Nuclear war

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Pete the highwayman

Nuclear war

Post by Pete the highwayman »

Afternoon
There is a very good article in the marvellous daily mail today,
It’s entitled how a fist fight in the Himalayas could spark a nuclear war that engulfs the world,
It’s written by mark almond who is the director of the crisis research institute oxford
Keep smiling and be lucky
Pete
lotus

Re: Nuclear war

Post by lotus »

That's it cheer us all up !!😉
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I'm surprised that you would even read such rubbish, let alone believe it. There are always many checks and measures before anything serious could happen, beyond a minor border skirmish.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Would this thread be better placed in another forum?

eg........... viewforum.php?f=62
Pete the highwayman

Devil
As you know from another forum I buy and read the marvellous daily mail
And the glorious sun newspaper every day and if I see a decent article on them
I ask people to read them I don’t think the article is rubbish I think it’s news
And if anybody wants to know why I read them two papers it’s because on another forum,
They called them two newspaper toerags but I like the way the reporters in the mail
Write the articles very slowly because they know I can’t read very fast
Pete
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Pete I too read the daily Mail that some others on here 'rubbish' .. Some prefer other papers and I accept that with no problems, and without whinging about it ..
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Trev
I don't think anyone whinges about you reading the Daily Mail, that is entirely your prerogative, what we.whinge about is people trying to pass it off as a newspaper.
Being from Liverpool I do not read the Sun as it was also proven to print lies and anyway it's not sold on Merseyside as it is boycotted by the people there.
The Mail is banned as a news source on many social media outlets due to the many inaccuracies and lies it prints.

Jim
Pete the highwayman

How can the second best selling newspaper after the sun be liars
From my experience people who read the toffee nose papers leave a lot to be desired
Pete
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Pete the highwayman wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:18 pm How can the second best selling newspaper after the sun be liars
From my experience people who read the toffee nose papers leave a lot to be desired
Pete
Google it, go and ask the families of the Hillsborough 96 what their opinion of the Sun is.
Really it depends on what your experience of life is doesn't it, I don't think many of the families of the 96 are toffee nosed.

Jim
Pete the highwayman

Jim
I don’t have to google it like politicians every newspaper tells lies
It’s who tells the biggest lies
Pete
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Pete the highwayman wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:49 pm Jim
I don’t have to google it like politicians every newspaper tells lies
It’s who tells the biggest lies
Pete
True but the Mail prints more than it's fair share, like the Sun.

There was a survey on the Mail of eleven stories, seven of which were outright lies, two had a semblance of truth and the last two were truthful. Now if that's acceptable to you , what can I say.
Wikipedia has banned the Mail from being a news source to any item in their listings due to its unreliability in providing truthful information.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Judging from the mitigated truthfulness of Wikipedia, if they ban a newspaper as a source of information, it must be pretty bad.

On the whole, Wikipedia, like Encyclopaedia Britannica, tries to give the truth. Neither (and other sources) is 100% accurate, particularly when they source information from third parties. Even Reuters can make mistakes and these may be retransmitted by "news" sources, such as tabloid newspapers and even the broadsheets. Take everything you read with the largest pinch of salt that your fingers can hold.

Do not believe me? Then take that pinch of salt and read this again. No source of information can ever be 100% accurate and, as a general rule, read your newspapers with a large dose of scepticism.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Devil
There is an interview with Jimmy Wale the founder of Wikipedia on Youtube as to why it was decided to ban the Daily Mail.
Of course that won't stop people reading it but it may stop people believing it.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lloyd
I tend not to read any of the "Red Tops" though I may read the odd article on line if it catches my eye. Theres too many good news outlets about to waste time reading propaganda, better off reading the Dandy or the Beano.
The Express is in a league of it's own.

Jim