Central Paphos, Old Town and Moutallos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Central Paphos, Old Town and Moutallos

Post by Dominic »

In this film we drive through Central Paphos, Old Town and Moutallos. We finish at Chloraka Green Point. Along the way we highlight the Moutallos Mosque Car Park, as people were asking for good places to park in Old Town, and that place is never too busy. You may also get to meet the Paphos Cat Lady, and at the very least you will see some of the cats she feeds!

At the start of the film you get a feel for what the road will be like when al the roadworks are finished. The route map appears after that, so you can see the finished product without a map covering it.

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Re: Central Paphos, Old Town and Moutallos

Post by Kili01 »

Thanks Dominic, interesting. The top part of Ellados Ave looks nice and is quick and easy to drive. But the bottom part past Paps and beyond feels like a nightmare of cones everywhere, specially when it’s full of crawling traffic. It will be wonderful when it’s finally finished.:.
I was interested to see the Mosque carpark which is hard to find, but usually v lightly used. Why? Because despite there being a nicely renovated Mosque which is visible in the film the gates by it are kept locked. Hence it is unused. Moslems using a shed type of building in Kato Paphos

Dee.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The reason it is less used is because you have to walk a little further from it to get to the shops, compared to the central car park.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Also true…

Dee
ast

Post by ast »

I wonder if the Moutallos Mosque is ever used, everytime I have been near ie in the car park at the rear or driving past it always looks locked up. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Louise :)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It is a shame that this attractive building is kept locked up. Against the convenient argument that it was once a church, one thing that Paphos isn't short of are churches, large and small. In fact there are 2 very large churches, cathedral size. Also Agia Kyriaki ( St Pauls Pillar Church) which is also very old and built on the ruins of a much older temple dating pre Roman period, is successfully shared by 3 religions, Roman Catholic, Anglican and Greek Orthodox.
They all hold their own individual church services there.
Maybe its a pity that Moslem's aren't allowed to hold their services in the Mosque. After all, these days there are probably more Moslems here from many different countries, as well as a small number of Turkish Cypriots.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firstly, mosques tend to be very plain inside, deliberately. You won't find the attractive murals and adornments you get in a Greek Orthodox Church. Secondly, if you want to find out why prayers, aren't held there, I suggest you ask the appropriate organisation who would be able to provide an accurate answer.
Finally, you must know that this is a sensitive topic for the local population, so why on Earth would you compare it to Greek Orthodox Churches? Honestly, you would walk into a firework factory and ask for a light!