of anti-Brexit people dressed up as news.
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:16 am Last time I looked, the pound was plumbing new depths...
More hyperbole HIC? 'Plumbing new depths' should indicate that a position has been reached which had not been reached before. Maybe you should look again at your beloved graphs and charts...
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:16 am Last time I looked...inflation was going up, the economy was slowing down, the housing market was heading down...
The inflation target is 2%. It is currently at 2.9% - slightly higher than the 2.65% forecast. This is due primarily to the higher cost of air fares. However, UK inflation can be controlled by higher interest rates WHEN the Bank of England deems it appropriate. Thank goodness we have this ability as we are not in the Eurozone.

As far as your assertion that the housing market is heading down is concerned - where did you get that nugget from? The FT reports that the average UK house price in March 2017 was 4.1% higher than March 2016, although the rate of increase had slowed down. This can only be a good thing, surely? The UK is facing a housing shortage and properties need to be more affordable than they are now. I cannot understand how any first time buyer can possibly afford any property in London - except those on six figure salaries and foreign investors. Never mind, though HIC - UK property prices will not personally affect you and although they may affect your son - he voted Brexit, so he has no-one but himself to blame eh?
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:16 am How would you like the BBC to dress this up?
I don't expect the BBC to dress anything up - that's the whole point! The BBC, funded by the public, should report the news - not try to make news or change opinions. Laura Kuensberg and others are simply a disgrace to journalism by their blatantly biased reporting. The US has led the way in this type of journalism.

There are strict rules during the lead up to a General Election which are designed to keep the BBC neutral - such is their power to persuade people's views. This includes giving equal time to each side in the campaign. Such rules, sadly, do not apply at any other time and we are seeing, listening to and reading the result every day in BBC media. It's no wonder that investors are jittery when it seems that all news being reported around Brexit is bad. The 'plummeting' pound does NOT reflect its real value any more than the rate of £1=€1.42 in 2015 reflected its real value. It was over valued then and is undervalued now.

I believe in democracy. You and other Remoaners, who consider yourselves the Illuminati- a sort of intellectual elite, clearly do not. You believe that the 52% didn't really know what they were voting for; they didn't know what was best for the country and were susceptible to lies. You cannot accept that the people voted against what you perceive to be the 'right' decision and are doing all you can to reverse the democratic will of the people. Why? Because they didn't know what was best - but you do.

Your recent posts gloating and delighting in any perceived bad news surrounding Brexit are simply pathetic. You even have the temerity to constantly tell everyone 'I told you so...', 'I was right all along...', 'I said this last year..'

Not an ounce of credibility left...
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Strange how the left and the right all think the BBC is biased.......
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

As you keep reminding us then I shall keep reminding you Lloyd that if you and others like you had bothered to vote then we may not have been having this discussion and would still have been remaining in your beloved EU. You really must be kicking yourself at your stupidity!!!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:07 am
Royal wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 amYou believe that the 52% didn't really know what they were voting for; they didn't know what was best for the country and were susceptible to lies.

Fact is, they didn't.

And right now even the government doesn't know whether it wants a Hard Brexit, a Soft Brexit...or simply to stick two fingers up at the EU. If the government doesn't know what Brexit should mean, how can the man on the London omnibus possibly have known what he voted for?

Royal wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:01 amYou even have the temerity to constantly tell everyone 'I told you so...', 'I was right all along...', 'I said this last year..'

Along with other Remainers, I did tell you so, I was right...and I did say this last year :lol:

Sadly, at the time of the referendum, Brexiteers were so cock-a-whoop at having won the vote to leave the EU that they didn't for one moment consider the consequences. And when Remainers warned of the likely consequences, they were shouted down and ridiculed for their so-called 'negative' outlook.

So I shall continue to remind you of the utter stupidity of the UK's vote to leave the EU...and the consequences which arise therefrom.
Lloyd can you offer any proof at all to back up your constant assertions? Any at all? Or do you keep repeating the same tired b.s. in the hope that one day one thing you have said may actually be right? I look forward to something offered by way of proof to back up your claims. Calling something a fact doesn't automatically make it one.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jimgym

I have asked Lloyd a similar question on another thread, we shall see if he has a reply, other than come out with the same old thing !

Jackie
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

You might be waiting a while for something sensible or will King Canute change his mind? :?

Shane