Weed Killer Dog Safe

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Oakland

Weed Killer Dog Safe

Post by Oakland »

Hi Guys

We have a large dog run which this year has extensive weeds growing , we cut them down but they generate in no time, maybe its the beer the dogs drink .
Can anyone recommend a Weed Killer which is safe for Dogs and where to get it .
P.s the Dogs prefer wine .

Les
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Weed Killer Dog Safe

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I suggest to use a petrol lawnmower instead of any pesticide. It will become quite nice after a couple of cuts, not Wimbledon though....

Max
J B

Post by J B »

Oakland wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:16 pm ...........
Can anyone recommend a Weed Killer which is safe for Dogs ..........
Glyphosate (Roundup etc) is supposed to be pet safe after a couple of hours and, although it takes a while, it kills from the roots up so should be longer lasting
J B
Oakland

Post by Oakland »

Hi JB

Roundup and such like are Systemic Weed Killer , and as such the chemicals are absorbed through the leaves and penetrant down to the roots to kill everything.
My thought is that once applied and absorbed into the leaves, I would suspect would be dangerous, as dogs and cats eat the leaves .

I will do more research on the safety factor .

But thanks for the response

Les
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

When we had Labradors, we used Roundup occasionally on the lawn or graveled areas in the large garden.we used to spray it in the evening, after the dogs had been fed and walked. They slept inthe house at night. By the morning, the spray had been absorbed and the ground had dried where it had been applied.
There was no problem with the dogs health.
Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I too use Roundup on my paved areas, I spray when it's warm and dry, and my cat's asleep in the house.

I have used Roundup that way for years, and non of my cats have ever had a bad reaction.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.