YellowHammer Docs releases

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half hour youtube video. Also, we want you to win your debate by the strength of your argument. Attacking your opponent weakens your argument.
Jimgward

YellowHammer Docs releases

Post by Jimgward » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Except No. 15 - assumed to relate to NI border

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ns_CDL.pdf

Jimgward

Re: YellowHammer Docs releases

Post by Jimgward » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 pm

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:01 am

According to reports the document released was a redacted version of Yellowhammer, the original being 150 pages; we shall wait and see.
Andrea Leadson stated the government didn't wish to release it in case it frightened the public.

Jim

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:58 am

Surely that hedge fund figure is pretty meaningless. Hedge funds, in my fairly limited experience of the city, are used to offset some of the risks that the rest of the bank have taken. So if most of the bank are buying shares on the assumption that there will be a deal, it would make sense to have some bets on there being a no deal, thereby hedging your bets.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Les Bean

Post by Les Bean » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:56 am

Dominic wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:58 am
Surely that hedge fund figure is pretty meaningless. Hedge funds, in my fairly limited experience of the city, are used to offset some of the risks that the rest of the bank have taken. So if most of the bank are buying shares on the assumption that there will be a deal, it would make sense to have some bets on there being a no deal, thereby hedging your bets.
I think the implication is that Boris and his cronies may have a financial gain agenda in pushing for a no deal

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:08 am

Yes I got that. I was saying that that isn't necessarily the case. However, having done a quick google it would appear that a hedge fund is now something different to what it was in the mid 90s, when I had first hand experience of supporting their I.T.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Hedge funds are morally wrong to be able to ‘bet’ on businesses failing, currencies depreciating and shares collapsing. It allows consortia (illegal) of them to cooperate in affecting prices. However, we know it happens and it is detrimental to everyone but themselves.

jeba

Post by jeba » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:46 pm
Hedge funds are morally wrong to be able to ‘bet’ on businesses failing, currencies depreciating and shares collapsing. It allows consortia (illegal) of them to cooperate in affecting prices. However, we know it happens and it is detrimental to everyone but themselves.
Not really because that way they offer sort of insurance to their counterparties.