This is a start I hope...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgym
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgym » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:54 pm

Jim B wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:33 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:18 pm
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the utterly and incredibly useless Sturgeon, if we are talking of those in power.
No, this is what you initially wrote about Nicola Sturgeon and I posted how her constituency voted, you only brought the overall SNP in later but again as I stated the SNP had a landslide so it refutes your claim that she's incredibly useless as far as the Scots in general are concerned.
1.2% of the vote gave the Tories the extra 80 seats, no landslide.



https://www.euronews.com/2019/12/13/how ... news-answe
I hadn't realised I would have to spell it out quite so precisely. I mentioned Sturgeon because she is First Minister. It's not only my claim, it's because of the issues in Scotland, which you appear quite happy to ignore, UNLESS it's anything to do with the Tories. Sturgeon's share of the vote was down, Johnsons was up. So now 80 seats isn't a landslide? Now that is funny!

Here is a link to the list of failures of the SNP GOVERNMENT & NICOLA STURGEON who is in overall charge.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/p ... ourdoc.pdf
Last edited by Jimgym on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimgym
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgym » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:04 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:50 pm
The voting in scotland was designed to stop any party winning an overall majority. The snp came within 1 seat of doing that. They are by far the most popular party.

As to the problems in Scotland? The Daily Mail constantly has gone on about vaccinations being behind in Scotland. They never were.

Now it’s the army coming into the ambulance service. Already, 4 English ambulance services have the army in there.

So, don’t always believe what you read. The snp has no control over centralised services and overall budgets. What’s devolved she has managed well. We still have to wear masks and that’s sensible. She has been better overall in the pandemic than Johnson. Most Scots back vaccine passports. So where are the failures Vs Westminster?
Who mentioned the Daily Mail apart from you?

1, The target for 95 per cent of A&E patients to either be seen, transferred or discharged within four hours has not been met for over two years.


2, The gap in premature mortality rates between deprived areas and affluent areas has increased to its highest point since 2008.

3, Scotland has the highest drug death rate in the EU.

4, Students from down south have a better chance of being offered a university place in Scotland than those based in Scotland.

5, Police stations are leaking and crumbling across the country.


6, The number of children in homeless households has risen by six per cent, leaving 7,252 children living in temporary accommodation.

7, The gap between the Scottish employment rate and that of the UK, which is performing better, has reached two percentage points for the first time in nearly two decades.

8, The SNP has cut council budgets by seven per cent in real terms between 2013/2014 and 2019/2020, yet there has only been a 2 per cent cut in Scottish Government funding over the same period.

9, And only yesterday it emerged the SNP is likely to fall dramatically short of its target to improve education in the country’s deprived schools.

I could continue to post yet more failures but I think you get the point.

Jimgym
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgym » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:15 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:50 pm
The voting in scotland was designed to stop any party winning an overall majority. The snp came within 1 seat of doing that. They are by far the most popular party.

As to the problems in Scotland? The Daily Mail constantly has gone on about vaccinations being behind in Scotland. They never were.

Now it’s the army coming into the ambulance service. Already, 4 English ambulance services have the army in there.

So, don’t always believe what you read. The snp has no control over centralised services and overall budgets.
Responsibility for the National Health Services in Scotland is a devolved matter and therefore rests with the Scottish Government. Legislation about the NHS is made by the Scottish Parliament. The Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing has ministerial responsibility in the Scottish Cabinet for the NHS in Scotland.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... es-crisis/

Jimgym
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgym » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:21 pm

And here is another article highlighting the failures of the SNP.https://moneyweek.com/economy/uk-econom ... t-stack-up

Jimgym
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgym » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:28 pm

Jim B wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:33 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:18 pm
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the utterly and incredibly useless Sturgeon, if we are talking of those in power.
1.2% of the vote gave the Tories the extra 80 seats, no landslide.
Having just done a google search it appears that aside from you, the world's media are calling Johnsons victory a landslide. Now, when even the Guardian calls it a landslide then I think it really must be just that. :lol:

Jim B
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:45 pm

Jimgym wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:54 pm
Jim B wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:33 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:18 pm
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the utterly and incredibly useless Sturgeon, if we are talking of those in power.
No, this is what you initially wrote about Nicola Sturgeon and I posted how her constituency voted, you only brought the overall SNP in later but again as I stated the SNP had a landslide so it refutes your claim that she's incredibly useless as far as the Scots in general are concerned.
1.2% of the vote gave the Tories the extra 80 seats, no landslide.



https://www.euronews.com/2019/12/13/how ... news-answe
I hadn't realised I would have to spell it out quite so precisely. I mentioned Sturgeon because she is First Minister. It's not only my claim, it's because of the issues in Scotland, which you appear quite happy to ignore, UNLESS it's anything to do with the Tories. Sturgeon's share of the vote was down, Johnsons was up. So now 80 seats isn't a landslide? Now that is funny!

Here is a link to the list of failures of the SNP GOVERNMENT & NICOLA STURGEON who is in overall charge.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/p ... ourdoc.pdf
You don't have to spell anything out to me, I would ask the question as to why if she's so useless why do the Scottish people keep voting for her? It is your claim or interpretation, she's "utterly and incredibly useless " which most Scots tend not to agree with you.
An extra 1.2% of the vote is not a landslide by any stretch of the imagination it's as I've said many times it's the way the system works in the UK.

Jimgym
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgym » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:59 pm

I’ve posted various links backing up my claims on her uselessness. None of which you’ve refuted. A landslide is what the worlds media called it and your constant assertion that it wasn’t is making you look silly. I guess that’s what happens when you have a weak argument.

Jim B
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:26 pm

Jimgym wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:59 pm
I’ve posted various links backing up my claims on her uselessness. None of which you’ve refuted. A landslide is what the worlds media called it and your constant assertion that it wasn’t is making you look silly. I guess that’s what happens when you have a weak argument.
It's the Scottish voters who count, not the opinion of the BBC or the Daily Mail and they appear to have faith in her so their or your opinion is of no consequence until the SNP lose their support.
Maybe if you read some of the links I posted, not all the world media agree with your interpretation. 1.2% (270,000) extra votes is not a landslide, now the consequences of the 1.2% provided the 80 seats. You want to take a step back and read what I've written rather than jumping to the defence of the Torie all the time.

Jimgym
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgym » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:37 pm

Jim B wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:26 pm
Jimgym wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:59 pm
I’ve posted various links backing up my claims on her uselessness. None of which you’ve refuted. A landslide is what the worlds media called it and your constant assertion that it wasn’t is making you look silly. I guess that’s what happens when you have a weak argument.
It's the Scottish voters who count, not the opinion of the BBC or the Daily Mail and they appear to have faith in her so their or your opinion is of no consequence until the SNP lose their support.
Maybe if you read some of the links I posted, not all the world media agree with your interpretation. 1.2% (270,000) extra votes is not a landslide, now the consequences of the 1.2% provided the 80 seats. You want to take a step back and read what I've written rather than jumping to the defence of the Torie all the time.
You have absolutely no defence of the SNP so resort to its none of my business? :lol: Weak, very, very weak!

Jim B
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:58 pm

I wrote of "No Consequence " which is totally different from what you implied I wrote but of course you interpet it the way you want as usual.
You don't appear to understand that the Scots support her contrary to what you see as her shortcomings. Maybe the Mail and the BBC don't agree with the SNP but they don't have the vote, the Scottish people do and they support the SNP.

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 3042
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgward » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:54 pm

The SNP and Sturgeon, hasn't been perfect. I cannot defend them on many aspects, such as the drug deaths. As to NHS Scotland V NHS England performances, both have, in my opinion, failed. There's little between those failures and it's incredible how oppositions highlight failures yet ignore their own.

I don't defend any political party as I believe they all have faults. The Tories are in power overall just now, with possibly the poorest Government in recent history. The SNP have performed badly in some key areas, such as Health and Education. They have done well in others. Labour under Starmer, is poor. Under Corbyn, poorer. They aren't a credible alternative to the Tories, which is quite incredible, seeing as to how poorly the tories are doing.

User avatar
Dominic
Site Admin
Posts: 12184
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Polemi
Contact:

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Dominic » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:26 pm

Jim B wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:42 pm

So you believe people should just shut up and accept the lies and corruption that is presently endemic in British politics. That people should just sit and say nothing while the country is becoming a failed state because 32% of the population voted for Brexit. The wacking majority was achieved with an additional 270,000 votes more than Theresa May received in the previous election so it can't be said it was a massive change in support of the Tories.
Blair made an eŕor by not having a vote on PR

We are "Dealing With It", we are highlighting the failures, lies, corruption and incompetence of this present government as we are highlighting the failures, corruption and loss of jobs caused by Brexit.
That's what democracy is about. Just sitting there and saying nothing is what goes on in tin pot Dictatorships.
Less than 30% of the population voted to stay in Europe, so that argument doesn't wash at all.

43.6% of the vote was the highest by any party since 1979.

And he got 270,000 more votes on a turnout 1.5% down.

Sorry, but you sound like a child throwing their toys out of the pram.

Don't get me wrong. I think they are doing a terrible job, and I hope they get ousted ASAP. We just need somebody to oust them.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jimgym
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgym » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:16 pm

Jim B wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:58 pm
I wrote of "No Consequence " which is totally different from what you implied I wrote but of course you interpet it the way you want as usual.
You don't appear to understand that the Scots support her contrary to what you see as her shortcomings. Maybe the Mail and the BBC don't agree with the SNP but they don't have the vote, the Scottish people do and they support the SNP.
I do understand but the problem is you don’t appear to actually understand what anyone else says unless it’s exactly fits your narrative. That’s not my problem, it’s yours.

Jimgym
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgym » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:19 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:54 pm
The SNP and Sturgeon, hasn't been perfect. I cannot defend them on many aspects, such as the drug deaths. As to NHS Scotland V NHS England performances, both have, in my opinion, failed. There's little between those failures and it's incredible how oppositions highlight failures yet ignore their own.

I don't defend any political party as I believe they all have faults. The Tories are in power overall just now, with possibly the poorest Government in recent history. The SNP have performed badly in some key areas, such as Health and Education. They have done well in others. Labour under Starmer, is poor. Under Corbyn, poorer. They aren't a credible alternative to the Tories, which is quite incredible, seeing as to how poorly the tories are doing.
An excellent, balanced post. Strangely I agree with you on many points!

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 3042
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgward » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:50 pm

From Gov.uk

"In England, 5.5 million people are currently waiting for treatment, at least 900,000 more than before the pandemic. They are waiting for interventions ranging from tests or scans to support diagnosis through to non-emergency surgery. More than 300,000 people have now been waiting for over a year for such care, and while average waiting times are nearly half what they were at their peak in July 2020 at around ten weeks,they are still around 40 per cent longer than before the pandemic.

In Scotland, the waiting list for inpatient treatment has increased from 79,000 to 97,000 since the start of the pandemic. 23,000 people have now been waiting over a year.

In Wales, the waiting list for such treatment has grown to 625,000, up from 462,000 before the pandemic. More than 200,000 people have been waiting over 36 weeks.

In Northern Ireland, the waiting list for inpatient treatment has also increased from 93,000 to 113,000. Around 66,000 people have been waiting over a year."

This shows Wales the worst for waiting times, followed by NI, then England, then Scotland.... However, I take all these with a pinch of salt. They are all bad and we didn't deal with the Pandemic well.

Someone thought to build temporary hospitals in exhibition centres, to deal with Covid. An infectious virus transmitted by airborne moisture. In large halls, with canvas screens and poor ventilation.

We used them for vaccinations and not much else. Then closed them, when Outpatients treatment for many could have been held there.

Jim B
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jim B » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:24 am

From the Office of National Statistics.


https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3 ... UpMJx5qrCA

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 3042
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgward » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:33 pm

Jim B wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:24 am
From the Office of National Statistics.


https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3 ... UpMJx5qrCA
Shortages of lorry drivers that have beset supply chains are primarily the result of a lack of EU workers due to Covid and Brexit, according to official statistics.

Research from theOffice for National Statistics (ONS) has laid bare the impact of workers heading back home since the onset of the Covid crisis, with stricter immigration disincentivising them to come back.

One in four businesses are struggling to fill roles as a result of a sharp reduction in the supply of suitable applicants caused by EU workers leaving the UK, the statistics show.

This proportion rises to 46 per cent among transport and storage businesses, highlighting the acute hiring difficulties haulage firms are facing.

High migration levels have depleted labour supply for many sectors of the British economy, causing supply chain issues and shortages of products and raw materials.

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 3042
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgward » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:34 pm

Anyone who thinks shortages of key staff is just a Covid issue, is blindly ignoring the effect of Brexit occurring simultaneous with Covid.

It will get worse. Most sectors are suffering badly with shortages. The numbers who left the UK are much higher than expected.

The Aquila
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:12 am

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by The Aquila » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:21 am

The USA also have a shortage of HGV drivers so anyone that thinks this is a result of Brexit is blindly trying to blame all of the worlds problems on Brexit!

Jim B
Posts: 2398
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jim B » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:42 am

Quoted is a report by the ONS which is after all a Government department.
There has always been shortage of skilled and semi skilled labour, I know because I used to be involved in recruitment for our projects but the report is saying that Brexit compounded the problem of shortages of labour in the UK right across the board.

Post Reply