David Hunter Court verdict

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Kili01

David Hunter Court verdict

Post by Kili01 »

Just seen on ‘In Cyprus’ the result of the last court appearance of David Hunter now accused of premeditated murder of his terminally Ill wife and his attempted suicide.
The previous plea of manslaughter which was thrown out by the Judge, has now been replaced with premeditated murder.
His defence lawyers are now preparing a case against the judgement using European law which is different to what the verdict decided.

At this rate the poor man may die in prison where he has been languishing for months between numerous court appearances.
Dee
WHL

Re: David Hunter Court verdict

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:37 pm Just seen on ‘In Cyprus’ the result of the last court appearance of David Hunter now accused of premeditated murder of his terminally Ill wife and his attempted suicide.
The previous plea of manslaughter which was thrown out by the Judge, has now been replaced with premeditated murder.
His defence lawyers are now preparing a case against the judgement using European law which is different to what the verdict decided.

At this rate the poor man may die in prison where he has been languishing for months between numerous court appearances.
Dee
You, like the rest of us, do not know the full facts, speculation is pointless, no more no less.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

On the other hand, it does serve notice to anybody contemplating the same course of actions that on no account should they contact anybody during the procedure.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:45 pm You, like the rest of us, do not know the full facts, speculation is pointless, no more no less.
You are perfectly correct; we do not know the full facts. However there is one fact we do know – he has been in clink for well over a year, without trial and this, by itself, is inhuman under the circumstances.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:35 am
WHL wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:45 pm You, like the rest of us, do not know the full facts, speculation is pointless, no more no less.
You are perfectly correct; we do not know the full facts. However there is one fact we do know – he has been in clink for well over a year, without trial and this, by itself, is inhuman under the circumstances.
I totally agree with you, on how long it is taking, but on the other hand, his own defence team have called for the trail to be halted quite a few times, for different reasons.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:27 am on the other hand, his own defence team have called for the trail to be halted quite a few times, for different reasons.
There is one primordial reason: they charge more and more and more for their piece of silver!
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

This is just typical Cypriot Justice, remember the the english chap who had his villa sold by the developer after he had bought it then spent the next 10+ years trying to get justice only to have the CYPRIOT COURT rule against him !!! this guy is never going to get a fair trial in Cyprus unless he was Cypriot then this would have been dealt with long ago with compassion being felt for the husband
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

living the dream wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:41 am This is just typical Cypriot Justice, remember the the english chap who had his villa sold by the developer after he had bought it then spent the next 10+ years trying to get justice only to have the CYPRIOT COURT rule against him !!! this guy is never going to get a fair trial in Cyprus unless he was Cypriot then this would have been dealt with long ago with compassion being felt for the husband
Please provide a link to a court case where in a similar situation a Cypriot got off.
WHL

Post by WHL »

living the dream wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:41 am This is just typical Cypriot Justice, remember the the english chap who had his villa sold by the developer after he had bought it then spent the next 10+ years trying to get justice only to have the CYPRIOT COURT rule against him !!! this guy is never going to get a fair trial in Cyprus unless he was Cypriot then this would have been dealt with long ago with compassion being felt for the husband
Pure racist clap trap bolox, stick to talking about things you know nothing about , with your mates down the pub, and avoid posting this crap on a sensible forum :roll:
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

living the dream wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:41 am This is just typical Cypriot Justice, remember the the english chap who had his villa sold by the developer after he had bought it then spent the next 10+ years trying to get justice only to have the CYPRIOT COURT rule against him !!!
This is fact!
this guy is never going to get a fair trial in Cyprus unless he was Cypriot then this would have been dealt with long ago with compassion being felt for the husband
This is unworthy speculation!
josef k

Post by josef k »

There is no evidence that courts deal with Cypriots differently to non-Cypriots. People who maintain that there is have probably never been to a court here or had any dealings with the police other than traffic offences. They rely on drunken speculation in some British bar, and probably don't read the local papers so don't know what goes on here in Cyprus. I have been to court (found inocent) and know members of the police force, so I think I know what I am talking about.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

The outcome of this trial has to set a precedent - hence the decision could have far reaching effects.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Living the dreams post was in fact accurate. This really did happen few years ago.Unfortunately, anyone remember Connor O'Dyer, who bought and paid for a property from a builder in the Larnaca area? An unscrupulous developer, the house was sold in Connors absence to another buyer. Despite investing much money in legal help and numerous court hearing promised, they were continually adjourned for one reason or no reason. Eventually Connor lost and lost money. I think he went back to the UK.
Then there was the case of the aBritish girl who was gang raped in Agia Napa. It was an appalling example of flawed justice. Only resolved when her parents engaged top flight lawyers and the backing of an International justice organisation who gave expert advice, was her case brought to the Supreme Court , Nicosia when she was exonerated.
Is justice here guaranteed? I leave it to individuals to decide.
Hence I am unhappy with David Hunter's case which drags on and on.
Dee
jeba

Post by jeba »

The underlying problem is that "killing on demand" or at least assisted suicide is illegal in Cyprus. In other countries it's a human right. I personally know of 2 people who opted to leave Cyprus for that reason when they were terminally ill (my mother was one of them).
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

WHL - I could pretty much say the same about the majority of your posts - and probably unlike you I don’t sit around in pubs with my mates due to my job and when I am at home I prefer to go for an nice meal with the wife
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

jeba wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:36 am The underlying problem is that "killing on demand" or at least assisted suicide is illegal in Cyprus. In other countries it's a human right. I personally know of 2 people who opted to leave Cyprus for that reason when they were terminally ill (my mother was one of them).
It is illegal in a lot of countries, including the UK.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/euthanasi ... d-suicide/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:04 pm Living the dreams post was in fact accurate. This really did happen few years ago.Unfortunately, anyone remember Connor O'Dyer, who bought and paid for a property from a builder in the Larnaca area? An unscrupulous developer, the house was sold in Connors absence to another buyer. Despite investing much money in legal help and numerous court hearing promised, they were continually adjourned for one reason or no reason. Eventually Connor lost and lost money. I think he went back to the UK.
Then there was the case of the aBritish girl who was gang raped in Agia Napa. It was an appalling example of flawed justice. Only resolved when her parents engaged top flight lawyers and the backing of an International justice organisation who gave expert advice, was her case brought to the Supreme Court , Nicosia when she was exonerated.
Is justice here guaranteed? I leave it to individuals to decide.
Hence I am unhappy with David Hunter's case which drags on and on.
Dee
Ok, if you know it to be accurate, then perhaps you can provide a link to a court case where in a similar situation a Cypriot got off. I'm still waiting.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Dominic wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:12 am
jeba wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:36 am The underlying problem is that "killing on demand" or at least assisted suicide is illegal in Cyprus. In other countries it's a human right. I personally know of 2 people who opted to leave Cyprus for that reason when they were terminally ill (my mother was one of them).
It is illegal in a lot of countries, including the UK.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/euthanasi ... d-suicide/
Not all of the UK is it illegal.
Last edited by memory man on Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Is it legal in Scotland then?
WHL

Post by WHL »

living the dream wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:00 am WHL - I could pretty much say the same about the majority of your posts - and probably unlike you I don’t sit around in pubs with my mates due to my job and when I am at home I prefer to go for an nice meal with the wife
One of the reasons I stopped going to expat drinking places, was because all i was hearing was a bunch of ignorant racists crap, that was over thirty years ago, sadly lt seems not much has changed.
The legal system over here is far from perfect, and before people post about corrupt this and that, only this week the largest police force in the UK, the metropolitan police was branded as being bent as a corkscrew and not fit for purpose, lets have some balance before people post crap.