Induction Hobs and Phase 3 electricity

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
MacManiac

Induction Hobs and Phase 3 electricity

Post by MacManiac »

My darling wife has decided she would like an induction hob to replace the gas hob in our kitchen. So off to the shop and look at induction hobs.

We researched induction hobs and read that some of the “cheaper models” did not allow all four cooking zones to be used at the same time. Hmm …

Back to the shop where the very helpful assistant explained that you needed a Phase 3 power supply in an ideal world. Returning home, we obviously had no idea whether our electricity supply was single phase or three phase. Research on the internet showed some people saying three phase was necessary and an equal number saying this was not necessary.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Any clarification would be welcome.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Induction Hobs and Phase 3 electricity

Post by cyprusmax47 »

MacManiac wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:38 am Returning home, we obviously had no idea whether our electricity supply was single phase or three phase.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Any clarification would be welcome.
It is not that difficult to find out if you have 3 phase or not. If you can see 4 cables supply your house, then you know it is 3-phase.
By the way you have also to replace your cookery pots if you want to use induction hobs properly.

Max
Last edited by cyprusmax47 on Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thanks for that, and I’ll go and have a look. Fortunately all our pots are “induction ready”.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Three phase it is, and even confirmed on the meter and the fuse box in our electrical hut at the end of the track (our cables are laid underground for the last two hundred metres). Many thanks Max.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

And your bills will also show if you have 3 or 4 phase supply, at least mine does.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

MacManiac wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:35 am Three phase it is, and even confirmed on the meter and the fuse box in our electrical hut at the end of the track (our cables are laid underground for the last two hundred metres). Many thanks Max.
Well, very good, as you are not restricted in case you want to install a photovoltaic system, you can go for a maximum 10 kWp size,( only with 3-phase connection to the property.)otherwise you are limited to 4 kWp.(2-phase connection)

Max
johnandjen1

Post by johnandjen1 »

Some Induction hobs will run off a 3 pin plug. These are typically lower powered devices.
Choose one which requires wiring to a suitably fused electric oven circuit with its own dedicated on/off switch.

We have had an Induction hob (Neff) in the UK for at least 9 years and have been so impressed we installed one here a couple of years ago. They combine the almost instant on/off ability of a gas hob with the ease of cleaning of electric but not the running costs.
We wouldn’t go back.

Shopping around here after looking at Which and other reviews we decided on one from IKEA.

HTH
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

bromerzz wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:14 am And your bills will also show if you have 3 or 4 phase supply, at least mine does.
Sorry! You have either single phase or three phase connections. With a single phase, you have two wires (live and neutral) plus earth. With three phase, you have three live wires, one neutral wire (not used for distribution but certainly used for households) plus earth. There ain't no such beast as four phase supplies.
J B

Post by J B »

In the UK we have a Rangemaster with FIVE induction rings on the top and two electric ovens.
We have single phase and have never had an issue.

I wonder if the salesperson was being wholly truthful, or maybe his cousin is an electrician :lol:
J B
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:29 am you are limited to 4 kWp.(2-phase connection)

Max
Sorry! But I think you had a slip of the tongue, and that you meant two-wire connection (single phase live and neutral).
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:29 am you are limited to 4 kWp.(2-phase connection)

Max
Sorry! But I think you had a slip of the tongue, and that you meant two-wire connection (live and neutral)
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

J B wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:15 am I wonder if the salesperson was being wholly truthful, or maybe his cousin is an electrician :lol:
There is a quirk in the UK regulations which you never find in countries elsewhere. It's called ring mains because the phase wire normally comes from the fuse box, is connected in turn to the peculiar 13 amp plug and socketry in a ring, one after the other, and back to the fuse box. I think the ring is rated at 30 A or thereabouts, so you can have two or three appliances, each consuming, say, 10 A, all on at the same time without overloading anything. The important point is that the 13 amp plugs each has its own fuse, so you get protection from a faulty appliance without losing power around the rest of the ring.

I'm not sure whether these English regulations are strictly applied in Cyprus – I suspect they aren't! Certainly, there is a range of different plugs and sockets in various European countries and I don't think that any of them use ring mains. The IEE, which is the ruling body in Britain regarding wiring standards, is ignored throughout the rest of Europe.

As an ex-member of the IEE, I used to be familiar with most of the regulations but they change fairly regularly and I am not up to speed on them. As a footnote, the statistics on domestic house fires caused by electrical faults are similar in the UK to the rest of Europe.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

bromerzz wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:14 am And your bills will also show if you have 3 or 4 phase supply, at least mine does.
Confirmed. Thanks.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thanks to you all for your helpful replies. Off to sort out delivery and installation tomorrow. Ann is pleased so I must be too.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Devil wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:22 am

Max
Sorry! But I think you had a slip of the tongue, and that you meant two-wire connection (live and neutral)
You are correct, however if you take things out of context than you act like most of our politicians... :lol:
If you read my whole sentence it is clear what I have meant.
Also it is not necessary to post that twice :) :) was you so excited that I made a mistake :lol:

Max
J B

Post by J B »

Devil wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:52 am
J B wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:15 am I wonder if the salesperson was being wholly truthful, or maybe his cousin is an electrician :lol:
There is a quirk in the UK regulations which you never find in countries elsewhere. It's called ring mains because the phase wire normally comes from the fuse box, is connected in turn to the peculiar 13 amp plug and socketry in a ring, one after the other, and back to the fuse box. I think the ring is rated at 30 A or thereabouts, so you can have two or three appliances, each consuming, say, 10 A, all on at the same time without overloading anything. The important point is that the 13 amp plugs each has its own fuse, so you get protection from a faulty appliance without losing power around the rest of the ring.
I didn't mention 3 pin plug (but others did)
Our Rangemaster is on a 50a dedicated cooker spur (or is it a ring?)
I will check with son-in-law who is NICEIC Electrician
J B
josef k

Post by josef k »

For information, if you look at your electricity bill you will see an entry called Load Ent./Fuse. Its on top left section under your account number. Mine says 30 AMP 3-ph, which means I have 3-phase. If yours says xx AMP 1-ph, then you have single phase.