Infomir Mag boxes

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
MacManiac

Infomir Mag boxes

Post by MacManiac »

We have been using Mag boxes for some years and are very happy with them. We have a Mag 256 which is showing signs of being tired and a bit glitchy. I am considering “upgrading” to the 500 series (which I believe is the latest version) and have considered the 524 series, but there is also the 540 series. Does anyone have experience of these versions? My provider supports both.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Infomir Mag boxes

Post by Devil »

MacManiac wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:15 pm We have been using Mag boxes for some years and are very happy with them. We have a Mag 256 which is showing signs of being tired and a bit glitchy. I am considering “upgrading” to the 500 series (which I believe is the latest version) and have considered the 524 series, but there is also the 540 series. Does anyone have experience of these versions? My provider supports both.
I did just this a few months ago and was very happy until two days ago when I must've done something stupid!
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

I somehow missed your reply. My apologies and thanks.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

MacManiac wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:11 pm I somehow missed your reply. My apologies and thanks.
STOP PRESS: since my last post a few days ago, I've had Hell's own job with the MAG box. With the 254 model I had no problems for a number of years. I bought the MAG 520 in mid-November and had no problems, once it had been set up, until late December. Since then, I have had to intermittently reboot the box for no apparent reason. I checked with the Infomir help service (incidentally excellent reply times), through their chat box and obtained the post reply quoted below. They obviously place the blame on the TV service. I contacted them, as well, and they place the blame on the MAG box. I have since taken measures to try and apportion curmudgeonly the blame but it may take a week or so before I can come to any conclusion. Sorry!

I hope this helps. If you wish to discuss this in greater detail, I suggest that you may care to send me a private message.

Thank you for contacting Infomir support.

Please note, Infomir is the manufacturer of set-top boxes and software for IPTV/OTT providers and doesn’t provide IPTV/OTT services.

According to the fact that the operation of the box while using a subscription-based service provided by the IPTV provider, largely depends on the server-side, which managed and filled by an administrator of the server. We recommend discussing the issue with your IPTV service provider.

If the provider cannot self-diagnose and solve the problem, ask them to contact us at the support by filling the appropriate form on our site Infomir.eu in the support section and our engineers try to help.

To determine where the problem is. Please try to check how the box will be operating with other IPTV subscriptions from other IPTV providers. Nowadays, a lot of providers provide free test subscriptions for 1-2 days just to check how your device will be operating with them.

Kind Regards,
Anna, Infomir Support Team
holitec

Post by holitec »

I have found MAG boxes can have their MAC address leaked. On several occasions recently we found customers had issues, then when checking their IP address on the server was not theirs. Someone else was watching using their account.

Some providers allow the box to be locked to a specific internet provider, and if that option is available it should be done.

Many providers are moving away from MAG boxes to android/formuler/smart tv etc.

If you are considering a new box I would go for a formuler box.

Regards
Digby
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

I have been using the same provider for years and am delighted with the service. His IPTV is only available on Mag boxes, hence my original question.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:51 pm
MacManiac wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:42 am I have been using the same provider for years and am delighted with the service. His IPTV is only available on Mag boxes, hence my original question.
I don't think that's the case. Formuler boxes' "My tv online" includes reception via mac address exactly the same as mag boxes
Could you explain in more detail? That sounds interesting.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Fascinating stuff from my IPTV provider, who does not allow Formuler boxes because

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019/01 ... n-germany/

So a new Mag box will be required. Only decision is whether to go with 520 series or 540 series.

Thanks to all who have contributed.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I just bought a Formuler box from Amazon Germany – it arrived today!
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Devil wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:27 pm I just bought a Formuler box from Amazon Germany – it arrived today!
Good luck but not for me …