The Joy of brexit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: The Joy of brexit

Post by Dominic » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:27 am
Dominic wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:43 pm
Not being in the EU certainly hasn't harmed the UK in terms of COVID vaccines.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/third-covid-v ... 07951.html
And what about the rest? :lol:

The UK has been much better at getting vaccines sorted than the EU.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/europes-co ... 1610015400

https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/e ... -1.1140528

etc
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:18 pm

I have to say that the Vaccine pre-purchasing by the UK has been the single bright light of the entre Pandemic for us. The ONLY decision I can think of, where the Government got it right. (or appears to have - although failure would be down to the Pharmas)

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:20 pm

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:58 pm

This is what Brexit is all about.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 83331.html

Jim

bromerzz

Post by bromerzz » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:59 pm

Must say I like the style of the new UK blue passport my wife received today. It has your photo in 3 places and lots of it is encapsulated. Can't wait to renew mine this summer.

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:59 am

bromerzz wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:59 pm
Must say I like the style of the new UK blue passport my wife received today. It has your photo in 3 places and lots of it is encapsulated. Can't wait to renew mine this summer.
That should keep you entertained for hours.

Jim

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:15 pm

I renewed mine early - just so it would stay Red.
It is I, LeClerc

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:42 pm

Jim B wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:58 pm
This is what Brexit is all about. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 83331.html Jim

Many similiar stories Jim. This can hardly be regarded a Brexit bonus either. Catastrophic for those concerned:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-fishermen- ... 59634.html

First few paras:

Fishermen are halting exports to Europe because new border bureaucracy introduced by the government as part of Brexit is making their business unviable.

Exporters now have to deal with new health certificates, customs declarations and other paperwork if they want to sell to the EU, the largest market for much of the UK's catch.

Describing the situation as a "catastrophe", businesses said orders from Europe were also drying up because of Boris Johnson's new trade barriers.

Seafood is highly perishable and relies on a seamless flow across borders, but small test consignments sent to France and Spain that would normally take one day are now taking three or more days, if they get through at all.

It is also taking five hours for firms to secure a health certificate from authorities, a document required to apply for other customs paperwork.

"Our customers are pulling out," Santiago Buesa, director of SB Fish told the Reuters news agency. "We are fresh product and the customers expect to have it fresh, so they're not buying. It's a catastrophe."

Meanwhile David Noble, another exporter who buys from Scottish fleets to export to Europe, told the same agency that the new Brexit bureaucracy was costing between £500-£600 pounds a day and wiping out most of the profit.

"If our fish is too expensive our customers will buy elsewhere," he said.

Donna Fordyce, chief executive at Seafood Scotland, said: "The last 48 hours has really delivered what was expected - new bureaucratic non-tariff barriers, and no one body with the tools to be able to fix the situation.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:51 pm

Dominic wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pm

The UK has been good, but as someone pointed out a week or two ago to a UK politician's boastful claim, "This is not a race".

Given its abject failure on so many fronts - which is why it has one of the World's worst Covid death totals - it is pleasing to see the UK get it's a**e into gear in at least this regard.

Israel is ahead of almost everyone, but so what? What matters is that the vaccine is rolled out across the world as quickly as possible. One country made relatively safe by the vaccine is still vulnerable if other countries lag far behind.

On a separate note, for it's size and infrastructure I think Cyprus is doing an excellent job.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:37 pm

bromerzz wrote:
Made in Belgium, I think

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:52 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:51 pm
Dominic wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pm

The UK has been good, but as someone pointed out a week or two ago to a UK politician's boastful claim, "This is not a race".

Yes it is. The countries that get into gear quickly will save more lives. There are no higher stakes than that.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:04 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:37 pm
bromerzz wrote:
Made in Belgium, I think
Jim W
Actually they're made in Poland by a French/Dutch company.
The British company that used make the old maroon passports lost the contract.

Jim

Diocletian

Post by Diocletian » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:22 pm

I think it's all great. Scottish fish is very expensive, really! Try living in Wales and buying Welsh lamb.......you need a bloody mortgage lol
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:59 pm

Is New Zealand Lamb cheaper ?
Trev..

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:09 am

Scottish fish and shellfish is what’s used all over the Mediterranean. Th Spanish, French and many others will suffer because of the problems, but methinks not enough to change anything

Diocletian

Post by Diocletian » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:39 am

trevnhil wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:59 pm
Is New Zealand Lamb cheaper ?
Markedly, yes but all frozen.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:03 pm

Scottish fish prices ‘collapsing’ by as much as 80% due to Brexit bureaucracy, industry warns
Exporters are struggling to get their produce across the EU border in time due to additional safety checks and administration

https://apple.news/APcbhnB0FQTG6tjN8-gpLvw

Scottish fish exporters have warned that prices are "collapsing" due to delays shipping goods to the EU after Brexit.

The burden of red tape has led to a backlog of seafood which cannot make it across the border in time to be sold at markets in France and beyond. With limited access to their main customers Scottish fishermen have been faced with a glut of perishable goods.
At the fish market in Peterhead on Monday, prices of some items had plunged as much as 80 per cent below normal levels as sellers sought desperately to offload their catch.
Industry trade body Scotland Food & Drink said that one-third of the Scottish fishing fleet was now tied up in harbour with some boats sailing to Denmark instead of the UK to avoid "Brexit bureaucracy".
Fish landed in Denmark and then transported by road to France and Spain remains within the single market, so avoids customs and food safety checks.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:01 pm