Fresh calcium milk

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Tremigirl

Fresh calcium milk

Post by Tremigirl »

Has anyone seen any fresh calcium milk in the shops as haven’t seen any for over a week now.
Thank you.
J B

Re: Fresh calcium milk

Post by J B »

As an ex dairy farmer, I'm intrigues as to what this product is!

Do tell. :)
J B
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sounds good,
But calcium on its own isn't ideal. It should be taken with magnesium. I take both in one tablet daily, which also contains vit D. In this form it's easier for the body to fully absorb it. Job done'. Probably also works out cheaper than drinking a higher priced milk. These tablets also come in different strengths, so you know how much you are taking.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Re vitamin D , there's enough sunshine over here for everyone to get their daily dose without taking tablets, or have i got it wrong?
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Wait For It !!!!

It's Cypriot Sun = It won't be as good as the Sun you can get in other places
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:21 am Re vitamin D , there's enough sunshine over here for everyone to get their daily dose without taking tablets, or have i got it wrong?
Actually at this time of the year it is enough to expose the body (bathing costume, no sun cream) for about 20 minutes to the Cyprus sun to get enough vitamin D. You should not have a shower after that for at least some hours to give the skin enough time to react.
Concerning time of the day: At the moment between 10 AM and 3 PM. A simple way is to measure the shade your body produces. The optimum is when your shade is no longer than your body height.

Max
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I agree that with the normal healthy lifestyle it is totally unnecessary to have adulterated milk. When we were newly married, we used to love the milk that the local dairy left on our doorstep every morning. A pint bottle would have six or seven cm of cream floating on the top. It was as it came out of the cow, unpasteurised, unhomogenised, untreated – the herd was tuberculin tested and grazed on real grass. The stuff we buy today is not real milk but a poor apology of what it pretends to be.
kansas

Post by kansas »

According to my rheumatologist the sun will not give you sufficient Vit D as you age. This was also confirmed by George Vorkas, the radiologist. In fact he was quite cross that I didn't know this. So I take a Vit D supplement as well as getting a daily dose of sunshine.

With regard to taking calcium supplements, Vit K2 helps the absorption. Goats kefir is an excellent source of Vit K2 as well as calcium.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

kansas wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:10 am According to my rheumatologist the sun will not give you sufficient Vit D as you age. This was also confirmed by George Vorkas, the radiologist. In fact he was quite cross that I didn't know this. So I take a Vit D supplement as well as getting a daily dose of sunshine.
According to my source your experts are wrong.

Author: Dr. Hubert Glaser(President of the German Society for Health)

"For fair-skinned people at a younger age, intensive sunbathing for about 12 minutes is sufficient for an adequate supply of vitamin D3. During this period of time, the body produces 250-500 µg or 10,000-20,000 IU of the hormone-like vitamin with the help of the UVB portion of the sun's rays."

It is well known that with age above 70 the absorption is 75% less, however 75% from 20.000 IU is still much more than you take with supplements...

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

All I can add is that my Rheumatologist has told me to take a Vitamin D capsule every day
Trev..
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:44 am
kansas wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:10 am According to my rheumatologist the sun will not give you sufficient Vit D as you age. This was also confirmed by George Vorkas, the radiologist. In fact he was quite cross that I didn't know this. So I take a Vit D supplement as well as getting a daily dose of sunshine.
According to my source your experts are wrong.

Author: Dr. Hubert Glaser(President of the German Society for Health)

"For fair-skinned people at a younger age, intensive sunbathing for about 12 minutes is sufficient for an adequate supply of vitamin D3. During this period of time, the body produces 250-500 µg or 10,000-20,000 IU of the hormone-like vitamin with the help of the UVB portion of the sun's rays."

It is well known that with age above 70 the absorption is 75% less, however 75% from 20.000 IU is still much more than you take with supplements...

Max
My rheumatologist must be wrong too as she says I have to take vitamin D supplements
I’m a member of a Facebook group for psoriatic arthritis & most of the members take vitamin D supplements too
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
kansas

Post by kansas »

Maybe it's best then to consider all the options - sunlight, supplements, food sources, particularly as it's so important to prevent thinning of the bones especially if one has a higher risk from long term inflammatory conditions such as arthritis or osteoporosis.

I had a Vit D test last year and since increasing my intake my levels have increased to above average. Hopefully I'm doing something right......
kansas

Post by kansas »

Maybe it's best then to consider all the options - sunlight, supplements, food sources, particularly as it's so important to prevent thinning of the bones especially if one has a higher risk from long term inflammatory conditions such as arthritis or osteoporosis.

I had a Vit D test last year and since increasing my intake my levels have increased to above average. Hopefully I'm doing something right......
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

And there we have it! So maybe my calcium tablet regime magnesium, Vit D pill which seemed to
Spark a debate is OK! Without taking it I would probably have symptoms of Osteoporosis now.

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Sadie wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:11 pm I’m a member of a Facebook group for psoriatic arthritis & most of the members take vitamin D supplements too
If it's on Facebook, it must be true!
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Devil wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:58 pm
Sadie wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:11 pm I’m a member of a Facebook group for psoriatic arthritis & most of the members take vitamin D supplements too
If it's on Facebook, it must be true!
Thanks for your flippant reply

It’s actually a facebook support group for the chronic condition psoriatic arthritis which I unfortunately suffer from. Without this group I would have much less knowledge of this little known condition.
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Well thank you for all your medical replies but I only asked if anyone had seen Calcium milk in the shops lately not what it should do for you.
I was advised by my doctor to drink it as I cannot take pills.
So in answer to my question
Has anyone seen Fresh Calcium Milk in the shop lately.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Some of you are bloody rude. The thread got hijacked. Nothing surprising about that. Happens all the time. But then the Op explained what she actually wanted and asked the question again, but you completely ignore her and continue your off-topic conversation.

Don't be so lazy. If you want to help Tremigirl, please answer her question if you know the answer. If you want to discuss Vitamin D, start another topic.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Now, Tremigirl, what is "Calcium milk"? Did your doctor give you a brand name, or did they just mean milk? If I google "Calcium milk" it just gives me information on milk. And if I ask the AI behemoth that is Chat GTP I get the following:

Good afternoon! "Calcium milk" is not a specific term or product name that I am aware of. However, milk is known to be a good source of calcium, as it contains around 300 milligrams of calcium per cup. Calcium is an important mineral that is essential for strong bones and teeth, as well as for other bodily functions such as nerve transmission and muscle contraction. So, drinking milk can be a good way to get calcium in your diet. Other good sources of calcium include dairy products like yogurt and cheese, as well as leafy green vegetables, fortified foods and supplements.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.