Anyone heard of MAXPHONE ?

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
fishbeardsunset

Anyone heard of MAXPHONE ?

Post by fishbeardsunset »

Has anyone had experience in purchasing this phone which has received good reviews from several websites I have visited.
It is only available directly through the vendor's website but it is cheap at 139 euros :o .
It is an Android phone but I cannot find which version it uses.

https://blessedreviews.com/maxphone-reviews/

Any feedback would be welcome as I need to upgrade my old Samsung galaxy S4 which I keep putting off, as I really haven't a clue what I am buying
Thanks
Uncle D

Re: Anyone heard of MAXPHONE ?

Post by Uncle D »

On the face of it, its a great deal.
About 3 years ago I bought an Oppo A5 from the UK, it was a new brand and unknown but cheap even compered to other chinese brands like xiuomi etc. it is a good phone and has updated itself to Android 12, Ive never had any issues at all.
The only problem really is I don't think that they sell Oppo in Cyprus so if I may find it hard to get any kind of repair. the Maxfone would probably have the same problem as its only available to buy on line, but for that kind of money, I think that its worth it.
David
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

fishbeardsunset wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:32 am Has anyone had experience in purchasing this phone which has received good reviews from several websites I have visited.
It is only available directly through the vendor's website but it is cheap at 139 euros :o .
It is an Android phone but I cannot find which version it uses.

https://blessedreviews.com/maxphone-reviews/

Any feedback would be welcome as I need to upgrade my old Samsung galaxy S4 which I keep putting off, as I really haven't a clue what I am buying
Thanks
That website reads like the reviews are auto-generated.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

I have a ‘cordless house phone’ by MaxCom, purchased several years ago from Stephanis. It’s ok, but not sure whether it’s the same company but it might be…
fishbeardsunset

Hi Thanks everyone for your comments and observations . I was rather hoping to hear from someone that had actually gone ahead and purchased one seeing as I have now visited at least 5 different websites and they have all given excellent reviews (albeit some may have been auto generated)

I suppose its gonna be a gamble, but with the prices of new Samsung phones and others, I suppose it may be a solution to my needs
Does anyone now if my sim card would be just able to just slot in (I am with Prime-Tel)?? but am not technically minded to understand whether it will be compatible :?

Other than that, I could take visit to the new electronics store that has opened- but I suppose as with "Public" and the other phone shops in the Mall in Paphos they are bound to be fairly expensive :roll:

Trouble is, even though I hate them and still cannot embrace this technology- for some reason- you cannot do anything these days particularly banking,
(log ins!) and transfers of money where you get sent an SMS text to approve and authorise payments. etc....

Oh welll!!!!!
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

You may want to check out the fact that it appears not to support 4g or 5g. That would be a show-stopper for me, but it really depends on your intended use.

Disadvantages
Incompatible 4G/5G Coverage
One of the newest trends concerning top-speed networks is 5G and 4G comes right after. A 5G network provides faster network speed while browsing which means you have a better network when you stream videos, play online games, download, play music online, make voice and video calls, etc. Although a 4G network is not as fast as a 5G network, it comes close.

However, these features are not available with a Max phone as it does not offer compatibility with the signals from 4G or 5G internet. It means you might not enjoy the fast internet coverage that a 4G or 5G provides but you will be able to surf the internet regardless.
J B

Post by J B »

I have a Motorola Moto G 31
It's my third Moto phone
Simple and inexpensive android phone

Regarding swapping from your Samsung - make sure it's connected to your Google account before you stop using it, then when you get a new Android phone and enter log into your Google account, it will transfer all your contacts etc
Whatsapp and Texts and maybe a little more complex but we can cross that bridge when we get to it
J B
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

fishbeardsunset wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:22 am I suppose its gonna be a gamble, but with the prices of new Samsung phones and others, I suppose it may be a solution to my needs
Does anyone now if my sim card would be just able to just slot in (I am with Prime-Tel)?? but am not technically minded to understand whether it will be compatible :?
The sim card will be compatible but if your Sim its too big or too small go to a Primetel shop and they will swap it for you.
David
fishbeardsunset

Thanks everyone for more helpful advice- just wanted to know that in the event that the sim card has to be changed- can I still keep my existing
phone number (:oops: sorry to be so ignorant in these matters)

To put things into perspective I don't use the phone for surfing, gaming or listening to music and may take the occasional photo- but rely on my digital camera for that anyway..
I mainly use myfaithful Dell desktop computer for everything anyway- I used to have two tablets but the battery went down on them so have never bothered to replace them (they were a free giveaway with Primetel so they didn't cost me anything).

I suppose I only really need to use the phone in emergencies, when I am out and for receiving calls and text messages- never use e-mail on it as I have the PC- and cannot get used to such small buttons- hence I am super fast with proper keyboards.

I am so old fashioned it's unbelievable- and the more I sit next to people on the bus with their videos playing at full volume the more "pixxed" off I get
with the whole lot :( :(
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

fishbeardsunset wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:36 am Thanks everyone for more helpful advice- just wanted to know that in the event that the sim card has to be changed- can I still keep my existing
phone number (:oops: sorry to be so ignorant in these matters)

To put things into perspective I don't use the phone for surfing, gaming or listening to music and may take the occasional photo- but rely on my digital camera for that anyway..
I mainly use myfaithful Dell desktop computer for everything anyway- I used to have two tablets but the battery went down on them so have never bothered to replace them (they were a free giveaway with Primetel so they didn't cost me anything).

I suppose I only really need to use the phone in emergencies, when I am out and for receiving calls and text messages- never use e-mail on it as I have the PC- and cannot get used to such small buttons- hence I am super fast with proper keyboards.

I am so old fashioned it's unbelievable- and the more I sit next to people on the bus with their videos playing at full volume the more "pixxed" off I get
with the whole lot :( :(
It sounds like you dont need a smart phone at all, I got this for my MiL last week, big buttons largish screen
https://www.stephanis.com.cy/en/product ... nes/382651
David
fishbeardsunset

:D Ahhh yes that's more like it.... but, I actually still have my NOKIA phone that I used to use- but because I talk to friends in the UK via
Whatsapp I will have to replace mine with a smartphone....

My Samsung Galaxy S4 is actually fine for my needs (and still using the same battery since 2016!) but unfortunately, it only has Android 5.1 and therefore cannot use my new anti-virus protection software- (which I have on my PC) so obviously,I don't do any banking or surfing due to security reasons- but other than that it has been an unbelievably good phone considering its age and being bashed about in my rucksack- but it won't last forever.....and that's the thing I need to address within the next few months ideally.

I think perhaps the best option is to go into Stephanis and buy a phone there and just be done with it- as buying stuff online can be problematic. I actually e-mailed MAXPHONE's customer service direct in Hong Kong for some additional information- about shipping, and specs, but they did not respond :roll:

Thanks everyone for their views/etc :D
J B

Post by J B »

So basically, it ain't broke but you want to fix it? :?

Maybe you should google "do I need anti virus on my mobile phone" and when you see that the answer is NO, especially as you "don't do banking etc", you can 'keep calm and carry on'! :D :lol:

PS - we have an old Huwawei phone running Android 4 with our CYTA SIM in it - it works perfectly
J B
fishbeardsunset

:D Hi JB

The problem is more and more apps will only work on the latest Android updates- so if it were not for the fact that "Whatsapp" are shortly not going to support any devices such as my 5.1 android version, then I would be ok... Similarly, with my 2023/4 MCafee antivirus it will not run on my phone so that is another reason I need to upgrade..for security reasons as well- even as you have pointed out I do no do banking :roll: ....
Just have to keep looking- but it is such a bloody minefield out there in respect of what to buy..
J B

Post by J B »

Personally I wouldn't put McCafee on my phone if you paid me, but hey ho! :lol:

Before you change, do ensure that your Whatsapp chat is backed up - I think it's supposed to do it automatically, but is rather temperamental.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

:D
J B