If only I'd warned...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: If only I'd warned...

Post by Dominic »

Here are some more places that voted Leave:

Birmingham
Bradford
Doncaster
Durham
Milton Keynes
Nottingham
Oldham
Plymouth
Poole
Portsmouth
Rochdale
Rotherham
Sheffield
Southampton
Stoke on Trent
Sunderland
Swansea
Swindon
Walsall
Wakefield
Warrington
Wigan
Wolverhampton
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Many of the towns you listed are predominantly white and don't have a diverse ethnic mix like the major cities I mentioned, so little "White Flight" as you suggested.
My point is and I'm sure you're aware is the the cities with the most diverse ethnic populations in general voted Remain.
Even Birmingham vote was very close citing many first generation Asians voted Brexit so that it would stop free movement and allow more Asian immigration.
The map below confirms that rural areas in the main voted leave.

https://images.app.goo.gl/rmiN54jXkcME38VN6

I'll leave it there.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

If leave voters were after other factors, rather than stopping immigration, then what were those factors and were they achieved? Control, Borders, Economic growth, Jobs, UK businesses? I cannot see how any other factors will make a difference to people lives for the better. In fact, as we always ask, what improvements has Brexit brought? We never get answers.

The reality will be the break-up of the UK in my lifetime.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Money talks, so the song goes...

"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:56 am If leave voters were after other factors, rather than stopping immigration, then what were those factors and were they achieved? Control, Borders, Economic growth, Jobs, UK businesses? I cannot see how any other factors will make a difference to people lives for the better. In fact, as we always ask, what improvements has Brexit brought? We never get answers.

The reality will be the break-up of the UK in my lifetime.
I remember arguing that point with a Leave spokesman before the vote. They came up with some crap expression I had never heard of before. Something like it restoring the "democratic quora". I can't remember the exact term but it was a lot of guff they were unable to define when pressed. What was fun though, was seeing the phrase ripple through social media. Other people would be using it to justify their stance. If you tried to get them to define what they meant they would get all defensive. I remember confronting a Tory Councilor who was using the phrase a lot, and accusing him of verbatim regurgitation of other people's ill-formed beliefs. He went ballistic but was unable to define what he meant by "democratic quora".

Will it lead to the breakup of the UK? I don't know. Possibly. Sturgeon and Co are pretty terrible but they are getting a lot of people voting for them despite that. They can't be voting for them because of their standard policies. It must be because they offer a way out of the UK. I only hope for Scotland's sake that if they get Independence they drop the SNP like a stone.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I was reading through the article on the Pandora Papers in the Guardian and I know there's another post on the matter in General posts but I know Dominic prefers political comments in the Political Section.
There was a pop at Tony saving 300K but I would have thought the question should be is why Russian Oligarchs and other wealthy Russians who are known acolytes of Putin allowed to fund the Tory Party?
I have many Russian friends and the one common denominator is their love for Mother Russia and I wouldn't think having a British Passport would change that.
The present UK government has not acted on the Russian Report and the question is why. It looks like Putin has Johnson in his pocket.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Actually, the forum consensus was that politics should be in the politics section. I tend to make decisions like that reactively, rather than proactively.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PhotoLady wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:04 pm Money talks, so the song goes...

I remember reading that one of the reasons for longer life expectancy with the Baby Boomers has to do with the bland post-war diets they grew up with due to rationing etc. When assorted Governments have tried to introduce healthier diets to schools etc, there have been parent-led protests against it.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic, the majority of people in Scotland (who vote) vote for the SNP as a means to Independence. Once Independent, other parties will gain more votes.

Labour was by far the largest party in Scotland for probably 100 years and people never forgave Blair for Iraq or the way the “Better together” campaign went. A a result, if it wasn’t fr proportional representation in the Scottish parliament, Labour would hardly win a seat.

Starmer never even mentioned gaining seats in Scotland as part of his world-leading plan. They have effectively given up on Scotland.

As would the Tories, IF they had somewhere to locate Trident and wouldn’t lose status worldwide with half the territory and no access to the future of wave power and other natural resources. Dropping from the top-table on the UN, NATO, G7 etc, is the only thing causing the Tories to think twice about ditching Scotland.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Completely ignoring the reported global increase in food prices this year. As for empty shelves in supermarkets, look in Alpha Mega, Phillipos and even Jumbo, loads of empty shelves. What can possibly cause that in the paradise that is the EU!
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The only empty shelves you get here are in the aisles where they sell stuff from the UK.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Diocletian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:00 pm Completely ignoring the reported global increase in food prices this year. As for empty shelves in supermarkets, look in Alpha Mega, Phillipos and even Jumbo, loads of empty shelves. What can possibly cause that in the paradise that is the EU!
Apart from changing their stock for Christmas in Jumbo there are no empty shelves according to the wife who was in their the other day. As Dominic stated the only empty shelves in Philipos are where they sell British goods as in Alpha Mega and I did raise the point about British stock missing from Lidl which has been replaced by items from the Netherlands.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jim B. That’s the tip of the iceberg as you know. The total given out to Tory donors is billions. Serco being a classic example. £37bn and counting. No precious government would have survived one scandal. This lot are untouchable and they know it. Tell enough lies and people stop caring.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

A rather large thread on Twitter this morning - definitely needs a brew, a butty followed by a paracetamol.
Click through the link below and you will find lots of information:

"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:00 pm Completely ignoring the reported global increase in food prices this year. As for empty shelves in supermarkets, look in Alpha Mega, Phillipos and even Jumbo, loads of empty shelves. What can possibly cause that in the paradise that is the EU!
As others have pointed out, the only things missing on supermarkets shelves over here, are UK products, as I run a mile from that processed rubbish. it doesn't make any difference to me.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I found this very interesting, "Led By Donkeys" produce many factual videos and posters.

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Feathering their own nests. If you can't see it go to the Lead By Donkeys website.