No excuse for this

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
WHL

Re: No excuse for this

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:55 pm Many native Brits (should I say white peoplet Or Caucasians) to be politically correct, are feeling that these days, the ethnic minorities make so much noise complaining that their rights are being abused and demanding the state redress each and every grievance.
That they feel it is the ordinary non coloured people who are now more at risk of being able to lead theIr normal lives. To walk in the street safely, get timely medical or hospital treatments are just two of their concerns.. The more those people get the more they want. Even English religious practices are in danger, as some object to Christmas being celebrated!
Crazy.

Dee
People moaning about ethnic minorities in the UK, asking for equal conditions, while choosing to live in a country two thousand miles away, as an ethnic minority,Please remind us how many times, people have complained on here about not getting the same rights as Cypriots?, the Irony is too much
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

WHL - almost as ironic as people living in an EU country as immigrants, objecting to immigration to the UK and supporting Brexit!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:45 pm WHL - almost as ironic as people living in an EU country as immigrants, objecting to immigration to the UK and supporting Brexit!
Not to mention, moaning about immigrants not learning the language, and all living in the same area, etc etc,ring any bells :lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:45 am And when police go around slashing tyres of cars in carparks, so that the people using the cars can later be nabbed for breaching the curfew, you have to admit they have a point.
Is that legal in the US?
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:19 pm
Dominic wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:45 am And when police go around slashing tyres of cars in carparks, so that the people using the cars can later be nabbed for breaching the curfew, you have to admit they have a point.
Is that legal in the US?
As legal as someone kneeling on someones neck, until the life drains out of them, im guessing :cry:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

If they knocked down or got rid of everything related to the Slave Trade in Liverpool the City would end up a village.

Jim
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Its no Joke, they may be next
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Pete the highwayman

Post by Pete the highwayman »

Evening
Yes I agree with you also the policewoman that was thrown from her horse
In the news tonight the bolting horse then ran into a woman injuring her
These people are not demonstrating it’s just rent a mob
Keep smiling and be lucky
Pete
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I'm not siding either way but it was stated on a number of news outlets like Sky and the BBC the police lady road into a traffic light and this was what knocked her off her horse, not the actions of any protestors.
I do not condone violence from either the protestors or police and believe we should stick to the facts and not let emotion colour what actually happened.
Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The video of this accident that I have seen, showed the lady hit the traffic light. But the horse was running seemingly out of control. It was stated that the horse had bolted because of something thrown at it, but I did not see that.. However I did see people throwing / rolling bicycles actually into the horses..
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:54 am I do not condone violence from either the protestors or police and believe we should stick to the facts and not let emotion colour what actually happened.
I do condone police violence as long as it´s kept to the very minimum necessary for law enforcement (and that includes curfews).
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:54 am I'm not siding either way but it was stated on a number of news outlets like Sky and the BBC the police lady road into a traffic light and this was what knocked her off her horse, not the actions of any protestors.
I do not condone violence from either the protestors or police and believe we should stick to the facts and not let emotion colour what actually happened.
Jim
I agree Jim! Unfortunately with a minority of protestors you will get violent ones, and the same with police, again a minority who feel it's acceptable to use too much force because they feel their badge will protect them, and it often does, sadly.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Like you Trev I never saw the whole incident though the reporters said she lost control of the horse and it ran into the traffic light. How or why I don't know specifically what caused her to lose control and get injured but wish her a speedy recovery.
I remember many years ago queuing to get into Goodison Park and they used horses to Sheppard the crowd into lines so you could pay at the gate. We had one of these police horses standing next to us (they are big, about 18 hands at the shoulder) when it suddenly raised its head and then brought it down on top of the head of a man standing next to me, knocking him unconscious. The horse just careered into the crowd in fright knocking people left right and centre.
Peaceful day, peaceful crowd,; the question is are horses suitable for crowd control as they're very skittish by nature?

Jimo
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Like virtually all vegetarians, horses are naturally skittish because they have to be on the lookout for hunters.

Years ago I read, or saw on TV, an interview with a US cowboy (I mean the cattle herding type) who said that they take dogs with them on the trail to cheer them up. Otherwise the constant worry vibe of the cattle and the horses would lead to depression. Something like that anyway. Its the difference between the hunter and the hunted.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

jeba wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:42 am
Jim B wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:54 am I do not condone violence from either the protestors or police and believe we should stick to the facts and not let emotion colour what actually happened.
I do condone police violence as long as it´s kept to the very minimum necessary for law enforcement (and that includes curfews).
A dictionary definition of the word 'Violence'

" behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something "
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:38 am
jeba wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:42 am
A dictionary definition of the word 'Violence'

" behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something "
What´s your point?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The point is I would not expect the police to "intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone".
Restrain them, yes.. Dissuade them with Tazers or rubber bullets, yes.. Use Water cannon, yes.
But intend to kill someone, no..
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:03 am The point is I would not expect the police to "intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone".
Restrain them, yes.. Dissuade them with Tazers or rubber bullets, yes.. Use Water cannon, yes.
But intend to kill someone, no..
It said or kill, not and kill. And even that would be justified in my book if it´s the last resort. Not if killing is the intent but when it´s accepted as "collateral damage" when trying to incapacitate an offender from continuing their offense or fleeing.
Last edited by jeba on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I haven't written "and kill" and i don't see the difference, they will still be dead. .... But no worries Jeba, we will just have to differ on police brutality ..
Trev..
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:37 am I haven't written "and kill" and i don't see the difference, they will still be dead. .... But no worries Jeba, we will just have to differ on police brutality ..
Actually we don´t. What we differ on is what is regarded police brutality. Think e. g. of a hijacker theratening to kill the hostage. Should police not be allowed to shoot him even if it meant he could be fatally wounded?